Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Preview screen turns green when editing a video
redcsctrike [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2011 13:55 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, I'm having problems with powerdirector9 ultra64 9.0.0.2504. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on an HP Pavilion dv6-2170us. I am attaching the dxdiag text file along with a jpeg showing the green screen problem I am having. I did a search for green screen, but did not find much information on the site

I start the program normally.
doubleclick powerdirector icon on main windows screen
powerdirector main screen opens
click on "file" on top left of screen
click on open project
select the pds project I am working on
highlight the video on the timeline by clicking on it
select multi trim
select in and out parts thoughout movie
click okay
now have several clips on the timeline
click on file (top left)
click on save project
close powerdirector

When I come back to the computer at a different
time, I start the program normally.
doubleclick powerdirector icon on main windows screen
powerdirector main screen opens
click on "file" on top left of screen
click on open project
select the pds project I am working on
highlight the video on the timeline by clicking on it
Video in preview screen immediately turns the color green. All
portions of the video remain green throughout the movie, no
matter which portion of the timeline I choose for the clip I
am working with.

If I click on the video in the media section (where the media is listed), the preview screen returns to normal. However, when I click anywhere on the timeline, just above the clip or within the clip, the preview screen turns green again. It is impossible to discern most of the clip since the preview screen looks as if I am wearing bright green glasses. I have attached a jpeg.

I have installed the program from my original download and ran the updated files (to get to the latest version). When I do this, the program works fine and the preview screen is normal. I can save the project and it is fine when I reload it. However, if I try to trim the video, and then save the project, the next time I load the project and click on the video clip or timeline, the preview screen turns green again.

I have reloaded the program 5 separate times now with the same result. I am not sure what is going on with the preview screen.

The green screen has also appeared after saving a pds file when I have just split a video clip. I have not tried to write the video to a disk to see if the resultant video would be "green" on a television or computer screen.

I hope I have provided enough information. If anyone needs any additional information, I'll be glad to add it.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Oh, before I reinstalled the program, I have followed the suggestion and even edited the registry to completely remove powerdirector. Thank you for any assistance. I really don't want to have to reload the program every time I want to use it.
[Thumb - PD_problems.jpg]
 Filename
PD_problems.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
73 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
837 time(s)
 Filename
RogerG_64bit_DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
518 time(s)
rezzna [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 08, 2011 18:26 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Exact same problem. Cyberlink need to answer this really, I've had the program no longer than 24 hours and I can't preview anything.

Windows 7
ATI Radeon HD3470 Mobility 256mb
Considerable frustration 4Gb
redcsctrike [Avatar]
[Post New]
It is very frustrating. I've had Power Director problems since I purchased it. I don't think I should have to reload PowerDirector 9.0 each time I want to use it. I can't tell anything about the video once it turns green. The video is okay if I just view the mpeg file using a different Windows program. The worst thing is that once the screen turns green I can't do anything to change it from green except exit the program, delete it from my computer, edit the registry, reload the program, reload the two updates, and restart. I can then view the video in the preview screen and write it to a disk. But if I try to trim the file or edit in any way, and save it, the next time I load the project, the screen turns green. I wish someone would reply with an answer.

I have written to support, but they have not been able to help with this issue.

I think someone else had this problem before in one of the forums, but I believe it was with an earlier version of PowerDirector. I don't think the issue was resolved and the gentleman responding suggested reloading the program after removing it. That seems to work until I use it again. I sure hope someone can help. The last time I reinstalled the program, as soon as I loaded the saved project, the preview screen turned green. Thanks for reading about my problem. Is there any additional information I need to upload to try and help troubleshoot this problem? Thanks!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi redcstrike -

Obviously it's some kind of display issue. It'd be well worth updating your graphics driver (dated 10/8/09) - I think this is the appropriate one, but check on the Intel site http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+controllers&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics&ProdId=3231&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39

That'd be a start, anyway. It might eliminate a few possible causes of the problem.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
redcsctrike [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Tony. I checked and none of the drivers on the Intel site were appropriate for my laptop even though I have an Intel graphics chipset. I thought one of the drivers might be okay to install, but when I was installing it, I got a message saying it was not appropriate for my laptop. I then went to the HP site: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-79610-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=4063&product=4121246&sw_lang=

I downloaded and installed the updated driver I found there. I will have to see if that helps. I'll let everyone know if it changes anything. Thanks, Roger
redcsctrike [Avatar]
[Post New]
No, the latest driver from HP didn't change anything.

Still the green screen. What I don't understand is if it is a graphic driver problem, why does it work at first and only not work when I drag the file to the timeline? I would think it would have a problem all the time if it were a graphic problem. I think it is something within PowerDirector. The mpeg file is okay when loaded into the media area (top left hand side of the PowerDirector screen). It shows up in the preview screen just fine.

The preview screen immediately turns green the very second I drag the file onto the timeline. This is not any fun at all! I appreciate everyone reading about my problem and hope someone can come up with a solution. Thanks, Roger
contra [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 05, 2011 20:21 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Exact same problem here. I can load a clip and preview it a number of times. Then it turns green the next time I preview it, and never changes back. I have one project where the clips turned green over a couple of days, one at a time. I can restart the software and reboot the computer and all the clips are still green in that project. It seems to be limited to HD (1080i) clips. I haven't had issues with 480i clips yet.

I'm using two video cards with nVidia chipsets, not the Intel chipset. Both video cards (different nVidia models) show the clips as green when previewed, but the thumbnails always appear correctly in the timeline. It appears that PowerDirector just decides to make them green and then that's it. Based on my experience with PowerDirector 9 so far, it's much more likely to be a bug in their software than with the video card drivers. The software also seems to have significant problems with syncing audio properly on the timeline.

For some reason, many people assume that video card drivers are the cause of any issue. But having written video card drivers personally for video companies, I can assure you that in most cases it is not.

Is there anyone from CyberLink that is familiar with the green video problem?

Thanks!
contra [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 05, 2011 20:21 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
It appears that turning off Shadow Files corrects the problem. I unchecked this and the green video preview went away. Hopefully this helps someone else.

Thanks.
David290361 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Silicon Valley Joined: Aug 29, 2011 16:27 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same problem. I installed PowerDirector last week, it was working OK, then this problem started and has made the software unusable.

I have a deadline to get these videos out today and this has stopped me dead in my tracks.

What I have tried so far:

- Restarted the PC.
- Turned off Shadow files. Did not solve the problem.
- Removed and reinstalled Power Director 9 (64 bit) software. This worked for a few minutes then the problem came back.
- Deleted all the temporary files (from Edit-Preferences-General-Manually delete).

Questions:

- If it's a video card issue why does it work for a few minutes then stop working? Why did it work for several days before this bug appeared? The video card did not change from the time it was working to the time it stopped.
- If it's a video card issue, why does the video that's produced (in .WMV format) also have the green color? This is not just a temporary display issue, it's a problem that changes the color of the video that is produced/rendered.

Please, any help to resolve this would be much appreciated. I'm totally stuck now with this and can't get my videos out on deadline. David
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Fellow editors,

I have yet to experience this green screen problem that you are having, and I have been using Power Director for many years and versions.

In order to sort out the problem we have to determine what is causing the issue. It seems that the finger is being pointed in various directions. Video drivers, video cards, and Cyberlink coding.

The one and only thing that is constant here is the software. If this software works correctly on my system and many many others, then it is reasonable to look at what the differences are. Every one of us has the software running in very different environments. What is it in these different environments that is causing the effect you are experiencing. Is it under powered hardware, out of date drivers, a lack of system memory, a lack of video memory, confilcting software on the system.

There are many many variables that can be the cause of the problem. If we only point the finger at Cyberlink, we will never get to the solution. As I stated earlier, the PD9 software is the only constant in the equation. In my humble opinion the problem lies with one or more of the variables.

Software code does not, in itself, decide to do something on one system that it does not on another, If the systems are exactly equal. The software code will respond the same.

Just my opinion of course.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
David290361 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dear Hal,

Thanks for your help.

I have brand new ASUS laptop, 4gb Ram 500Gb hard drive. Intel i5 processor running System 7. I just updated the video and audio drivers so they are current. There's lots of RAM and disk space, so that's not an issue.

The problem persists. All the previews and video produced with HD footage is bright green.

The only thing I have not done so far is reset the PowerDirector registry keys and completely reinstall, but I don't know how to do that. David
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
David,

I don't see any information on what video card you are running, so I cannot comment on that. Most editors feel that a video card with a minimum of 1gig dedicated memory is required to edit HD video.

Cyberlink also recommends that you have at least 6gig memory for a 64 bit operating system, you have 4gig.

You mention how large your HD is but you do not mention how much free space is available on that drive for swap files and temporary files that are required for video editing.

Have a look at my response to Daryl, about the middle of the first page of this thread for a glimpse of what goes on during editing.

To figure out what is turning your videos green in PD9, you will have to do some investigation. Start with some simple standard definition videos and produce them. Gradually keep moving up the scale until the videos turn green. You may find a weakness in your system.

I realize that you are on a deadline and that sucks for sure. But I can assure you that the software works and works well. It is by no means perfect, but dollar for dollar it is the best I have used.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
David290361 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So turns out the green problem does not occur with high-def .WMV files, but it does occur with all high-def .MP4 files and .MTS files. Hope this helps someone figure out what's happening here. David
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
David,

What CODECs do you have installed on your system. PD9 does not always have "every" codec needed. do search on ffmpeg on this forum.

there are different 64bit codec as well as 32 bit, I install both sets.

always get latest versions possible

It looks like you are missing a required codec for HD.

(O yah, some vendors supply codec with their software that ONLY WORK with their own ... locked editions, so even if you have it on your system, not every other software can encode with it, also some codec will not encode, only decode!)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 30. 2011 10:35

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
David290361 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the CODEC tip. Sounds like you've figured it out. Now I just need to figure out where to get the CODECs from. David
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
do a search for K-lite they have both 32/64 bit codecs I believe.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
David290361 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just installed the 32 bit and 64 bit K-Lite Codecs, rebooted and this did not solve the problem. Opened a new PD9 project imported HD footage and the HD videos are still green when previewed. David
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
GOOGLE is your freind

What version of Quicktime do you have installed, there are TWO flavors, iTune specific and generic?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 30. 2011 14:00

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
David,

This is not the same symptom (and green screen issues have been solved in different ways before) but since all else seems to be failing it might be worth a try - it is wholly reversible. PD uses an alternate overlay to display the timeline, which is why folk get confused when the media library display works OK but the timeline display doesn't. The DirectShow environment seems to be involved but I have never explored it in detail.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14828.page#71971

As outlined, it does involve a minor change to the registry but if you're OK with that, it might be worth a try.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Rocket-Scientist
[Post New]
I went back and looked at your dxdiag again, for HD editing, you may not have enough memory, 1,6GB is used by your video card (onboard) from 4 GB total with windows 7 64 bit. You simply may not have enough system resources (mostly memory) to display multiple hi-res overlays (ie preview screen)

Can you do a sample standard def project, does it still have green screen? RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU