Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Extracting Video From a DVD
[Post New]
I'm trying to extract the video from a DVD so that I can edit it. It's just a simple DVD made by Video Memories. They converted an old 8mm to DVD for us. Anyway, when I try to import the two largest .vob files, video comes in alright, but there's no audio. I'm using Power Director v5 on Windows XP. (I can use Vista though.) Is there a way to extract the video & audio into Power Director? I've also tried Power Producer v4 but the same thing happens.

I've tried using Windows Movie Maker to import (Vista) but it doesn't import the whole movie. The audio is there, but it only brings in 24 seconds of the half hour movie.

If no one replies, I'll just take that there's no way to import video & audio. But I'd like any input. These programs came with a video capture devise I ordered so I'll just capture through a DVD player if it doesn't work. But it would be nice to know how to extract the video so I won't have to use the devise. (I mostly use it for VHS.)
[Post New]
Well, no replies...

Thank you people who pondered this question.
armano [Avatar]
Newbie Location: El Salvador Joined: Jan 01, 2007 10:18 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry nobody replied to your post MeMyself&,
I know what you are trying to do, but. I don't think I can advise you any better than what you already tried.
I know that PD6 can import VOB files (QT) with audio and video, but you are using PD5.
In this cases a DVD ripper is a best solution, just like a music cd ripper, there are quite a few free downloads out there. I use AoA(do a google serch)
Last trick without any other step, try more than one time, sometimes it works. No more error messages!
No more crashes!
Great looking videos!!
[Post New]
When you open the dvd. What do you see. If there is more than one vob
file, the sound may be on one of the other files on the dvd. Can you not import the dvd complete? It depends on the format they used when copying the 8mm film.

Jim D
McCullough [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2007 19:19 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
When I want to use the .vob files I've made on my DVR, I just copy them to my hard drive, change the file extension to .mpg and then import them in the edit window. I scoured the internet for programs to convert & found this to be the simplest.

Hope this helps!

Susan
alicebill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 01, 2011 02:31 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
do you mean convert dvd to other video format? I know eahoosoft dvd ripper can do this, with high quanlity and fast speed