Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
power director 9 AVI importing
det [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2011 02:34 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I have a real problem with loading any avi files into power director 9.

I have the latest 2330 and updates given to me by cyberlink, but and error message appears when I try to inport any fo the avi file types.

I am running Vista 64

"an error occured while opening this media file in the media library. It may be because the file is broken, an unsupported format, protecrted video content, or for another reason. Try contacting your video provider for a different format."[/u]The avi files are none of the above reasons, its any that I try to import.[/b]Now, yes I could convert these files to another format, but surely, like other video editing software, it should be able to import any avi files.

I have the latest codecs installed, and they all play ok mn al media players.

Quite frankly, cyberlink are not much help with this problem.

I am open to suggestions from you guys if you know of the problem and how it has been solved.

Than ks in advance.
Det
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
are they DivX ? If so search for DivX and have a read....not good news. Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
Biedjee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2011 04:23 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have the exact same message with MP3 files. Haven't been able to find out why, but it must be because the files use compression and either the program or your computer cannot cope with the compression.
Funny thing is I can work without AVI files without issues. One possible solution that was suggested to me was to install
ffdshow on my PC. Another would be to convert your files to a different before using. (I found synchronising easier with WAV files anyway).

Good luck!
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Try downloading the latest patch v2504

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

Good luck
Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

det [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2011 02:34 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Have just done the download you suggested....but now it will not accept my activation code....
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
If you are using Power Director 64-bit and you are on a 64-bit operating system....you may have trouble importing an avi that was not created using a 64-bit video codec.

Just speaking from experience....I have the same trouble with earlier builds of PD9....I could not import avi files created with some Screen Capturing programs...they had to be converted into another file type before they could be imported.

As a work around...I was using Media Expressions Encoder Capture as a capture program and I downloaded and installed a 64-bit codec.

The codec was called "Lagarith Lossless Codec"....you can google it and find it pretty easily. This is a 64-bit codec and was easily imported into PD9.

With recent releases of PD9, I have been able to import avi files created with other codecs....that I wasn't able to before...so the new builds are addressing some of the avi video codecs that are out ther....there are probably hundreds!

The best thing for us to to tell us how you got them...How did they originate? If you could upload a short 5-10 second example, then we could see what the avi is made of...and try to import it on our systems to see if we have the trouble.

Just a footnote: Not all avi's are the same....every avi (and all other video types, mpg, m2ts, vob, etc. etc.) has it's own unique makeup of video and audio codecs. I know that Cyberlink says it can import avi's....but not ALL of them....some may be giving you some trouble.

Upload an example and it will shorten the time in providing a definitive solution. Just attach it to your next post.

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
All41
Newbie Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada Joined: Apr 25, 2011 00:54 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem... can anyone help?

I had issues with MP4 files with my previous version of PD, and I was advised to upgrade to PowerDirector 9. So I paid for the upgrade and now it does not import or recognize any of my AVI files!

When I try to open any project files containing AVI files it gives me this error message:

"an error occured while opening this media file in the media library. It may be because the file is broken, an unsupported format, protecrted video content, or for another reason. Try contacting your video provider for a different format."

This is a huge issue for me because I have over 10 hours of unfinished PowerDirector Project Files saved that I am working on, which were linked to AVI files (and now do not recognize them!). I cannot simply convert those file formats or I will lose all the editing I have done so far on the original project file.

I am very frustrated with this because I already paid for an upgraded version due to other format issues, and now this? I use PowerDirector for my business, I need these videos rendered for my online product and I cannot proceed until this is corrected.

Please help with this... I cannot start all over; it's been weeks of work editing thus far, and I can't afford to lose it b/c of some glitch. I'm hoping there is a patch, otherwise an upgrade that can handle all regular formats (as PD9 was promised to!).

RSVP

Josh We are made strong by what we overcome.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Download a copy of Media Info and check to see what codec the avi uses. There are a great many different variations of AVI. Most work in PD. Some don't. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
All41
Newbie Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada Joined: Apr 25, 2011 00:54 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
But it doesn't make sense... I'm having issues opening project files (referencing avi vids) that I created using Powerdirector 7 and then PD 8. The only reason I upgraded to PD9 was b/c of an MP4 glitch with PD8. Now the EXACT SAME FILES that I was using ALL ALONG with the other versions of Powerdirector no longer get recognized!

Support just sent me a new link to download it again, deleting my current version, but it still doesn't work.

Quite frankly, I'm frustrated... and a little pissed. For every problem the earlier versions had they keep suggesting I purchase a newer one which has new problems... and now all my work is in PD project files, un-produced, so I can't just switch editing programs now without losing all of my work!

Tech support by phone and email seems lost to me. Are they really techies, or just phone operators following a manual?

Any help is appreciated.

All41
[Post New]
I've also tried many different avi formats from vids I created using different programs, including the old Powerdirector 8... so don't tell me PD9 won't accept avi files produced by PD 8 .

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 30. 2011 22:42

We are made strong by what we overcome.
[Post New]
All41;
I understand how you might be frustrated..this program certainly has some challenges we are all contending with (and hoping for fixes).

I sent you a PM with suggestions on starting a new post. Please..help us to help you!!!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Tech support by phone and email seems lost to me. Are they really techies, or just phone operators following a manual?
I can't answer that, but two more posts and you still haven't answered my question, so I guess I won't be helping you either.
.. so don't tell me PD9 won't accept avi files produced by PD 8
If you already know the answer then why did you ask the question? AVI is a very broad category. We can't tell you why it doesn't work if you refuse to tell us what kind of AVI it is. I have found exactly one that is buggy, and it wasn't supported until late in version 8, so I'm not all that surprised. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Josh: Sorry to hear about your issues with PD9 and your .avi files not being recognized. You say that you have put in hours of editing that you can't afford to lose. Were I you, I would remove PD9 (for now), reinstall PD8, and PRODUCE your edited files in an appropriate format. Once that is done, then uninstall PD8 and reinstall PD9. Try loading the PD8-produced files into PD9. If the files are not recognized by PD9, then do as has been suggested, and try FormatFactory or commercial software to convert to a format that PD9 likes.

This way you won't lose your previous editing and you can continue editing your project in PD9.

As has been pointed out, not .avi files are alike, even though they are supposed to be, and PD9 is an entirely new beast from previous versions.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
All41
[Post New]
Phil, thank you for your suggestions... I was considering that option.

I have deleted the previous versions however, but I'm sure Tech support
will provide them.

As to the other replies, thank you so much for taking the time... I will attempt to
collect the info you requested, although I am not a particularly tech-savvy person myself.

Thanks again... I'll be back if I can't find a resolution.

Splodg [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2009 18:32 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,
I have been using PD9 for a few months now with no trouble opening divx, avi, xvid files.
I have just got a new laptop which would not open any of those files in PD9 so I downloaded the latest K-Lite codec pack, rebooted after installing and PD9 now opening all OK.
Enjoy.
Roger
Janjo [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: May 03, 2011 18:01 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for this tip to all the contributers. I couldn't import avi. files into PD9 32 bit at all without the program crashing. After downloading the K-Lite codec pack everything seems to be cured and is working well.
I am very grateful for your help.
VideoVillain [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 08, 2012 02:42 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am having this problem as well and it is very upsetting since I spent a lot of money for this program...

I tried using the above solution (Downloading and installing the latest K-Lite codec and then rebooting) but it did not fix anything for me.

I used MediaInfo and this is what I am trying to import:

General
Complete name :

C:\Documents\Bandicam\VideoSample.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 355 MiB
Duration : 5mn 26s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 9 131 Kbps
Writing application : BandiAviMuxer 1.0

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 1
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Codec ID : MPEG
Codec ID/Info : Chromatic MPEG 1 Video I

Frame
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 8 922 Kbps
Width : 1 440 pixels
Height : 900 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.600
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.229
Stream size : 347 MiB (98%)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 2
Codec ID : 50
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 7.47 MiB (2%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.72 video frame)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 08. 2012 02:49