Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Camcorder Video Quality
VanHee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 28, 2006 20:51 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I recently purchased a Kodak Z812 IS which is an 8 mp still camera that also produces video clips in 720P High-Definition. I am disappointed with the quality of the clips. This has nothing to do with PowerDirector except I thought the members of this forum could shed some light on my concern. After all, your final product can be no better than the captured video.

Here's a link to a snapshot of one of these 720P videos (cropped to eliminate some sky):
http://myroots.pgvhosting.com/z812_videoframe.JPG

A still photo from the same camera, cropped to fit the screen is here:
http://myroots.pgvhosting.com/z812_still_actual_pixels2.jpg

The video snapshot seems fuzzy, out of focus. I can produce a similar image from the still photo by first reducing it to 220 pixels in height, then taking the 220 pixel image an digitally zooming it to 720 pixels in height. The result is here:
http://myroots.pgvhosting.com/z812_still_220p_to_720p.jpg

My questions are: Am I being too critical? Is this really Hi-Def, or is it up-converted Low-Def?
tatu54 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 15, 2007 09:01 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Right off the bat, I am going to say, "I'm not sure what's going on."

Hey, lots of help, huh?

Why you have the clarity and crispness might be chalked up to one was taken from video (a moving Image) whereas the other was taken from the perspective of a still camera,

The still camera, working from shutter speed, aperture, etc... will give a sharp, clear picture. The vidoe portion just takes a frame and gives you what you got.

Like I said, I DON'T KNOW! Just guessing.

Is the video like that all through the whole thing? It does look like the video (picture) was taken on an overcast day and the still picture end of the camera compemsated for it, hence the clearer of the two.

My greatest concern is that the video end of the video camera is out of whack.

I see where you said you "recently" purchased this camera. Has it been within the last thirty days? (most places offer a refund within the thirty days of buying. Places like Best Buy, Circuit City, even Walmart.)

My suggestion is to, right now, go outside and grab some still images with lots of detail and get a couple feet of video of the same thing. Or when you can come up with a full, sunshiny day that is still within the thirty day thing.

Get your pictures that you took the still images in your computer and get the video in your computer. I'd say don't do anything with these pictures except for resizing on the net. Some are still on dial-up.

Grab some stills from the video that are close to where the still shots were. Post them and lets see what we can see.

Yeah, technology is great, but aggravating when they don't work like you seem to think they should work.

Show us what you got and then we'll discuss and hopefully we can come up with some answers.

Like I siad, I have no idea, but we can have a look and see what we can see!

Dale I never said I was smart, just pretty to look at...

See "Bio" for computer stats.