Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Screen Capture?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I understand YC can do screencaptures (video). Has anyone tried this? How have the results been? Can you post a link to a capture so I can see it?
I currently have an OEM version. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Barry - it's only me.

I have just purchased YouCam5.0.1129 (Deluxe), purely for the purpose of testing its desktop capture ability.

On mine, some of the quality settings are greyed out = unadjustable! Do other users have this too? or is it just mine? The User Guide doesn't mention these settings, as far as I can tell. Desktop capture is clearly a secondary feature of the software.

Did some test captures & was disappointed with the results. Since the "Quality" setting wasn't available to me, I was using (I guess) the default settings which produced an AVI file 1280x720 with a very meagre frame rate of 10fps. Needless to say, movement on the screen is jerky.

MediaInfo (attached) tells me that the bitrate of the desktop capture is 106MBps??? Despite this http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/21089.page#112259 it loads into PD10 happily.

I'd really be interested to know why the quality settings are greyed out.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
YouCam5 Test.avi.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
301 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I am happily surprised at Youcam's screen-capture function, yet certainly disappointed at it's limitations.
I may yet buy it, but...
Will there be any improvements in screen-capture ability?
Mouse hilite/frame-rate/file format/etc?
What price do I pay if I currently own OEM 3.5?
If it's $20 US, ok, I'll bite...
If it's $34.95 US, fuggedaboudit. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Too much money for what I want, which is a Cyberlink-based screen capture product.
Unfortunately, YouCam is to screen-capture programs, as Olive Garden is to Italian restaraunts.
No sale. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi ynotfish,

the "missing" quality setting when use "AVI" is by design.

when choosing "WMV" you will have three options.
the availability of "WMV" depends on the resolution of the camera.

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Michael -

I'm pretty sure the webcam quality is unrelated to the settings for desktop capture.

I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000, which records in HD (up to 1600x1200) @ up to 30fps. It records in 4:3 or widescreen (720p). Using the Logitech software (which doesn't allow desktop screen capture), all the settings are available. It records/outputs WMV in a variety of resolutions - best is 1280x720 @ 7138Kbps 30fps.

The YouCam interface with my webcam has many options greyed out, apart from the screen capture settings I mentioned. For example, face detection & zoom controls. These are available in the Logitech interface.

In any case, I wouldn't think the camera's capture specifications would affect desktop screen capture.

In my YouCam interface, the option to select AVI or WMV is greyed out too. AVI is the default @ 10fps. As I said, these (for me) are unadjustable.

So - the YouCam software interface doesn't appear to be fully functioning with (a) my webcam or (b) my PC.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
In my trial, on my DM1, I have the option of AVI, or 3 levels of WMV.
The slider for Exposure is grayed-out.
But the capture is simply inadequate, and I hereby request from Cyberlink an actual screen-capture utility, with a few bells and whistles.
Anybody second the motion?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2012 17:14

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)