Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Music Track not fading on final
Steven12 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2011 14:55 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I'm fairly new to PD, so this could just be something I'm doing wrong. On Preview, my music track fades correctly. On the final project, it begins to fade, then just chops off all of a sudden as the next track come in. Can't really find a place to do any real adjusting on this. Any ideas?
Ned Ham [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2011 02:29 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hello.

I'm new to PD as well but I was having the same problem and found this simple work around.

I stretched out the timeline so I had a place to work on the audio track. I clicked the point on the track where I wanted the volume to start fading and then I was able to drag the volume line down to fade it out.

This may not be the best solution but it was quick and seemed to work pretty well.

Good luck.

Ned.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I stretched out the timeline so I had a place to work on the audio track. I clicked the point on the track [Do you mean clip?] where I wanted the volume to start fading and then I was able to drag the volume line down to fade it out.

This may not be the best solution but it was quick and seemed to work pretty well.

Good luck.

Ned.

That's certainly one way to do it, and not a bad one at all. It gives you the most flexibility, because you can add as many of those little markers as you want and adjust them any way you want. If you want the audio to fade down and back up, just add more markers. To get rid of a marker, put your mouse cursor over it so it turns red, then click-drag it off the clip.

The "Music Room" has the option to initiate a fade-out at the point where the scrubber is sitting, but it does a straight line fadeout which is sometimes not what you want. It does save having to zoom in on the timeline. Jerry Schwartz
amandasmith [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 05, 2011 03:30 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]
Use the razorblade tool to split the audio clip in multiple places close to each other. Now look on the lower left corner of the timeline, you'll see a very small image of what looks like a scatter plot. Click that. Now you will be able to drag the volume up or down in each of the areas that you split your audio. You can get a fading effect by doing that.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Straight line fades, can seem to end a bit abruptly at times. I've found (other's results may differ), that adding another key frame, and giving it a little bump down, at about a two thirds of the way through the fade, does sometimes result in a fade with a much smoother tailing out.

[Thumb - Audio Track Fade.png]
 Filename
Audio Track Fade.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
7 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
307 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 05. 2012 21:45

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Use the razorblade tool to split the audio clip in multiple places close to each other. Now look on the lower left corner of the timeline, you'll see a very small image of what looks like a scatter plot. Click that. Now you will be able to drag the volume up or down in each of the areas that you split your audio. You can get a fading effect by doing that.

Personally, I wouldn't split the clip. That's something you can't undo, and I think adjusting the volume in each of those clips individually would be a nuisance.

Instead of splitting the clip, I would just add markers to the line on the waveform display of the original. Jerry Schwartz
Steven12 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2011 14:55 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I will try that and see...it's very deceptive though because using the transition from one song to the other appears to work perfectly when editing. But when I burn my final project, the songs are being cut off.
I want the 2 songs to blend from one to the other, not simply one song fading out then another one fading in. I may try putting the songs on different tracks and manually fading them as suggested here in the forum.. Thanks.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Steven -

Yes - they need to be on separate tracks to allow the overlap while one fades out & the other fades in.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!