Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Complaint - why I will probably never purchase Power2Go over Nero
Hyncharas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2011 23:04 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Recently I had to reinstall my system and so I've needed to use a few trial versions of software for things, including burning files to DVD and Blu-Ray. Every couple of years, I've bought new versions/upgrades and had to to split between PowerDVD and Nero Multimedia Suite, but this year I decided to see which was better. Then I saw Cyberlink's Media Suite 9 Ultra and was intrigued. I read the website and it sounded like a perfect solution, so spent a couple of hours earlier downloading a trial... but after trying to use it for over an hour, I can't tell you just how angry I am with Power2Go. One would think it would be easy to drag-drop files and write them. With your software, however, it's the most painful application I've used in years.

I've spent the better part of the last 25 MINUTES trying to burn a disc, and every time I do, I get a message come up saying that yet another filename/file path is too long! Eventually I decided to revert all the changes I made, because it's simply not worth the effort if I need to spend a bloody long time renaming hundreds of documents. What the hell is wrong with you people - is it really that hard for you to not provide users with a list of filenames that are too long or make the length of file paths better, instead of one error after another without an end in sight?

It's a real shame; I was hoping to not spend double the money on all the EASY functionality I want, but it looks as though I will still be purchasing an upgrade for a Nero suite and PowerDVD standalone again, due to an utterly rediculous feature your company decided to do when you made your software. I'm very disappointed.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Feb 19. 2011 23:36

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
sorry to hear you are not liking our Software - please let me point out that Power2Go follows the standards and that for file path lenght and File name lenght some restrictions appear - depinding on the Disc format you have chosen.

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Hyncharas [Avatar]
[Post New]
That may be so, but I've used Nero for a couple of years now and it's never given me this kind of trouble.

Your restrictions appear to be way too cumbersome. I would've loved to purchase your all-in-one solution, but it's just not feasible if I can't copy any files in subdirectories I've set because it can't have paths over 15 characters per tier.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi can you post an example, maybe as snapshot, so I can have a look into it.

Please also post which settings for Disc you used (CD/DVD/BD) and which detail setting - if possible

thanks and br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Hyncharas [Avatar]
[Post New]
These are my settings:

And here is the error:

I've tried the software with something else but, basically, it doesn't seem to like any file-path over 40 characters long. It also doesn't seem to like even short filenames in subdirectories of three tiers or above. Unfortunately a lot my documents have to list their version/date of revision so they're easier to find, and sometimes separated through multiple tiers depending on what the content is...

As I've said, Nero doesn't experience this as much, since their file-path length appears to allow for upto 200 characters.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 20. 2011 12:23

veepvp [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 20, 2012 14:16 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
has this been fixed - i just got the exact same message - and can't imagine why there is ANY restriction from any software!!

I am burning a data disc of a folder - with 5 layers of sub folders - I can't change the way it's set up

Why does the software care how many sub folders are in place?? It' a data disc...
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: has this been fixed - i just got the exact same message - and can't imagine why there is ANY restriction from any software!!

I am burning a data disc of a folder - with 5 layers of sub folders - I can't change the way it's set up

Why does the software care how many sub folders are in place?? It' a data disc...

There are some inherent limitations in Windows itself. It is, in fact, possible to create a file path/name that is too long for Explorer or the console window to handle. The Windows API supports 259 (plus null terminator) characters. There are other APIs available, and each has its own features and limitations. For example, although the Windows API is case-insensitive, the POSIX API is case-sensitive.

NTFS itself supports much longer names, probably in the range of 32767.

There are undoubtedly limits imposed by the file system on the CD or DVD, but I don't know what they are. There is more than one file system type. Jerry Schwartz