Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New AMD ATI Video Card Drivers Available version 11.1
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
AMD ATI Video card drivers have been updated to version 11.1

Get them here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx?src=CCC-CheckForDriverUpdates

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Philly Bill [Avatar]
Member Location: Philadelphia, PA Joined: Dec 28, 2010 20:26 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Can someone check this out and provide a little commentary? I'm just not knowledgeable enough to understand where this takes me. I have the ATI Radeon HD 5570. There are several options to download and the commentary on the site suggests that this is for gaming, which I don't do. Should we video editors install these drivers? Thanks. HP Pavilion Elite 410f. AMD Phenom II 1045T (six core), ATI Radeon HD 5570 Graphics Card w/1GB, 8GB memory, terabyte HD, generic multi optical, LG BD burner, both Lightscribe, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Formerly used Ulead/Corel VideoStudio.
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
You would select:
1. Desktop Graphics
2. Radeon HD Series
3. Choose 5xxx-series
4. Select Win7 64-bit.

Then download and install the Catalyst Software Suite.

Yes, almost all cards are capable of gaming of some sort. Yes, video editors should install these updated drivers. They provide much of the support to make your video card graphics hardware work with video editing software properly.

These drivers are updated every 30-45 days with improvements and bug fixes.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 30. 2011 11:03

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Over the past year it's been noted by ATI graphics users on this forum that sometimes removing the ATI catalyst package using the control panel of Windows before installing the new one seems to result in better results with rendering. The ATI Catalyst centre seems to be a beta release in 11.1, but not the drivers themselves. If anyone else finds rendering improvements to be the case with PD9 we'd all like to know. Win 10, i7
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Philly,

We may not have answered your question fully. If you go to the following web page for your card ATI now (release 11.1) provides only 2 options for your card. Select the first one for running PD9 acceleration. It has all the software you'll need. Other users have indicated that this works well. Win 10, i7
Philly Bill [Avatar]
Member Location: Philadelphia, PA Joined: Dec 28, 2010 20:26 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks HD. I'm sorry I should have responded that I did download the drivers and that the card seems to be working fine. My only confusion concerned whether the update was purely for gamers or was a general update that would benefit video editors. Thanks again.

Bill HP Pavilion Elite 410f. AMD Phenom II 1045T (six core), ATI Radeon HD 5570 Graphics Card w/1GB, 8GB memory, terabyte HD, generic multi optical, LG BD burner, both Lightscribe, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Formerly used Ulead/Corel VideoStudio.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I can't seem to find any useful information on updates for my Dell Studio laptop.

Is this driver update suitable for my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 560v?

Any assistance appreciated. Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Neil -

Does this page get you nowhere - or have you tried it before? http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

I read here http://superuser.com/questions/216248/driver-for-ati-mobility-radeon-hd-560v that the 4000 series drivers would work for the 560v

With the laptops I've updated, driver updates have only been attainable from the manufacturer... ASUS & Toshiba.

Cheers - Tony
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
HI Philly Bill,

Like many other members here, I download the updated Catalyst Suite every time a new one is released. I haven't noticed any differences (good or bad) in how the updates affect video production. But it's better to be safe and stay current.

There is a little link on the top of the AMD/ATI driver download page that says "Release Notes". When you click on it, you're presented with a multi-page document that explains what the latest Catalyst Suite of drivers is designed to repair and enhance. For instance, Catalyst version 11.1 contains fixes for Cyberlink PowerDVD, along with a host of other software programs. I love when a company fully explains what their software updates are designed to do! To add icing on the cake, this same document also lists known outstanding issues that are being worked on for the next Catalyst Driver Suite update.

REF: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst111ReleaseNotes.aspx

I read in the AMD forum that the program called "Overdrive" helps render video content faster. You'll see it on the main download page, but there's no link that describes what it does. I installed it out of curiosity, but couldn't adjust any of the settings, so I uninstalled. Maybe someone else in the forum can elaborate on what ATI Overdrive is supposed to do.

Hey! Am I going to get in trouble for talking about a non-PD9 subject in this forum? I think a member was pushed out of the Cyberlink Forum Family for discussing video drivers 2 weeks ago. Hopefully the rules have been relaxed somewhat. --fingers crossed..

-Allen in Chicago - (Pounded by Packers and Blizzards!)
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: G'day Neil -

Does this page get you nowhere - or have you tried it before? http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

I read here http://superuser.com/questions/216248/driver-for-ati-mobility-radeon-hd-560v that the 4000 series drivers would work for the 560v

With the laptops I've updated, driver updates have only been attainable from the manufacturer... ASUS & Toshiba.

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for the links

The Dell site was about as much use as a one legged man in a ...... :

However, with the other link you sent I ascertained that the Dell drivers were much the same as the HD4650. Robert put me on to these a few weeks ago - however they never installed properly UNTIL I un-installed the originals as per the AMD tutorials on http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx.

All drivers now up to date

If all else fails - read (or in this case watch) the instructions.

Thanks again Tony Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

All vodi
[Post New]
New from ATI : the current update 11.1 includes ALL software for the various features each graphics chip is able to handle. For instance, one need not download the separate Avivo option since release 11.1 recognizes if the graphics card is able to handle HD acceleration and loads it as required (if "custom" install is selected one can see the modules being loaded). It is also useful to remove the ATI catalyst package first and then installing the new one. In some cases it appears to make a difference in operating stability. Win 10, i7
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I've installed the latest version by following the advice listed, removing the old ATi software manually before installing the latest version.

In terms of stability, I haven't experienced the frequent crashes and hangs in PD9 that I did with the previous version of the ATi software.

That said, the quality of the rendered files using hardware acceleration have not been good. Due to the current SVRT bug, portions of my projects that don't need to be re-encoded currently are. When using hardware acceleration, the re-encoded portions are littered with artifacts. If I go into 'Preferences' and turn hardware acceleration off, the re-encoded portions have no artifacts and look as good as the original if I'm honest.

I'm not sure where the issue lies, with PD9 or the ATi software, but for me hardware acceleration is best avoided.

Cheers,

Andrew

EDIT

I feel I should mention that my comments about the poor rendering relate to a situation when you go straight from 'Edit' with raw files to 'Create Disc' and PD performs re-encoding during the authoring process. GPU encoding is considerably better when files are produced in the 'Produce' module using the same settings

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 06. 2011 14:50

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
All vodi
[Post New]
Interesting differences in PD9 behaviour with ATI graphics :

- On my PC release 2504 crashes to a point of nuisance, 2330a much less so, and this after updating ATI to release 11.1 (previous version had same effect).

- Testing the differences between hardware (ATI) acceleration turned off and on, I can concur with Andrew's results : the AVC video is not as detailed in visual quality. This can also be confirmed by checking the produced video details (select properties of the video file in the media room after the file is rendered) and one finds that the average bit rate is 4 - 6 Mbps LOWER with the ATI acceleration turned on. This test was using 1920x1080i rendering mode. (The hardware (ATI) acceleration effect can be verified using ATI's new AMD System Monitor software available on the same page where the ATI Catalyst application is found.)

It is unfortunate that the ATI encoding is not as high a bit rate, because in terms of rendering time I've clocked anywhere from 25-50 % improvement ! That is substantial on larger projects.

Important user note: even when the acceleration features are disabled in the Preferences tab, PD still insists on selecting it in the Production window. To have only CPU based rendering one has to deselecte this as well.

Anyone care to do similar tests ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 05. 2011 18:36

Win 10, i7
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: one finds that the average bit rate is 4 - 6 Mbps LOWER with the ATI acceleration turned on. This test was using 1920x1080i rendering mode. (The hardware (ATI) acceleration effect can be verified using ATI's new AMD System Monitor software available on the same page where the ATI Catalyst application is found.)

It is unfortunate that the ATI encoding is not as high a bit rate, because in terms of rendering time I've clocked anywhere from 25-50 % improvement ! That is substantial on larger projects.

I reported this a few months back. I noticed that if I rendered say a 1920x1080 16mbps clip using the 1920x1080 (24mbps) profile, the bitrate sometimes dropped to 8mbps instead of being around 24mbps when using hardware acceleration. Without using hardware acceleration, the bitrate was around 24mbps - as it should be.

The workaround was to create a custom profile in 'Produce' and select a constant bitrate (CBR) instead of the default which is variable bitrate.

This seems unique to ATi cards as my new NVIDIA does exactly as it's told in terms of this test.

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I downloaded it directly from the AMD site with no problems and installed it. Just got a new ATI card last week. Thought I would try one again. Been about 10 years since my last one. __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
QuikScholes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2010 04:11 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
I found that you also had to get the AMD Media Codec Package (previously Avivo) from the optional downloads tab to enable HA but I get better quality results be it a bit slower with HA off.
All vodi
[Post New]
Note the confirmed bug in PD9:

When the acceleration features are disabled in the Preferences tab, PD still insists on selecting it in the Production window. To have only CPU based rendering one has to de-select this as well.

With release 11.1 the Avivo is loaded automatically if the card is capable of it.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 23. 2011 22:12

Win 10, i7
QuikScholes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2010 04:11 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
I've installed/uninstalled the drivers twice and both times HA was greyed out until I installed the Avivo package at which point HA was available again. I'm not worried but if someone else finds HA greyed out that was the fix for me.