Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is there ANY way of getting Powerdirector to stop crashing continually? PD fanboys won't like this..
MartinH74 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Mar 22, 2010 10:59 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I have had Powerdirector 8 / 9 on the 3 different PC's and I now simply must go elsewhere for my next editing package, because I have spent the last 2 years living in constant hope that one day it will get better. But it doesn't - this has to be the worst software I have ever had the displeasure of having to suffer. Or can I be saved by a convincing argument?

It crashes, continually on every machione I have ever stalled it on - more than ever in fact on my newest macine which is Core i5 with 6GB of memory. It is a constant cvavalcade of surprises....sometime it crashes on startup, sometimes it crashes on saving, at other times it freezes or hangs in the middle of adding clips or music. And god forbid should you do something ridiculous like trying to add a transition (what was I thinking of!) or titles. If you don't get my meaning, any random event can cause this cruddy piece of junk to freeze, hang or crash without warning.

My machine has no odd settings or bits of strange hardware, I'm not using any types of video not normally found in modern cameras (AVCHD, .MOV etc), memory cards are high quality, fast access - in other words I do everything I can to make teh software's life easy. I even only record in 720p rather than 1080.

In the last 2 years I have suffered every problem imaginable with PD - the most annoying of which is it will randomly forget where to locate clips, mid-edit, and doesn't re-find them again if you revert to your previous save. This means, if you are construcing snappily edited movies with short cuts taken from one clip you can face hours of work to rebuild your now fragmented project.

By the way, I'm not an editing novice (in fact I even studied video editing at college a few years ago) and create a fairly professional video product as part of my business for my cllients on a weekly basis. In fact, in teh last 18 months I have uploaded around 80 movies to my youtube channel - all of which are on average around 10 minutes long - some as long as 20 minutes. Each one is assembled from around 2 or 3 hours of footage - so when PD crashes yet again it means I have hours of work to catch back up.

The final straw has come last week. My most recent video should have taken me around 10 hours to edit and publish - instead it took 4 DAYS. This was because 3 times it lost around 10% of my clips, and for 2 of those days it was crashing roughl;y every 15 minutes. So, I finally finished it and published it on Saturday - today I decided to remove one 4 second clip, right at the end of the timeline as I didn't like the ending, and republished it. SURPRISE SURPRISE it's now lost about 6 clips, spread throughout the movie.

Oh, and because of the way it completely forgets what the clip was in teh first place you then have to go back through all the source files trying to remember what the clip was in the first place, as it loses the filename too!

How I ever paid for this awful product I'll never know - but I wish IO could just get the damn thing to work properly, as I am now so familiar with how to use it. Reading consumer reviews a LOT of people have a LOT of problems with various incarantions of Powerdirector....I so wish I had seen them first and got a different package. In fact, I bought it online - but recently visited a very large multinational retailer who openly laughed at PD and said it was teh worst editing software they sell and they steer everyone away from it!

HOWEVER - what can be done to assure me PD10 is better? Like I say, I now know the software pretty well and would rather not learn another package - but if the reliability is the same I would rather edit my movies with the software that came with my microwave oven - it'd do a better job than PD9 right now...

Rant Ends!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Have you ever posted a Dxdiag for us to look at?
PART B please.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Let's see if we can assist you. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
MartinH74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here you go:

Filename
DxDiagMartinH74.zip
[Disk]
 Description
DXDiagMartinH74
 Filesize
6 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
559 time(s)
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Good man, Martin.
OK, I see a few things.
1) You need to also post the 64 bit version of your DX.
2) Video driver is integrated, and very weak, junk really, unless you have switching graphics, and the other DX may reveal that.
3) The video driver as it is, is quite out of date.
4) Your C drive is too full, you should have at least 100gb free.
There ya go, others may also chime in, I am NOT the expert here. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
MartinH74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
1) I'm not sure what you mean by that - how do I do this?
2) Other DX - I don't understand PC jargon I'm afraid - sorry!
3) C Drive on this machine is split between two partitions, which show as C and D. There is 82GB free on C anyway?

Bear in mid that it was funtioning far more reliably on my Vista laptop (Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 80GB drive with only about 2GB of space, integrated graphics) which had only had a fraction of the processing power of this one ....which is basically box-fresh bought a couple of weeks ago!
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Sorry,
when you go into the DXdiag creator, if you have a 64 bit system, you can create 2 Dxdiag files, one each for the regular as you supplied, and the other is the 64 bit version.
Same process, you'll see it there.
PD10 is a hungry beast. It needs a decent video card (which you might have, not sure yet), RAM, and for creation, 100 GB free at least on C:
Sure wish others would chime in here. Look for that 64bit Dxdiag, OK? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
MartinH74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, here we are again....however, what I don't get is - irrespective of spec - the software performs worse on this machine than my 3 year old laptop...
 Filename
DxDiagMartinH74 (2).zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
7 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
567 time(s)
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Bump - help HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure where the tech savvy folks are, Barry & Martin...

CPU: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2430M+%40+2.40GHz

GPU: (integrated) http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+HD+i5-2430M

Martin - I'm not sure why PD appears to be running more reliably on your other dual core laptop, but the PC in question definitely looks to be underpowered for the task of video editing, as Barry indicated previously.

On your other issue of needing to re-edit sections because PD "loses the clips"... I'd say that is probably a workflow issue rather than PD or your PC not being up to the job. Can you provide specific details of what you did/what happened before & during the "lost clips" episode?

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
MartinH74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
No - it happens totally randomly - but often happens when you reopen your work teh following day - you just get a reference of 0,0,0 instead of the filename.

The machine certainly isn't struggling to operate - I can preview in good definition, it is happy to run 1080p clips when I try it - the old machine wouldn't even open them - although I am currently only using 720p.

It is all well and good to say that "the machine isn't up to it" - but I simply don't think that is the case here. Sure, it's not a top end machine - but we can't all afford to drop thousands on our computers I'm afraid. Seems to me that teh issue is teh software - otherwise the old laptop would have performed even worse...

...actually it did perform worse in terms of teh capabilities (slow-down, frame rate issues, had to preview in low-def etc) - but the big BUT is that it never crashed this much. Sure it crashed quite often - which many people say is typical of the PD software - but since going to the new machine it functions better, but is completely unstable. In operation it's totally fine - but it spends a lot of its time not operating!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Martin -

My comments were in no way excusing some of PD's stability issues. They were based purely on the specs of your PC. Honestly, you wouldn't expect a happy ride editing with an integrated GPU. To be fair to the PD "fanboys" (people with less stability issues, I guess), they're probably editing on higher end machines. Yes - of course it comes down to budget.

So - apart from editing video, your PC functions fine. Have you used other video editing software on it? At least 720p clips are less of a drain on the system. There are many maintenance things you can do to help make sure your editing is smoother, including giving the C drive more head space.

On the "lost clips" issue... that most often occurs when PD cannot locate the clips that were originally imported. The file path may have changed because the clips were renamed or moved. Are the clips stored on your hard drive? Did you import them into PD directly from your camera, or transfer them to your PC first?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
MartinH74;
In the last 2 years I have suffered every problem imaginable with PD

We "fanboys" (I guess I am one) have much experience with problems in PD9 and 10, and it appears, a much different opinion of the product. Because of this, and the fact that you dispute their answers, I will not restate the solutions that the others here have offered you.

All I will say is that NONE of the machines you have referenced will give you a good experience in 64BIT Powerdirector ULTRA. You should not use ANY laptop to try and run this video editing application, especially trying to edit HD files!!!

Yes, some have found limited success, but, I use a silly analogy here........just because someone swam the English Channel, doesn't mean that I CAN!!! Stop using laptops and get a POWERFUL MACHINE, and you will find that PD10 (and even PD9 sometimes) is a GREAT application!!!

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Dec 21. 2011 18:38

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I agree that Martin's laptop is not up to the task, but I disagree, somewhat, that laptops are a bad idea for this application.
My DV7 works just fine, and my little DM1 works good enough to make and upload or export small chunks of HD material. But both those machines were carefully chosen for PD, and I also don't get mad if I push one of them too far and exceed it's ability. That being said, a desktop is better, and can be upgraded.
Martin is in a tough place re PD9, and I'll bet the other PCs were also insufficient, hence the crash history. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
Barry;
And, swimming the English Channel, is that what caused you to look like a crab??

Would you say that ANY of your laptops meet the minimum Specifications of the product as defined by Cyberlink.

Besides, you know when to pause and when to forge ahead...so you may get some results.

I am tempted to look back at your past comments to see if you have really ENJOYED PD9 on your laptops, but it is nice to hear you are satisfied now!
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
My specs are in my signature. Both work, albeit better with the i7 machine.
PD9 was smashing at the last/final patch.
10 is growing on me.
Martin is in need of a better machine if he is to continue. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
MartinH74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Better machine my butt, Barry. You are completely ignoring the fact that the software only became seriously unstable after going to Win7 on a much better machine. I can't believe the snobbery in tech-based forums like this one - that's why I normally avoid them - the only solution fans of a product are going to come up with are "you don't know what you are doing" or "you aren't rich enough"!

Yep, great solution - tell the guy who has got a 2 week old machine to go and buy another. Genuis. At no point have you for one second considered my point that maybe - just maybe - the software is at fault. Do you work for Cyberlink? Or have you been brainwashed to such a degree that you can't actually consider what I have been trying to say about the BETTER machine performing WORSE than the old machine with a lower spec? That sounds to me like it has nothing to do with needing to upgrade the new laptop and everything to do with a software issue! If I followed your line of reasoning to an extreme, based on my experience, on a cost/benefit scale having a better machine it would perform even less reliably!

FredB - stop using laptops? Again - great advice for those of you with money to burn I suppose - but even if I did have cash falling out of my ears it would be no good to me as I have to edit one video every week, irrespective of where in the world I am. I am away from home for 6 months of the year - from April to October - so unless you can suggest a very long power cable that is not practical at all. And practicality is why nearly everyone these days has relegated the desktop PC to a dusty corner of their loft/basement/bin.

Tony - thanks - you are being constructive rather than simply dismissive - and funily enough you have struck upon a comment which I guess I am considering myself - other software. I've only really ever used Movie Maker (runs issue free, but doesn't do AVCHD) Outside of the world of the PD forums other people generally say PD software is dreadfully unreliable, and that market leaders generally offer a far more trouble-free experience without lazy programming forcing the software to be overly reliant of the procesing capabilities of the hardware.

No, I don't try to edit directly from the memory card of the camera or an external drive - everything is imported into a specific file for editing - internally - so the file path is constant.

By the way - I am not inexperienced in video editing here - my uploads have received over around 64,000 hits on youtube in the last 18 months!

GoPokes
Member Location: NE Oklahoma Joined: Jun 04, 2011 10:33 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
MartinH74,
your conclusion to your problem. You seem to want someone to agree with your conclusion to be validated. Everyone posting are giving you cause/effects/solutions to help you with your sftw and hdw problems, Which is the Standard Operation Procedure on this Forum, thank God. we newbies need badly and appreciate very much.
The software, PD, could be written better for your application, I am sure. Seems several editing software are on the market that will do what you need. They may run with your Hardware. Why are you using PD? All cost are related to features and benefits. Price for PD is cheap compared to what it does and competes with. If Cyberlink threw the money at coding to cover all possibilities of needed code working with all hardware, I couldn't afford it and would be stuck using Movie Make because of cost, user friendly, cost, and cost. I will gladly pay for the features of PD. And set my system up to run PD. Every upgrade I have made has increased my ability to run other editing sftw like CS5 & PL2. And my grandkids have gotten the benefit of games running smoothly. I am not sure how much education would have cost on other sftw, but these editors and toots have given me free support and their work has given my shortcuts, brodened my imagination, and editing possibilities.

IMHO
I hope you find a solution but I don't see help for your problem being here. or the circles will continue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 22. 2011 17:48

Amature does it till he gets it right. A Pro does it till he can't get it wrong.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Martin,
I have gone out of my way to help you, for free, I do not work for CL.
Your processor is fine.
Your video card stinks and the driver is a year old. Things change very quickly.
You need more room on your C drive.
Are you clicking on functions faster than your machine can keep up?
Perhaps a re-install is merited.
There are other things that can cause issues, do you have the latest PD9 patch?
If PD9 runs so good on my little DM1 (up to a point), then why do you blame only the software?
Your frustration has turned to rudeness.
I suggest you convert your files and use Movie Maker.
All done here, I'm getting crabby.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 22. 2011 07:25

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi MartinH74,

I do not have PD10, find no need at this time, I do have PD9 installed on my desktop and my laptop.
Never had the situation where clips have been lost when opening a project, even though most of my clips and images are stored on an external e-sata drive, but I do suffer from constant crashes, more so on the desktop than the laptop, yet the desktop is a very powerful reasonably high end computer.

I use 3 editing programs now, each one is used for a specific purpose, then combine them in PD9 to complete the project, PD9's rendering speed is phenomenal.

One thing I have learnt with PD9 is to save regularly and every hour or so, I save with a different file extension, so that I always have a fall-back when the program crashes.

I recently carried out a test using PD9 and one of my other NLE's, the test being to create a 9 video TV wall using 720p HD video, PD9 crashed 12 times before it could finally complete the wall, most lock-ups occurred as soon as I tried to position a clip in the preview screen.
However once completed PD9 could play the video wall without any hesitation whatsoever.
So, PD9 took nearly an hour to complete the wall, which without crashes should have been completed in less that 8 minutes but it produced the project in just 29 seconds.
I experienced no crashes at all with my other NLE, but as it does not have the grid option of PD9, it took longer to create the wall, it's necessary to calculate the size and position location of each clip, but the wall was completed in 17 minutes. You cannot preview the completed wall, without stuttering/stopping, but this NLE does have the ability to render a clip in the timeline, something any future version of PD should have.
Producing the completed wall took 1 min. 58 seconds, 4 times longer than PD9.

Overall, PD9 is a much better editing program, if only CyberLink could address the stability issues, that won't happen with PD9 of course, now that PD10 has been released, which appears to have inherited a lot of the PD9 issues, so I wait PD11, which hopefully will have all the inherited issues resolved.

Robert

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 22. 2011 07:37

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert,
Over a year ago you carried out a similar TVWall test and I don't think PD9 was crashing on your system then, I think I'm right in making that point. I'm sure you would have raised that issue with me. So i wonder what has changed on your system and what has been installed. Constant crashing is not a pleasant thing to happen while editing and all stressed systems are likely to see it occur.

PD9 = 64bit, uses all your resources. If you have another software running at the same time.. You may also have a faulty ram which only shows up the problem at the stress point.

Just thinking aloud.

PD10 does not have as many issues as PD9 had on launch.

Dafydd