Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sketchy Blu-Ray Playback
blinken007 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2011 18:48 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello forum, I'm using a Geforce 460 SE in conjunction with a new Sony 55hx800 and a LG WH10LS30K BluRay drive.

3D Bluray playback is awesome, it detects my TV, automatically switches to 24p mode and plays smooth as can be.

When I put in a regular BluRay it does not auto detect and change. Really unfortunate but I guess I can live with it. So I go to my nvidia control panel, switch my refresh rate to 24 hz, see my TV is in 24p mode and play a BluRay.

Now, however, the disc skips. It happens frequently, a few times every 30 seconds or so. It's very annoying and is rendering my BluRay collection unwatchable.

Do you have any idea why this is happening? Is there any way to have PD10 autodetect and play smoothly the way it does with my 3D BluRays?
blinken007 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2011 18:48 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for all the support guys.

Don't worry, I solved my problem. I switched to Arcsoft Totalmedia Theatre 5 and oh boy is it 10000x better than PDVD.

Why is this software so much more popular when it's so inferior?
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Power DVD works great on my system and has for years. You needed to provide more information to troubleshoot your problem effectively. Without information, it is difficult to offer solutions. If you are still interested here is the link that gives you the specific information needed.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page

So its hard to say what might be the issue on your unique PC setup. It might be a Blu-Ray player firmware that needs updating....Graphic Card driver update....Mainboard Bios update...Soundcard driver update....Power DVD updated to the most recent build....It might even depend on what Blu-Ray you are playing...Compatibility issue with other software that is resident on your system causing a problem....Sometimes certain anti-virus software can cause an issue...It could even be an Operating System problem.It's software and like most software their can be variables that prevent it from running. It does take some time to sort out what the issues might be. But if you have a player that works for you, then the problem is solved. If you use the "Search" tool in the forum and enter "skipping" and then select Power DVD, ther have been some various posts about this subject. And if you go to the Arcsoft website and visit their forum and search for skipping issues....well, you will find them as well.

What is interesting is that Arcsoft works for you, but there is another population of people that can't get that software to run on their PC, but they can get Power DVD to run....Lots of variables in the equation.

If it doesn't run on your unique PC setup, it doesn't really make the software inferior in my opinion. I have seen and read posts from both sides of the coin. 1000X better? That remains to be debated, but if Power DVD can't run on your system, then it isn't the software for you if you don't want to explore what the specific problem might be. My experience has been that with some effort, the problem can usually be identified. Not always....but that's one of life's mysteries.

Regards,

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 09. 2011 15:33

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Beachman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2011 09:31 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When I put in a regular BluRay it does not auto detect and change. Really unfortunate but I guess I can live with it. So I go to my nvidia control panel, switch my refresh rate to 24 hz, see my TV is in 24p mode and play a BluRay.

Now, however, the disc skips. It happens frequently, a few times every 30 seconds or so. It's very annoying and is rendering my BluRay collection unwatchable?

I have exactly the same problem as blinken007 describes.
My setup is:
Windows 7 x64 latest nvidia drivers
Asrock 330ht-bd
LG LED-TV with both 24hz and 23.97hz framerate support.

The BD-Video plays perfectly smooth for about 2 minutes and then frameskips for about 30 seconds when I set Refresh rate at 23.97hz (even more frequent at 24hz), this is really annoying!!!
When I watch pal-dvds at 50hz the video always plays perfectly smooth...

It is really annoying that I have to switch the refresh rate manually everytime I will watch a Bluray disc. Since I live in Europe and watching PAL-TV at 50hz most of the time. It is impossible to get stutterfree playback for blurays at 50hz (due to invalid multiplier).

And don't tell me to use ReClock, I have spent hours to get it to work with DTS sound and so on...
If I have payed €70 for a software to play BD-discs I expect it to work without open source third party programs...

Anyone that have a solution for this issue without spending hours using/configuring third party programs like reclock or powerstrip???

I appreciate all answers!
Beachman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2011 09:31 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I just want to share to others how I solved my bluray plaback stuttering!

Background:
I have experienced extreme stuttering on bluray playback with a True Cinema TV setup at 23.97xxx hz (the best way to get accurate 24p bluray frame rate without any 2:3 pulldown constant stuttering in 60hz). I am using Asrock ION 330 HT-BD Win7 x64 PowerDVD 10 Ultra.

First of all there is broblems with newer Nvidia drivers and video playback, read this thread:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=188990&st=0
After I reverted to the 258.96 Nvidia drivers I got rid of all stuttering IN SD-DVD playback and LiveTV-playback in Media Center. But I still got stuttering problems with BD-playback in powerDVD!

How I solved stuttering in PowerDVD with Reclock (http://forum.slysoft.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85):
The problem is that I want to use Real SPDIF DTS 5.1 sound. By default Reclock defaults to PCM 2 channel. But with a modern TV with a refresh rate close to video original frame rate it is possible to configure Reclock to accept bitstream(SPDIF) sound and still sync video playback with the gpu-clock.
In Reclock choose accept bitstream and uncheck disable media speed correction. If the refresh rate is close to original video fps, you should only get a few sound packet drops or repeats that is not noticeable.

This setup completely solved my BD-stuttering in PowerDVD !!!

One interesting thing is why there is no stuttering in media center with live TV or DVD video playback without reclock. Maybe Media Center or the MS codec has built in functionality equally to Reclock, this is just a guess?? Can anyone confirm this???

The fact is that PowerDVD can't make smooth True Cinema Video playback without Reclock! I hope the PowerDVD developers fix this issue in further releases. In my opinion a third party software (that requires scientific skills in configuration) shouldn't be required for a $100 retail product!!!

Tip for those who would go deep in vide fps vs. refresh rate should download reclock and read the ReadMe, its very interesting! Another good article from Intel about the same subject : http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/video-frame-display-synchronization/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 16. 2011 05:56