Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD won't play DVDs nor blu-rays
d_mcg [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 20, 2011 00:35 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I installed the version of PowerDVD 8 that came with my LG Blu-ray/DVD combo drive (CH10LS20), and have installed the software update from the program itself. The problem is that I'm unable to play either DVDs or Blu-ray discs:

* For DVDs, the player doesn't start playing the disc. If I click the Play button, PowerDVD waits for a few seconds then stops - never getting to the disc menu.

* For Blu-ray, I receive a message that the format is not recognised, so those cannot be played either. I was under the impression that the software update would have installed the required codecs if they weren't present in the original version that came on the disc included with my drive.

I noticed there are buttons / menus to 'activate' the product. Is this necessary for the player to work? It accepts some 30-character code (split into 6 text boxes of 5 characters each), but there is no such code on the installation CD sleeve or anywhere among the contents of the retail package of the drive.

My player edition/version (as reported by PowerDVD itself) is PowerDVD BD - OEM 6CH with the MPEG4 AVC pack and Mobility pack; version 8.0.3228f.50. The BD region setting is greyed out with nothing selected (should be 'B') and zero changes remaining, though it correctly shows my location as New Zealand in the drop-down above.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on a machine with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ processor, 2GB RAM and GeForce 8600GT graphics card. The DVD & Blu-ray tested were from the Inception Blu-ray 4-disc set (which includes the DVD version). Blu-rays are Region B, DVDs are Region 4.

Any ideas as to why PowerDVD isn't playing my movies? I'm able to play DVDs using the VLC player just fine, though this can't (yet) play blu-rays. What can I do to get PowerDVD to work (short of contacting LG and/or CyberLink directly for their advice)?

Many thanks.
Daniel
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
please help to post some more detail info about your issue:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page

thanks and BR
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
KaNTGeTSaIN13 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 22, 2011 12:18 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same issue. And if I knew how to get all that information beforehand, I probably could have fixed the problem myself. Or wrote a better piece of software.

All that is needed is "we don't care". I have the identical bundle, and the exact same issue. So it most likely isn't a unique issue needing to know everything about the PC, the owner, and how many times the owner has a bowel movement per day. It looks to be an issue with the software in general.

Looks like I'm finding my BD/DvD viewing solution elsewhere, because Cyberlink doesn't care enough to make properly working software.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

without any system information it is not possible to investigate the issue. There are some issues related to Hardware or other Software, but without the asked information it is impossible to help.

BR
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan