Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Will Not Play 3D Blu Rays with ATI Radeon HD 6850
turbofeet [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2010 03:08 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I am a Arcsoft TotalMedia user and watch all Blu Rays via the Excellent WMC plugin. I have been happy thus far until recently when I had juddering issues watching the latest Star Wars Blu Rays.

I therefore tried your Software which is just as good as the Arcsoft Software and found that you have addressed the issue and could watch Star Wars perfectly - great!

However, I also watch 3D Blu Rays and your software does not automatically enable 3D as it should.

I downloaded your 3D Advisor software and got a pass all the way down:

CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8600 @ 3.33GHz / Yes
GPU (Hardware acceleration) : AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series / Yes
Hardware Dual-Video Decoding Capability for MVC : Yes / Yes
System Memory : 2048 MB / Yes
Operating System : Windows 7 Service Pack 1 / Yes
Graphics Card : AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series / Yes
Graphics Card Driver : 8.920.0.0 / Yes
Blu-ray Disc Drive : [D:] ELBY CLONEDRIVE / Yes
Disc Drive : [D:] ELBY CLONEDRIVE / Yes
Software Player : PowerDVD 11 / Yes
Video Connection Type : Digital(with HDCP) / Yes
3D Display : Panasonic-TV / Yes

I appreciate that the advisor is just a guide but when looking in your "known issues" section I see that there is a known with ATI cards and that you define it as an "External Issue":

[019] [external issue] PDVD can not activate 3D on some platform with ATI/AMD Graphics adaptor
[021] [investigating] Can not enable 3D in some environments with HDMI 1.4 devices

This ATI problem cannot be an external issue as the Arcsoft Software works perfectly with the same hardware and drivers.

Please tell me that you are fixing this issue and that I haven't just wasted £45!

I am happy to be converted over from Arcsoft but I just need to know that your looking into fixing this issue first.

Many Thanks

turbofeet [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry one moreissue as well.

When I launch a Blu Ray in Windows Media Center - sometimes it starts up the Standalone application rather than the WMC Plugin.

WMC gives the message:

Another version of Cyberlink PowerDVD is currently running. You must close it before launching Cyberlink PowerDVD 11.

The message implies that it's running both the WMC plugin and the Main Application at the same time.

If I close the application using the mouse and then revert back to WMC it will then from from inside media center.

It's then fine from then on - it exibit this behaviour after restarting WMC.
Is there an easy fix for this one? A registry change or something? Or it it something to do with Autoplay?

Cheers
turbofeet [Avatar]
[Post New]
Never mind about my second issue.

Setting Autoplay in control panel to "Take no Action" when playing Blu Rays fixed PowerDVD launching it's GUI.

Sort out the 3D and I will love you forever!

Cheers
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
what settings do you use in PowerDVD 3D settings page?

br
Michael

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
turbofeet [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply.

Settings are as follows:

3D scene depth - Center (Default)
Swap Eye View - Left Eye first
Source Format - autodetect (tried side By side as well)

test Results running the full GUI rather than the MCE Plugin

Display Device and Result

1. Auto Detect

Loads Disc then Starts Normally straight to the menu. No error but the 3D never kicks In it stays in 2D. If I click the 3D Icon at the bottom of the screen the crseen goes black and nothing happens.

2. 3D Ready HDTV (Checkerboard)

Starts disc in a distorted manner - with one image overlaying the other. I think it is forcing 3D but it is not detected by or is the proper 3D for my TV.

3. 120Hz Time-Sequential 3D LCD

Disc Appears to by playing but there is no image - just a black screen. No sound either.

4. HDMI 1.4 enabled 3D TV (1080p 24Hz)

This is the setting I would expect it to be using. I get a message saying:

Cyberlink PowerDVD could not enable 3D playback. Try choosing a different 3D display device. I click "OK" and the Blu Ray starts fine but in 2D - same as option 1.

5. HDMI 1.4 enabled 3D TV (720p 60Hz)

Same as option 4.

6. HDMI 1.4 enabled 3D TV (720p 60Hz)

Same as option 4.

I have both Arcsoft and Cyberlink Installed now and so choose between them when loading up a Blu Ray in Media Center.

I choose Cyberlink now for Normal Blu Rays and Arcsoft for 3D Blu Ray Only.

I hope you can find a solution as although there is no noticable difference between the two I think your software launches a little quicker - which is nice.

Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
to better investigate your issue I need more info.

please check this thread:

PowerDVD 11 must have info

and provide the DXDIAG and BD-Advisor log file

thanks
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
turbofeet [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi
Results from DxDiag and both Blu Ray and 3D Blu Ray tests attached.

Cheers
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
376 time(s)
 Filename
DEBUG_CLDetect_MEDIAPCWIN7_1_2012_01_09_13_57_08.html
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
571 time(s)
 Filename
DEBUG_CLDetect_MEDIAPCWIN7_1_2012_01_09_13_56_36.html
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
581 time(s)
turbofeet [Avatar]
[Post New]
Additional Information:

PowerDVD Ultra 11 Full Version Retail 11.0.2024.53
PowerDVD SR Number DVD110628-02
PowerDVD TR Number TR110826-012
Windows 7 32Bit
Admin Account
Audio Setting is Use HDMI / Non-Encoded
60Hz HDMI
Single Monitor 46" Panasonic Plastma TV
Using Both Virtual CloneDrive and BD-Rom
Microsoft Security Essentials and IE 9

The rest of the information can be found in the attached files.

Many Thanks
[Post New]
Hi,

strongly suggest to update to the latest Versions of PowerDVD 11!

Available PowerDVD 11 Patches - Free

thanks

Werde Facebook Fan
turbofeet [Avatar]
[Post New]
No luck with the patch i'm afraid.
[Post New]
Hi,

I have forwarded your information for further checking.

br

Werde Facebook Fan
Tyomni [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 12, 2011 12:31 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
I am really a fan of ATI/AMD vga's but this is the main reason why I always go for one generation old radeons, they always have some issues (the 5XXX is the best decision for now and when 7XXX will be available I am sure they will fix all issues on 6XXX series).
nighteagle [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 09, 2007 10:46 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Try using catalyst 11.8 AMP: Hegel H100, DAC: Hegel HD2, Speakers: Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T, TV: Samsung PS63C7705 (pn63c8000) 63", HTPC: NVIDIA GTX 680, Windows 7 SP1 x64 with blu-ray
turbofeet [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Try using catalyst 11.8

Success! Thankyou.

There is also a newer version 12.1 but I haven't tried that yet...if it aint broke...
nighteagle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tried both catalyst 12.1 and 12.2 preview. They dont work with 3D either. Catalyst 11.8 does. This is weird. Why dosent cyberlink take this up with amd? I really dont get this!

Normally I use the latest catalyst for games and stuff. Then I have to downgrade to 11.8 each time I was a 3D movie...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 28. 2012 15:57

AMP: Hegel H100, DAC: Hegel HD2, Speakers: Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T, TV: Samsung PS63C7705 (pn63c8000) 63", HTPC: NVIDIA GTX 680, Windows 7 SP1 x64 with blu-ray
Rossitech [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 28, 2012 19:06 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I think I know why the new ATI drivers are not working in 3D mode but someone needs to try this as I do not have access to my friends PC with this fault.
In the catalyst control utility I noticed that the default setting for the "Pixel Format" under "My Digital Flat Panels" keeps being set (after a catalyst driver upgrade) to "YCbCr", which AFAIK, 3D cannot function in this mode. Instead one of the "RGB" modes should be selected and for a HD TV, the "RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format Studio (Limited RGB)" should be set. In theory, this is the correct 16-235 colour space mode for a HD TV, however if the black levels look too dark or washed out, then try the other "RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB)" 0-255 colour space.

Hope this helps.
Rossitech [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 28, 2012 19:06 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Please let me know if this solves the problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 28. 2012 19:46

nighteagle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Did not help. AMP: Hegel H100, DAC: Hegel HD2, Speakers: Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T, TV: Samsung PS63C7705 (pn63c8000) 63", HTPC: NVIDIA GTX 680, Windows 7 SP1 x64 with blu-ray
[Post New]
I hate to drag this back up seven months later, but I'm in a similar scenario, and AMD, at least, has been of ZERO help (I've repeatedly raised this issue since MAY, and they've repeatedly closed my report while NOT fixing it).

The last driver that worked for my card was 11.7, which is over a year old at this point. Even that driver has broken VC-1 acceleration. Movies are unwatchable and I have to turn video acceleration off for what amounts to just about every non-3D Blu-Ray movie.

I've checked up to 12.8 and the problem wasn't even addressed in the notes, let alone fixed.

I have Windows 7, a Radeon 6570, and PowerDVD 12.

Is there a work-around to this issue or should I just warn everyone on these forums against buying AMD hardware, and this is beyond unacceptable. They advertise 3D accelerated Blu-Ray playback on hardware that's been broken for over a year. Ready to go!
franky8 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2012 11:16 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have just encountered the same message, "another version of cyberlink powerdvd is currently running. you must first close it before launching cyberlink powerdvd..." I get this by launching the program.

I had version 12 installed, since Feb. Now I go to play Prometheus 3D and I end up patching the player to read the 3D format.
So the 3D is not working but the movie is working in 2d, I go into my nvidia control panel and setup 3d for the first time, the movie just goes black, no image but sound. From this point on, the message exists. Resetting the computer, uninstall/reinstall doesn't work. I went in and changed the autoplay to "do nothing" I don't get it, but I have yet to successfully watch a 3d movie on my 3d tv which is hooked up to my computer.
Hoping someone can direct me to the solution. I can provide all the additional info needed.
This is my first post on a message board ever, hope this works
Franky