Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD10 Production for iPhone has no audio in Apple
paul0227 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2011 22:02 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
PD10 - Version: 10.0.0.1129a - SR:VDE111019-03

I have produced a 5 minute HD video for iPod/iPhone. The program creates an MP4 file that plays in PD10 as well as any application on my Windows 7 computer...except Apple. I copied it into iTunes where it plays without audio. The same thing happens on the iPhone. I have other video files saved in the MP4 format made with another video program that play on iTunes and the iPhone and audio is present.

Any suggestions?

Paul (paul0227)
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: PD10 - Version: 10.0.0.1129a - SR:VDE111019-03

I have produced a 5 minute HD video for iPod/iPhone. The program creates an MP4 file that plays in PD10 as well as any application on my Windows 7 computer...except Apple. I copied it into iTunes where it plays without audio. The same thing happens on the iPhone. I have other video files saved in the MP4 format made with another video program that play on iTunes and the iPhone and audio is present.

Any suggestions?

Paul (paul0227)

Find out what the correct audio format is for Apple and iPhone. Then produce using that format in Powerdirector.

There is an iPhone profile already in Powerdirector 9 and I assume 10.

In Produce module there is a Device tab, click on that and use the Apple format.
See Image.

[Thumb - iphone profile.JPG]
 Filename
iphone profile.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Where the iPhone profile is located in PD.
 Filesize
56 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
235 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

paul0227 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am using the iPhone profile in the Device section of PD10. When iPhone is selected in the Device section the format created by PD10 is MP4. Like I said, I have previous MP4s from another video program that play fine on the Apple stuff. In fact, the MP4 that PD10 creates plays fine except in the Apple Apps. As for the audio format, there is no option in PD to select a separate audio format. I believe that MP4 covers audio and video. Based on all that I am forced to believe that PD10 has some glitch.
[Post New]
Same here... Multiple tests and no audio on the iPhone device profile. Any Solutions?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there -

When you import the video to iTunes, have you tried selecting it in your iTunes library, then choosing Advanced > “Create iPod or iPhone Version.” This produces a video file with an .m4v file extension.

No iPhone here, so I can't test whether that would sort out the audio issue.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
I am trying that now... This is still not the right solution, but a work around if it works. I have used the iPhone profile in open source encoders with no issues. I would drag and drop the file to iTunes and it would synch with everything working. I am wondering if it is because the audio is at 192kbps on the HD iPhone profile. All other iPhone and iPad profiles are at 128kbps. I am also testing a custom profile with 128 and similar settings. Although, I did not see a way to change the setting for video frame or something (can't look because of an encode processing). The iPhone has something like IPPPPPPPPPPPPP and the custom profiles defaults to IPBPBPBPBPBPB or similar.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
EEK!

My suggestion above results in an .m4v file that's only 640x360... and with NO audio (in iTunes)! There's something whacko going on there.

Attached: MediaInfo reports for both videos (PD10 & iTunes conversion)

The custom MPEG-4 profile with an audio bitrate of 128kbps might be the way to go... MediaInfo attached.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Shamaling_PD10.MP4.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
278 time(s)
 Filename
Shamaling_128kbps.mp4.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
275 time(s)
 Filename
Shamaling_iTunes.m4v.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
279 time(s)

[Post New]
I've tried multiple combinations with no success. Has anybody got an HD encode to work on the iPhone with PD10?

I thought I was onto something... I compared the video file to other encodes from another software and noticed the other one were still h.264 but in a MOV container format. I simply renamed the files from Mp4 to MOV and they worked in iTunes (sound and video, was only video). I transferred them to my iPhone and it gets unkown or can't find media error. I forget the exact message. As it stands, I still can't get this to work.

Anybody have a solution?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I went to the apple site for the iPhone, this is the video specs:

Video formats supported:
H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

One thing I notice, is you can use AVC 1080p.

Has anybody tried that on their iPhone?

Another spec, the audio is a max of 160 Kbps. So your 192 Kbps audio does not work.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
[Post New]
Paul, Cyberfix & Carl -

I'm scratching to find an answer on this one. In PD10, I've produced a 15 second video in a variety of profiles under the Device > Apple > iPhone/iPod & Standard 2D > MPEG-4 (modifying the audio bitrate to 160kbps or less).

NO video I've produced directly out of PD10 plays audio in iTunes or when transferred to an iPhone, yet the audio is present when the videos are played on my PC's media players.

Doing the same thing in PD9 results in files that play perfectly in iTunes & on the iPhone... MediaInfo report attached.

I've also followed the same procedure with another NLE and, though its profile options are more limited, its rendered files play correctly (with audio) in iTunes & on the iPhone... just as Paul described in his original post.

File conversion? When I run PD10's output files through FormatFactory, using any of the Apple iPhone/iPod profiles under "All to Mobile Device", they play correctly in iTunes & on the iPhone. An example MediaInfo report from a converted file is attached.

Now I'll just have to delete the 23 videos from my niece's iPhone.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
PD9_iPhone.MP4.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
272 time(s)
 Filename
FF_iPhone_Test7_480_128.mp4.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
267 time(s)

nayan007 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 05, 2011 22:50 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
Hi ynotfish ,

After going through your post the possible reason may be due to the change of format profile and Bit rate mode !! Love Cyber-Link !!
MrG11 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 27, 2011 15:12 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I've been having the same problem with creation of files for use in iTunes and the iPad. The file creation worked fine on version 8 of Power Director. I've brought this problem to the attention of Tech Support and we've exchanged several messages about it. They have not yet provided any solution. I really believe this is a problem in Power Director 10 that needs to be solved by Cyberlink. I'm very interested to hear about any fixes that are discovered.
paul0227 [Avatar]
[Post New]
As the original poster of this issue, here's what I do know, in the past I've used a number of different versions of Ulead, bought out by Corel, up to the latest version X4 (v12) which I gave to my daughter and her husband with my video camera. Since then I got a decent Nikon (CoolPix L120) digital camera and I wanted to get into some more family video editing. I wanted a good program and the reviews I read pegged PD10 as THE best. Imagine my surprise when I was unable to add text and place such text in a desirable location on a still picture image. I had to use Windows Live Movie Maker to add the text to the stills. So I created a video from the text-ed pics in Live Movie Maker and opened the result in PD10 as a video file. Next I created the HD video on DVD successfully but can't produce it to play on our iPhones (i.e., no audio). I have at least three other videos I produced with Ulead that were saved in MP4. They all play on my iPhone.

Does CyberLink follow these forums? Is CyberLink going to step up and fix their problems?

BTW, no ability to add simple text that can be placed anywhere on a still image? Has anyone come up with a work-around for this? I tried the title thing but it does not allow one to move the text around to a place on the photo that is easier to see and read.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Quote: Imagine my surprise when I was unable to add text and place such text in a desirable location on a still picture image.... no ability to add simple text that can be placed anywhere on a still image? Has anyone come up with a work-around for this? I tried the title thing but it does not allow one to move the text around to a place on the photo that is easier to see and read.

Paul -

That's not the case. Adding text to an image, as part of a video clip or to create a captioned image, is easy to achieve in PD. The maximum resolution you'd achieve is 1920x1080 for a snapshot image. If you wanted to retain the full resolution of your images, they should be captioned in a photo editor.

Apart from the 3D add-on, the Title Room functions much as it did in earlier versions of PD. This tutorial focuses on titling/captioning in the first part... http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/12/ccSNU_Z7BRc

However - back to the topic - I absolutely agree with you about the Apple Device profiles in PD10. Beats me how you can take something that works perfectly well (in PD9) & break it like that!

Cheers - Tony
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
[quote=ynotfishHowever - back to the topic - I absolutely agree with you about the Apple Device profiles in PD10. Beats me how you can take something that works perfectly well (in PD9) & break it like that!

Cheers - Tony

Gremlins -- in order to work in the modern aerospace environment, they had to expand into software hacking.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 29. 2011 19:09

Jerry Schwartz
cyberfix
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2011 16:11 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
The latest 1129b update says it improves production and import of MOV files. It did nothing for the iPhone profile issues as far as I can tell so far. I have not tried to do a MOV file and import it again.

Can somebody remind me why I paid so much for this software? I thought I rememered that the support and quality of their products being better in years past.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Quote: BTW, no ability to add simple text that can be placed anywhere on a still image? Has anyone come up with a work-around for this? I tried the title thing but it does not allow one to move the text around to a place on the photo that is easier to see and read.

Paul -

Even though it's totally unrelated to the topic of this thread, here's a little side by side comparison of titling in PD & WLMM... with a bit of a BASIC how-to in PD.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ynotfish77?feature=mhee#p/u/6/GNX_Dfe3G0s

Cheers - Tony
David Griffiths [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Winchester, UK Joined: Dec 31, 2011 04:44 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, just came across this thread whilst searching on Google for help on the same problem. I downloaded the PD10 trial version after getting frustrated with Premier Elements for being a) extremely slow and b) seemingly incapabable of simply rotating one of my clips through 90 degrees.

My initial impression of PD10 was very positive - I found it much more intuitive, very fast and capable of doing the rotate. So when I came to play back the video on my iPad I was surprised to find no sound. I thought I must be doing something wrong and spent ages googling around for an answer.

I work in software development for a large company and it is quite frankly astonishing that a product such as this could be released without this most basic of tests: does the produced video work under Apple software? This is not some obscure corner case. Makes you worry how many other bugs are in there untested.

Also in the couple of hours I spent playing around with it I came across a couple of other bugs: one was where the preview screen just started showing all green instead of displaying the video. Not sure what triggered that, may have been when I said yes to some offer to use shadow files? The other bug was that I had a couple of hangs.

My bet is that they are trying to jump on the 3D bandwagon and have rushed out an untested product to tick the 3D boxes.

I'll monitor this thread anyway to see if they release any kind of fix for this.

Cheers,

Dave
wolf99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2012 10:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have been trying hard to get a video from a Panasonic LX3 into an iPad very painfully with PD10,1129a for the last week. There were 2 issues encountered.

1) The Panasonic camera creates MOV movie files in MJPEG format. This MOV format was not recognized by PD10,1129a. Seems to have been solved by 1129b just released.

2) Using the device production profile for Apple devices, the video files created do not have audio in my iPad. The same file plays fine with media player or quicktime on my notebook. 1129b does not address this

paul0227 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Issue submitted to CyberLink.