Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Moving PD10 to another computer - [SOLVED]
[Post New]
I just purchased a new computer and will be moving my PD10 projects over to it. I have a few questions.

1. I assume it is easier/smarter to just re-install PD10 on the new machine than try to move the application files. Yes?

2. When moving the project files do I need to keep all the media (audio, vids, others...) in the same directory structure as the original PC? I'm assuming if I don't I will get errors about unable to locate this and that file on the new PC.

3. Are there any other tips/suggestions any one can offer on having a successful migration of PD10?

All input is appreciated!

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 11. 2012 05:38

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi HighRise955 ,
To retain the contents* of a project go to File>Export>Pack Project Materials and then save in a NEW Folder.

1. make a New folder before packing
2. *Contents = only data in the tracks
3. The folder with the packed project can be moved around on any means
4. The contents is opened by locating the pds file in the folder.

Any further questions please ask.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06. 2012 03:33

[Post New]
As always, spot on perfect advice. Thanks a lot. That will make the migration so much easier.

Thanks!!!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi HighRise955,
Thank you.

As an extra tip, I would also look to migrate data from:
C:\Users\PCName\Documents\CyberLink
Custom Menus
PowerDirector

Save the contents (if you think you need to) of both folders and then "migrate" them into the new computer.

Just an extra thought

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06. 2012 04:30

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Just a good example of why it is a good idea to keep EACH of your projects "stuff" in it's own folder in ONE place... including your saves... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
Everything went well with moving my projects to my new PC. I went from a AMD Athlon II X2 with 4 GB RAM to an Intel i5 with 16 GB RAM. The difference is amazing.

There is only one thing I forgot to ask...

How do I bring over all the content I downloaded from DirectorZone? I looked everywhere on the original PC and I can't seem to locate the folders?

Any input would be appreciated.

HighRise
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
It's been a while since I downloaded stuff from the DZ.

Here's a few places to check:
C:\Users\PCNAME\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\10.0\DirectorZone Download

C:\Users\Public\CyberLink

I forgot to add the method.
Copy and paste - you can rename the contents folders if you wish.
RE: C:\Users\Public\CyberLink\Downloaded Titles\title001
Example: title001 can become DZOldPC001

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 11. 2012 04:46

[Post New]
That did the trick. Didn't even think to look in the "Public" folder.

Thanks again for your help!

HighRise
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
I had to replace my hard drive Friday because the one I had went bad. So I had to do a fresh install of win7. After the install I hook the old drive back up and pull the PowerDirector 10 folder of it that had my projects on it to the new drive. I rename it old PowerDirector. I then install PowerDirector. Then I copy my project out of the old folder I made to the new one and made sure I put the video files where where on the old drive. Load up a project I had been working on and everything was good to go. Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos