Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cant play Green Zone Blu-ray in PDVD Ultra 9
Pastry08 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 28, 2010 06:33 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
no there isnt they arent even emailing responces to me from tech support anymore they are jerks
Rusell
Newbie Joined: Aug 25, 2010 19:37 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
8-25-10

I have a Lite-On Blu-ray player on the my PC, and I am using Power DVD 9 version 9.0.2320.9. I rented Green Zone Blu-ray from Netflix and have not been able to play the disk past the previews. As reported in preceding posts, after the previews all I get is a black screen. No controls work, including the pop-up menu.

So far, of the many Blu-ray disks I have played, this is the one and only one I have not been able to play.

Rusell
[Post New]
I apologize for making two successive posts, but I have information that may help other viewers of this thread.

As I explained in my preceding post, I could not get Power DVD 9 to play the Green Zone Blu-ray disk beyond the opening previews. Another poster said they had success with TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum, so I tracked that down to its ArcSoft website, downloaded and installed the trial version, only to discover that only the full version will play Blu-ray disks.

So I went back to the ArcSoft website, bought, and downloaded TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum. That set me back ninety-bucks Then I uninstalled the trial version and installed the version I had just bought and downloaded.

I can now watch Green Zone

Cyberlink--at least for this particular Blu-ray movie--needs to get their fangdanged posteriors adjusted
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
It sounds to me that it is beneficial to have TWO software players. After looking at the previously mentioned software player I browsed their 1,750 Topics and 14,734 posts. I searched for "will not play". Apparently Cyberlink's PDVD COULD PLAY what they COULD NOT....and vice versa. While reading the many posts of disgruntled users I felt that this companies software is not without it's fair share of user problems. It was actually kind of humorous to see some of the users "threaten" to get a refund from the competitor software and go get their copy of Cyberlinks PDVD that was able to play the movie they wanted to watch. All you have to do is change the names of the players and the story appears to be the same.

I suppose it all depends on which movie you decide to watch and which software player at a specific moment in time is able to play it.

Bottom Line: It is unfortunate that the developers of the software have to keep up with the anti-piracy encryption that is placed on the discs. I suppose we should all point our fingers at the people who are copying the discs....this is why the encryption is there in the first place.

Just an observation....

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Rusell
[Post New]
Cap'n Kevin:

Thank you for the informative and interesting reply. In lieu of your information maybe the bottom line of my preceding post should have read that both Cyberlink and ArcSoft need to get their posteriors adjusted.

Actually, though, Cyberlink doesn't seem to need much adjustment. I have used my Power DVD 9 to view many DVDs, including many Blu-ray disks, and Green Zone is the only one that was incompatible. (I suspect the incompatibility has to do with that disk's feature of automatically downloading previews from the Internet. Still I've watched other new Blu-ray disks with the same feature, and I had no trouble with them.)

Thanks again for your research of TotalMedia incompatibilities. It does seem right to have a back-up Blu-ray player, and I would recommend that all PC viewers do that if it weren't for one thing: price. At approximately a hundred dollars for either Cyberlink's or ArcSoft's Blu-ray players, I think budget-minded PC viewers should perhaps stick with Power DVD. If they run across the rare Blu-ray that is incompatible, they can always view the regular DVD.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rusell,

Thank you for your calm and insightful response to my post. Occasionally there are some that are so rip snortin mad because they can't play a disc that....if I write anything that is remotely complimentary to Cyberlink they give me a piece of their mind. And I can understand why they are mad....I wasn't the one that couldn't watch the movie.

I just feel that it is important to keep DVD and Blu-Ray software and the problems they all have in perspective. They all have some issues...but for me Power DVD has been an excellent product and I am really enjoying watching some of my older DVD's....the quality improvement makes watching them even more enjoyable.

But in the "end" both Cyberlink and ArcSoft need to get their posteriors adjusted!! Or at least respond more quickly to the problems that I see in the forums and provide a solution that is served to its consumers in a more timely fashion.

I enjoyed reading your post Rusell!

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Peter [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 26, 2010 22:39 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem as described with the Green Zone Blu-Ray DVD. Using a HTPC with an LG multiformat drive, Blu-Ray disks from NetFlix (sent one back -- wished I had a look at this forum before trying again, with no luck) .
The question I have is -- is there a listing of Blu-Ray disks that PDVD 9 can't read? Either CyberLink or NetFLix should have this list posted somewhere- would save all of us grief and postage.

--Peter
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
If all the people who have a problem running their BluRay disks on PD could just send them to me, I could compile a list of those which I cannot play, just to add to such a database. Sending the ones which do play would also be quite welcome, I am sure I can find time to confirm

As I have 3 BD players, with PDVD9 and 10 and PS3, I am uniquely positioned to offer this service. My address available to you - just send me a PM.

denbigh i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Rusell
[Post New]
Kevin:

Thank you. I agree that Power DVD is the best DVD and BD-DVD software. Formerly I used WinDVD, until I started watching Blu-rays on my PC. I never got WinDVD 9 Plus to work at all. TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum worked fine for Green Zone, but I am going to use it only if I run into another problem like I had with Green Zone. I prefer Power DVD 9 Ultra because I'm familiar with the controls (even though many of the newer Blu-rays don't support some mouse functions and shortcuts), and because of your research regarding Blu-ray incompatibilities.
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
Please see this thread. Link to "I can play"

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 10. 2010 09:58

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Rusell
[Post New]
If you can't watch Blu-ray Green Zone and if you have PowerDVD that supports Blu-ray, you might want to check SeptimusFry's thread "I can play Green Zone."

At the time I write this, the region A rental version of Green Zone can't be played using PowerDVD. (You see a sequence of trailers, but not the movie.) Maybe CyberLink will issue an update that will fix this trouble. Meanwhile, if you want to write a message to Universal Pictures, KRONAH and I have left instructions on how you can do this. Check SeptimusFry's thread.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 16. 2010 18:22

Rusell
[Post New]
Below is CyberLink's technical-support reply to my query regarding not being able to play Green Zone Blu-ray rental disk with PowerDVD 9 Ultra (update version 9.0.2528.51):

Dear Russell,

Thank you for writing back.

I understand that you are unable to play "Green Zone" Blu-ray in PowerDVD 9 Ultra software.

I apologize for the delayed response.

In regards to your issue, I would like to inform you that I have already escalated this case to the product and developement department and it vis declared as BUG in this software and I request you to please have patient till I get the exact resolution. As our team is working hard to get the customer's satisfaction.

I deeply regret for the inconvenience caused to you.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

http://www.CyberLink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp

Thanks and Regards,

Tanmay
CyberLink Technical Support
MARK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2010 05:57 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I had the same problem of not being able to play a rental version of the Green Room (I am in Australia). However, I did get it to finally play. From the other posts I saw that the issue appeared to be with downloading trailers from the Net.

So what I did was just unplug my network connection and the movie played straightaway

I switched to 'classic version' first but I think the resolution was not having the network, so it skips past the trailer bit.

Hope this helps.
DarqMan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 25, 2010 22:37 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem, Green Zone from Netflix wouldn't play in PowerDVD 10 Ultra. I bought Total Media 5 and it played fine. Now I have two players but I'm starting to like Total Media 5 better than PowerDVD. The media center integration is much more polished and less clunky than Cyberlink's solution. Windows 7 64-bit / 4GB DDR3 / Thermaltake DH102 / ASUS M4A79XTD EVO / AMD Phenom II X3 720 / Thermaltake 750W PSU / Western Digital Caviar 640GB / Sapphire 5450 / Adesso wireless keyboard

ATI Digital Cable Tuner
2 x XL1B2 Firewire Changers
HP MediaSmart EX485 WHS, 4.7TB Storage
XBox 360, Sony PS3
Sony DA5400ES HDMI AV Receiver
Harmony 890 Remote

Cox Communications / Guthrie, Oklahoma