Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error importing srt file
[Post New]
I have successfully imported Closed Captions into video using srt text files. Using PD 10, an error message is generated when importing an srt file. The message indicates that the timing embedding in the captioning file exceeds the length of the video. An examination of the text file does not indicate improper timing codes. In the previous version of PD (v9), the imported file would indicate the place that contained improper information. This often had to do with a number appearing as the first characters in a text line. This does not seem to be the case in PD 10. Are there known bugs in the current release of PD 10 with respect to importing srt files? Does anyone know of a "format" checker for srt files other than visual inspection? Thanks.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
If nothing private, attach your srt file so one can examine.

Jeff
[Post New]
It is attached. It is the CC for movie Polar Express
 Filename
The Polar Express (12_26_2011).srt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
148 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
641 time(s)
[Post New]
BTW, JL_JL I tried another importing another movie and it's associated srt captioning file and ran into the same problem. Importing srt files into a movie worked well in PD 9. I appreciate your efforts looking into this functionality of PD 10. I will try a few other cases to see if I get a consistent result (or non-result)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Just a formatting issue, your file does not work with PD8, PD9, or PD10 so I suspect your have done something different in the creation of it. PD does not tell you what line it has issues on as it's the first line so nothing is read in. The top few lines of the file should look like:

00:00:00,0 --> 00:00:18,184
[ MUSIC ]
00:00:18,184 --> 00:00:42,75
ON CHRISTMAS EVE, MANY YEARS AGO I LAY QUIETLY
00:00:42,75 --> 00:00:43,610
MANY YEARS AGO I LAY QUIETLY IN MY BED.
00:00:43,610 --> 00:00:45,812
IN MY BED. I DID NOT RUSTLE THE SHEETS.

Be carefull what you view your file in, try wordpad. Word wrap, line feed, repeated spaces, cr issues depending on which txt editor you use.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 30. 2011 17:34

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I found that the character encoding on your SRT file was not a format that Powerdirector is happy with.

Your SRT: The Polar Express (12_26_2011).srt has ANSI - 1252 encoding.

Powerdirector likes Unicode.

Attached a Unicode version that does load into Powerdirector 9 Ultra 64.
Converted in Subtitle Edit, no other changes made.

Filename
The Polar Express (12_26_2011)_Unicode.srt
[Disk]
 Description
This version is Unicode, Converted in Subtitle Edit.
 Filesize
210 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
551 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Hi Carl312,
The file you sent me worked perfectly. Thank you. I tried saving the original file sent using WordPad and saving as Unicode, but it not work. How did you convert the file. As Jeff noted, text editors can influence the outcome of the saved file. I use CCextractor to extract the captioning from movies saved on TiVo. I will check to see if the output file can be saved in Unicode. Thanks again for your help
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Carl312,
The file you sent me worked perfectly. Thank you. I tried saving the original file sent using WordPad and saving as Unicode, but it not work. How did you convert the file. As Jeff noted, text editors can influence the outcome of the saved file. I use CCextractor to extract the captioning from movies saved on TiVo. I will check to see if the output file can be saved in Unicode. Thanks again for your help

In CCextractor, be sure you are extracting in Unicode, it is on the Decoder tab.

Also in CCextractor, on the Output tab, select .srt (SubRip).

The Version of CCextractor I use is GUI .54. The later versions are broken, and do not work for me. Most of the captions I extract are from DVD VOB files.

The Subtitle Editor I use and did the conversion in is a Free download.

http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit

About the best Subtitle Editor I have ever found. It does all of the wonderful things like synchronize subtitle to Video.

Wordpad will do Unicode if you open a file that is in Unicode, I do not think it does a good job of saving in Unicode if the original file is not Unicode.

I have had many text editors mess up SRT files.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 31. 2011 14:51

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Hi Carl,
Thank you for all the advice. I tried CCextractor with setting suggested (v0.59) and it did not produce a file that could be read by PD 10. However, running the file through SubtitleEdit produced a workable file. On first use of SubtitleEdit, I could not figure out how to extract the CC from a video file. Perhaps a little more digging around and reading will reveal if this a capability of the program. For now, a two step process works. Thanks for the tip on SubtitleEdit.

Happy New Year
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Carl,
Thank you for all the advice. I tried CCextractor with setting suggested (v0.59) and it did not produce a file that could be read by PD 10. However, running the file through SubtitleEdit produced a workable file. On first use of SubtitleEdit, I could not figure out how to extract the CC from a video file. Perhaps a little more digging around and reading will reveal if this a capability of the program. For now, a two step process works. Thanks for the tip on SubtitleEdit.

Happy New Year

I have never extracted a CC from a video file in Subtitle Edit. I use CCextractor for that.

I use Subtitle Edit for all other uses for SRT files, it will do just about anything you can think of in the way of editing a SRT.

ROMALD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 02, 2012 01:41 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem and it was simply solved by making sure the .srt and .avi (or mp4) files had exactly the same name except for the suffix of course,
Carl312
[Post New]

Happy New Year

The last version of CCextractor that works for me is V0.54.
PD 10 and below have no problem loading the SRT file created in V0.54.

I have not had a reason to try in Powerdirector 11, so I do not know how it works in PD11.

I do use Subtitle Edit for editing SRT files.

[Post New]
Hi Carl,
Thanks for getting back to me. I am using CCextractor (v0.63) to create extract subtitles from TiVo recordings. DD 11 (build 2215) can read the file and add the subtitles to the TiVo recorded video. I find that if I transfer the TiVo recorded video from the TiVo to my PC and decode it with VideoReDo the subtitles are lost after when DP 11 rendering the mp2 file to MPEG 4. If I extract the tiles and then added them back before rendering, then they appear in the MPEG 4. It all works fine, except if the .srt file contains a number as a leading character in a subtitle. This stops PD from adding the subtitles properly. However, using SubtitleEdit the subtitle can be easily fixed. In addition, I have used SubtitleEdit to fix messed up subtitles sometimes associated with movies.

Thanks for putting me on to this program.
Carl312
[Post New]
Thanks for getting back to me. I am using CCextractor (v0.63) to create extract subtitles from TiVo recordings. DD 11 (build 2215) can read the file and add the subtitles to the TiVo recorded video. I find that if I transfer the TiVo recorded video from the TiVo to my PC and decode it with VideoReDo the subtitles are lost after when DP 11 rendering the mp2 file to MPEG 4. If I extract the tiles and then added them back before rendering, then they appear in the MPEG 4. It all works fine, except if the .srt file contains a number as a leading character in a subtitle. This stops PD from adding the subtitles properly. However, using SubtitleEdit the subtitle can be easily fixed. In addition, I have used SubtitleEdit to fix messed up subtitles sometimes associated with movies.

Thanks for putting me on to this program.

Well, it has been a while since I checked the CCextractor web site. I did not know of the v0.63 version.

Subtitle Edit is a nice program. It takes more than one program to handle subtiles.

Seems you have figured out a useful procedure.

You have found that anything done to a Video file will remove the subtiles. So extract the subtitles first.

The leading number is supposed to be the title order. If it is not the right order, you must remove those leading numbers.
They will get renumbered if no leading number.

And you are welcome.