Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Change location of SmartSound files
CGID [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Netherlands Joined: Feb 11, 2011 11:27 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Default is the map: "C:\ProgramData\SmartSound Software Inc" for PowerDirector 10.0 SmartSound files and the files are over 2Gb.
I have a new PC with 64Gb SSD C-drive and would not like to place data-files on the Boot-drive.
How can I change the location of these files to f.i. D:\ProgramData\SmartSound Software Inc ?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

Default is the map: "C:\ProgramData\SmartSound Software Inc" for PowerDirector 10.0 SmartSound files and the files are over 2Gb.
I have a new PC with 64Gb SSD C-drive and would not like to place data-files on the Boot-drive.
How can I change the location of these files to f.i. D:\ProgramData\SmartSound Software Inc ?

I do not know for sure, but it may be if you install Powerdirector 10 on your D: drive, that would change the default location for Smart sound also.

Be aware, that PD 10 will still use the C: drive for its temporary files, so you must have 60-100GB of free space on C:.

I do not know if it is true for PD 10, but on PD 9 you can change the location of the smart sound files in the smartsound interface within Powerdirector.

[Thumb - Smartsound folder location.jpg]
 Filename
Smartsound folder location.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD9 Smart Sound folder location, you can change it.
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
270 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 27. 2011 09:07

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

CGID [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Netherlands Joined: Feb 11, 2011 11:27 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Carl,

The pop up you show is also available in 10.0 but I cannot change the directory in it, only show...
If you are right about the free space I have a problem, because the SSD in total is 'only' 64Gb and all the programs should be installed on it. That's why I want data somewhere else...
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
It does say "Add Folder". I assume that you could put the Smart sound files in a folder of your choice, then use the Add folder Location for smart sound to use your files.

One thing you would have to do, Rebuild the Smart Sound Database on the About tab.

You can copy the smart sound folder to a folder of your choice, then try the Add Location, and Rebuild to see if it works.

A temporary rename of the SS folders in the default location would dis-able them for a test.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Carl312
[Post New]
I did try the Add folder in PD 9.

I was successful in changing the location of the Song files (over 3 GB). But SmartSound still has some folders in the default location on C:. So I could not move all of the Smart Sound files, just some of them.

I also changed the default location to copy new Smart Sound songs to the new location.

After a Rebuild of the Database all worked in the new location.

I would bet that if Power Director and Smart Sound were installed on a different Drive the default location of the Smart Sound files would move to the other Drive.

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
There is a general solution to this problem. Windows lets you create a directory junction that makes one directory have two different names.

For example, suppose you want to move your "Froggy" folder from your C: drive to your D: drive. Here are the steps:

• Figure out where your "Froggy" directory really is by clicking in the Folder text area of Explorer. Let's assume that Explorer says the location is "Documents -> Froggy"; the "real" location will be
  • Copy your "Froggy" directory to your D: drive.
  • To avoid future confusion, rename the directory on your G: drive to "Fergy."
  • For safety's sake, rename your "Froggy" directory to "Toad."
  • Launch the Windows "Command Prompt" with administrative privileges.
  • Execute the command
  • Execute the command

• That should do it. Once you are satisfied that everything works properly, you can remove the directory "Toad."

If there is any part of the instructions that you do not understand, do not try this. It's pretty safe, but if you don't understand what's happening you might not be able to undo it if something doesn't work right. Jerry Schwartz
    [Post New]
    I just used this mklink command to move my SmartSound directory to my E:\ drive and it worked perfectly. Still Learning PD and the world of HD video and digicams...and photo organizing and editing!
    i870, 8gb, ti560, Win7, 64bit OS
    jerrys
    Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: I just used this mklink command to move my SmartSound directory to my E:\ drive and it worked perfectly.

Glad to hear it.

By the way, this is the same thing as what *nix calls a mount point. Jerry Schwartz