Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 v2504 Subtitle (SRT) import/export issue workarounds
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Hello there,

Working in my SRT Merge program, I have found two issues with PD that I already have reported to technical support (ID = CS000976701). So until CL fixed, this are the workarounds

ISSUE #1
PD9 EXPORTED .SRT FILES, DOESN’T USE STANDARD SRT FORMAT

First let me explain what the two attached files are. Both files are .SRT subtitles example, originally created in PD to demonstrate the issues. Both have the same 4 subtitles but with different structure:

SRTOriginal is the original created with PD9 and exported to .SRT (with has 1.17Kb)
SRTSaved is the same file but opened with WordPad and saved as normal text .SRT file (0,6Kb)

As you know, the SRT subtitles files are normal ASC TEXT based files, that use carrier return(CR)+line feed(LF) to separate each line and have the following structure:

<SUBTITLE NUMBER> (CR+LF)
<STARTtimecode --> ENDtimecode>(CR+LF)
<subtitle lines> (separated with CR+LF)
<BLANK LINE >(CR+LF) to separate from next subtitle

PD9 can read both, but others .SRT programs fail to read the PD9 original created file. The reason is that PD9 use none conventional way to save the .SRT file:

- Adds the FFFE characters at the beginning of the file
- All next characters are separate by a null character 00
- They use only LF (0A) to separate each line and only use CR (0D) to separate the subtitles lines
EDITED:
- Also it doesn’t add or recognize SRT text commands like for italic.

WordPad can read it because it omit those FFFE and null (00) characters and it save it like normal Unicode text file (using CRLF)

WORKAROUND:BEFORE YOU USE PD9 EXPORTED .SRT FILES IN OTHER PROGRAMS:
First Option: OPEN IT WITH WORDPAD AND THE SAVE IT HAS NORMAL TEXT FILE (RENAMED To .SRT)
Second Option: USE MY SRT MERGE PROGRAM WHEN IT’S REALESED FREE

ISSUE #2
PD9 FAILS TO IMPORT SUBTITLES THAT STARTS WITH NUMBERS

If any imported subtitle line starts with a number, PD stop importing the remaining subtitles. PD9 thinks that the number is a SUBTITLE header NUMBER. The attached files demonstrate this issue (you can use any of them). The file has 4 subtitles and PD9 only imports the first 3, because the last line of subtitle #3 is phone number to be displayed in the movie.

Suggestion to CL: I think that PD9 is looking for a number in the first character of each line, before it cheeks’ the <blank line>(CR+LF). If PD9 first check for the blank line, there will be no problem.

WORKAROUND EDIT SUBTITLES THAT HAVE NUMBERS AT THE FIRST POSITION OF A LINE. Example:

00:00:00,0 --> 00:00:03,0
Hello, this is my phone number..
305-1234567

You must change it to

00:00:00,0 --> 00:00:03,0
Hello, this is my phone number..
(305)-1234567

Have a Nice day.
NICOLAS
 Filename
SRTSaved.srt
[Disk]
 Description
Saved with wordpad
 Filesize
615 bytes
 Downloaded:
528 time(s)
 Filename
SRTOriginal.srt
[Disk]
 Description
Original created with PD9
 Filesize
1 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
497 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2011 11:48

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Very interesting Nicholas.

I recently displayed a SRT file for a forum member - who wanted to check the layout and the same subject you have raised.

The same concerns were in PD7/8.

Thanks for the samples.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 03. 2011 12:17

NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd,

Just to add more information:

Quote: The reason is that PD9 use none conventional way to save the .SRT file:
- Adds the FFFE characters at the beginning of the file
- All next characters are separate by a null character 00
- They use only LF (0A) to separate each line and only use CR (0D) to separate the subtitles lines

I just figured out that PD uses UCS-2LE or UTF-16LE UNICODE text file format to export the SRT files. I dont know why CL complicate his life with that, since SRT files are plain text files and may cause troubles with other programs.

Cheers,
Nicolas

P.S. I already report the CES_IPCAgent.exe related problem to CL. Sorry. I was very upset whit that.
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Hi,

This is an example that CL TS, works:

Customer Support Response 2011/02/18 11:28
Dear Nicolas,

Thank you for writing back.

Regarding your concern with SRT issue, we'll fix this issue in the upcoming patch.

1. Exported .srt files doesn't use standard SRT format cause other software can't read

2. Failed to import subtitles that starts with numbers

But for issue italic script, currently PowerDirector 9 doesn't support html format. We'll send this issue to our product and development team for future version.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

http://www.CyberLink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp

Thanks and Regards,

Saba
CyberLink Technical Support

NicolasNY
[Post New]
The issue 2 (Failed to import subtitles that starts with numbers) was fixed. PERFECT, but the most important about the PD9 created SRT file is worst in PD v2702. In previous versions at least you use the exact UNICODE format (without the &h0D carrier return byte between each subtitle line), but now you guys have mix up the carrier return hexadecimal code &hOD on each line using the same Unicode format file. You can only use 0D0A hexadecimal code for.TXT files or .SRT files without the UNICODE heading FFFE. If you use FFFE you must stay with your old v2504 SRT format. If you want to add ODOA you must change your Unicode format to standard .TXT without the leading &H00 byte between each character.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 14. 2011 18:42