Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Suggestions on how to create a long scrolling timeline
[Post New]
I'm working on a promotional video for an organization that will have a 30 & 60 second version. As part of the video I would like to have a timeline that scrolls in across the bottom of the screen showing important dates in their history, and scrolls off the left side of the screen before the video ends.

My thought was to create a very wide graphic of the timeline and chroma key it into the video, and apply motion to scroll it from right to left. The biggest problem I'm having right now is that the text on the timeline is fuzzy and unreadable. The graphic is 8000 pixels wide to accomodate the length of the timeline (including some lead-in and trailing space for it to scroll on and off the screen). I've tried it in PNG & BMP formats.

I'm fairly new to this, although I've done other chroma keying with larger text graphics and it's worked fine. Is there a trick to make the graphics sharper, another approach I can use, or should I scrap the concept altoghether?

Thanks in advance for your input.
 Filename
Timeline Graphic2.png
[Disk]
 Description
Timeline Graphic
 Filesize
91 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
232 time(s)
 Filename
TimelineSample.mpg
[Disk]
 Description
Sample Output
 Filesize
5638 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
378 time(s)
PowerDirector 10 Ultra
Dell XPS Studio - i7 3.4 GHz / 8 GB RAM / Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Skully.

Maybe making a lower third might do?

Barry made a tut for PD8, it should work for PD9.

Making Lower Thirds : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9UxBKs9oi8&feature=youtube_gdata

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
You may be out of luck with that approach, although you're looking for something different, the principle here is the same - have a look at this :-
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15041.page#72750

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
Thanks for the input. I might have to change my concept, but for right now I'm still playing with it.

One interesting thing I've discovered is that if I insert the graphic into a panel in the Title Room, I can apply the chroma key and it comes out very crisp and readable - exactly what I was hoping for. Unfortunately, I can't apply motion to an image in the Title Room, so that doesn't solve my issue. It is curious though that the chroma works great in the titles, but not on the individual tracks...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2011 13:13

PowerDirector 10 Ultra
[Post New]
Quote: You may be out of luck with that approach, although you're looking for something different, the principle here is the same - have a look at this :-
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15041.page#72750

Cheers
Adrian

Well, I think you were on target with that link. I remember seeing a discussion about how PD resamples an image when added to the timeline - that appears to be what is happening here. Because the image is so wide to accomodate the length of the timeline, PD not only resizes it to fit in the screen, it resamples it, so that when I stretch the image back to its original height it becomes bitty because I'm stretching the smaller image. Using a transparent PNG instead of chroma keying over the black minimizes the bittyness, but the quality is still degraded. My test of pasting it into the title room worked because PD doesn't resample the image when it is pasted into a title.

So unless there's a way to keep PD from resampling when adding to a video track, I'm going to have to find another way to pan the image at full size and import the panned version into PD as a video file (just as the poster in your link wound up doing).

Thanks to you and 1Nina for your assistance!
PowerDirector 10 Ultra
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
I tried doing a chroma key on your PNG and indeed it is very fuzzy. Will investigate later.

Meamwhile I mad a GIF from it and was successful in creating the motion wished for - see attachments
 Filename
time.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2685 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
407 time(s)
[Thumb - Timeline Graphic2.gif]
 Filename
Timeline Graphic2.gif
[Disk]