Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Windows 8 Preview Beta and PD9 64 Bit
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
As most of you know I still run 32 bit with my Win 7. However I downloaded both the 32 and 64 bit Windows 8 betas. I installed the 64 bit Win 8 dual boot on my HP desktop, installed some of my "normal" cant live without programs including PD9 and latest patch.

I am not a PD9 power user as I do not do HD video, only 1 1/2 hour long slide shows, but all I have to say is WOW................... Win 8 is fast in everything it does. But granted that partition isn't cluttered up yet. I DO NOT like the new GUI and I have to use task manager to close some programs as I have not found where they hid everything yet. (as usual nothing is in the same place) and it does not have all the normal Windows programs like any beta. But all you have to do is just install them.

The Win 8 install from DVD (dual boot process) only took about 8 minutes and I was in it online looking at the new IE. SO I immediately downloaded the new Firefox Ver 7 and it smokes with Win 8. It took less than 2 minutes to install PD9 and even less for the content pak. It took about the same for the latest patch.

One interesting thing .... when I go to HD preview the actual preview size is smaller than the preview window but about 1/2 size. If I select High rez its back to normal. (ATI 5770 1 gig video card). The only thing I rendered so far was about 5 minutes of several video clips of mine. Rendering it to mp4 to folder was about 30 seconds. Have not tried burning yet. I still need to import snippet and another graphics/video grabber into Win 8 so I can catch some of whats going on....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 30. 2011 12:18

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's just nice to read your fascination about Win8.
But in ONE degree you are - sorry to say so - comparing apples with pears - a 32bit Win7 with a 64bit Win8.
Try a 64bit installation of Win7, which doubtlessly will be faster than the 32bit installation - and compare then.
THAT's the interesting fact!
BTW: Why do you 'mutilate' Win7 to 32bit, when your system is 64bit capable?

Michael.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 30. 2011 12:59

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I did have 64 bit on my Win 7 for over a year and then went to 32 bit. I am not comparing 32 bit to 64 bit anywhere in my thread. Thought I was comparing Win 7 to Win 8.... But I guess you just didn't get it... The reason I went to 32 bit was software issues before the public version went on sale, and I just never felt I needed to go back to 64 bit later as I never have had any issues using 32 bit, not am I a speed freak....

Actually I wanted to see what PD9 would do with Win8 64 bit... but I guess I will just say "never mind.... who cares....." __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link