Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New cpu - new problem
[Post New]
Hi all,
A few weeks ago I upgraded to Powerdirector 9 from PD 8 and followed advice and bought a faster cpu. I had a Phenom II dual core and upgraded to a quad core.

I've not done much since and it was only a few days ago when I tried burning some data to a dvd and the pc completely locked up that I found I had a problem. (I was using Nero and at just about 4% into writing everything stops).

Now I had the same thing happen before with the old cpu, so I thought I knew what was wrong. I've put this right before by re-installing from a recent acronis back-up (which effectively cleared the hardware of any blame).

So I went to my back-up and guess what, no change. It still froze.

So maybe its the cpu, but then I assume it could be the cooling, or insufficient power.

You hear the fans wack up to full speed and the dvd drive revving up just as the problem occurs.

So how about I try it without the side panel on for extra cooling?

And/or disable some cores when using Nero?

I would be grateful for your thoughts - thanks.

Filename
DxDiag2.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
266 time(s)
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
This looks like your big problem. You do not have enough space on your C: drive to process the video.

Drive: C:
Free Space: 31.2 GB
Total Space: 50.0 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: STM3250318AS

If you are processing HD video you need up to 100 GB free.

In short you need a bigger hard drive.
Nothing bad about having a four core CPU. I would not think the CPU is your problem.

You do not have enough computer overall. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
You do not indicate what type of HD video that is being edited. You also do not indicate what it is that you're "burning" with your DVD drive. However, if it's AVCHD or Mpeg2 then your HD should have at least 30 Gb to spare and the PC at least 6 Gb. Otherwise your system will be quite slow. Win 10, i7
[Post New]
Quote: You do not indicate what type of HD video that is being edited.

Sorry guys, let me clarify.

I was simply copying some raw video clips to a dvd as data files, but that's not really relevant, I was effectively just backing up some data files to a disk.

I appreciate what you say about my hard drive size etc, but at this stage, by fitting a cpu suitable for PD 9, I believe I've lost the ability to burn anything, so that's my first concern that I need to address.

Any thoughts on my cooling/voltage/duff cpu theories?

Cheers and thanks for replying.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You video-card driver is seriously out-of-date, go to Nvidia DIRECTLY and update.
Additionally, are you using SSD's, Because PD does not play well with SSD's.
PD should be on your C drive. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I appreciate what you say about my hard drive size etc, but at this stage, by fitting a cpu suitable for PD 9, I believe I've lost the ability to burn anything, so that's my first concern that I need to address.

I had the experience of upgrading my CPU from a Single core to a dual core CPU.

The results of that caused me to re-install the OS because the OS that worked with the single core cpu failed to load the correct drivers for the dual core CPU.

I could not update the CPU driver for some reason.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Quote:

Don't think I have a driver problem with the cpu, I went from a Phenom II dual core to a Phenom II quad core and was advised it was essentially plug and play.

Carl312
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Don't think I have a driver problem with the cpu, I went from a Phenom II dual core to a Phenom II quad core and was advised it was essentially plug and play.

It also depends on the Motherboard. My computer was little bit older and it was running Windows Media Center (XP).

After the install of the dual core CPU, I installed Windows XP Professional, that solved the problem.
I now have Windows 7 32bit on that dual core computer.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 31. 2011 23:13

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Guys, I've not had the time or energy to get to the bottom of my dvd burning crash problem yet, but would this be a possible workaround?

I gather you can produce a film to a file, so as I'm only doing small things for standard dvd, could I produce to file, then copy the file on to a large memory stick and write it to dvd on another computer?

Would that then be playable in a domestic dvd player, and would I lose quality along the way? Thanks.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Guys, I've not had the time or energy to get to the bottom of my dvd burning crash problem yet, but would this be a possible workaround?

I gather you can produce a film to a file, so as I'm only doing small things for standard dvd, could I produce to file, then copy the file on to a large memory stick and write it to dvd on another computer?

Would that then be playable in a domestic dvd player, and would I lose quality along the way? Thanks.

You could do that if your memory stick is large enough.

Provided your other computer has the disk burning software to create a DVD Video.
A DVD to be playable in a standard DVD player must have the correct file structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video
Scroll down to Directory and file structure.

Why not just burn a disk folder only in Powerdirector? Uncheck burn disk, check burn folder.
Does that work?

Hasi64 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 25, 2010 05:04 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
From my experience I would say it could be the power supply, but burning a few files to a dvd
neither stresses the cpu nor anything else.
Why don't you try another burning software, like Imageburn?
If the problem persists, try to upgrade your power supply.
[Post New]
[quote=Carl312Why not just burn a disk folder only in Powerdirector? Uncheck burn disk, check burn folder.
Does that work?

So that would just write it to the hard drive?

Is your cunning plan, that if I can then get that folder to another pc and then copy it to a dvd, I would have a playable dvd?

Sorry to be slow.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Why not just burn a disk folder only in Powerdirector? Uncheck burn disk, check burn folder.
Does that work?

So that would just write it to the hard drive?

Is your cunning plan, that if I can then get that folder to another pc and then copy it to a dvd, I would have a playable dvd?

Sorry to be slow.

Powerdirector have the function of creating a disk folder instead of burning the disk directly.

In the create disk module, uncheck burn disk. Check burn disk folder.

That creates the DVD or Bluray disk structure on the hard drive.
Powerdirector puts that disk structure in a folder named "My Video" in your Export folder as defined in Preferences > file.

You can then burn as many disks from that folder you want to with a disk authoring software such as Imgburn or Nero.
Cyberlink has Power2go for a price.

You can copy the whole My Video to any other computer that has the disk authoring software. you can also play that folder in DVD Player Software.

If you have the Codecs, Windows Media Player will play the DVD folder.
If you are doing BluRay, it requires a BluRay software player to play the folder from the hard drive.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 08. 2011 09:07

[Post New]
Quote: You can copy the whole My Video to any other computer that has the disk authoring software. you can also play that folder in DVD Player Software.

Thanks Carl, that's really helpful.