Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Surround Sound
kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
I can't seem to make a proper surround sound video. I have put audio on 5 different tracks but it plays, or seems to play in stereo, regardless of how I save it.

Any ides most welcome, Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
GTX 680, 2 X Benq23 3D monitors,
6G DDR3, Win 7 64, Win 10 (Insider) 64
PCIE SSD, Intel Sata SSD 2 500 Gbyte Seagate,
Minoru 3D WebCam, NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Have you watched the 18 PowerDirector 10 Tutorials? I'm asking because surround sound is part of one tutorial.

Create Disc > DVD/BR/AVCHD
Part 2 > Check box, Enable CyberLink TrueTheater Surround

Is that what you're after?

Dafydd

kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
Have you watched the 18 PowerDirector 10 Tutorials? I'm asking because surround sound is part of one tutorial.

Create Disc > DVD/BR/AVCHD
Part 2 > Check box, Enable CyberLink TrueTheater Surround

Is that what you're after?

Dafydd

I did indeed watch that tutorial, and it does create a "simulated" surround sound effect, at least on my system. What I actually want to attempt is a completely different sound on each speaker. And so far I seem to hear the individual sounds coming from all speakers. The fact that one can produce in 5.1, with PD10 , suggested to me that it might just be possible. But perhaps I'm not clear on this. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I'll speculate a bit but unless someone proves me wrong, I think it's as follows:

You can't edit each of the six channels for the 5.1ch format in PowerDirector separately. If you choose to use this option in Production, the surround effect is synthesized by the software from a two-channel format. If you have multiple sound tracks in your project, they are simply mixed in superposition in mono or stereo only.

Even when I open a 5.1-channel sound track from my camcorder in WaveEditor, it shows up in stereo there. I suspect PowerDirector might only handle the front left and right channels and synthesize the other channels on surround sound production anew. There's no way for me to test this at the moment though...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 03. 2012 14:51

kingsmeadow
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

I'll speculate a bit but unless someone proves me wrong, I think it's as follows:

You can't edit each of the six channels for the 5.1ch format in PowerDirector separately. If you choose to use this option in Production, the surround effect is synthesized by the software from a two-channel format. If you have multiple sound tracks in your project, they are simply mixed in superposition in mono or stereo only.

Even when I open a 5.1-channel sound track from my camcorder in WaveEditor, it shows up in stereo there. I suspect PowerDirector might only handle the front left and right channels and synthesize the other channels on surround sound production anew. There's no way for me to test this at the moment though...

I think you are correct.

I put 5 separate audio files in PD10, spaced the audio so they did not overlap. When I produced the video, all the sounds played in stereo mode. If I choose 5.1 Dolby the sounds appear to come from all the speakers !. However as I have discovered before, there are folk who can produce magic results with this program, so I wait and see. It's not the end of the world as I have another program that can produce 5.1 surround sound DVDs, but NOT in 3D, that is my dilemma. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
david [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2012 05:12 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
whats the other program that produces surround sound ? i have sony vegas and it takes 12 hours to render a 1.5 hour movie its useless but has suround sound.
david
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
I think this is a fundamental misunderstanding (or lack of a feature, depending on how you look at it).

PD can't "assign and combine" tracks. It can only play them all at the same time. Another way of looking at it is that you can't assign a track to a particular output channel.

On the video side, if you want to make a 3D video you need to start with a 3D video. You can't take two different video tracks and say "#1 is the left eye, #2 is the right eye."

On the audio side, you can't assign different audio tracks to different speakers.

That sure would be a nice feature. Jerry Schwartz