Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to make a split screen video?
langben [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2010 10:27 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I recently upgraded to v9 and now want to make a video with a split screen - but I am lost how to do this. I can find tutorials on the internet on how to do it using version 8 (using a pip track) - but nothing using version 9. Any1 able to help a newbie out?

Kind regards.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Use the technique for PD8.

Making adjustments for the difference in PD9 of a different track system.

You can put one video on track 1 and the split screen on track 2. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

langben [Avatar]
[Post New]
Can you please explain it a bit more in detail - I still can't figure it out What I am trying to do is to show a clip with various enhancements (sharpness, saturation and so on) in such a way that the right half of screen shows the right half of the clip with enhancements applied. The left side shows the left part of the clip unmodified.

Is this possible?

Kind regards.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi langben,

Totally possible...see screenshot as an example.

1. Place the clip on Track #1
2. Click on the Modify button above the timeline.
3. Click on the Hexagon shaped button(Add/Edit Masks) in the PIP designer Window.
4. Scroll down through the masks and near the bottom you will find the Left side mask and the right side mask.
5. select the right side mask and deselect the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" and expand the edges of the mask to the far left and far right sides of the screen to fill the preview window. Increase the transparency slider to 100%. See Screenshot example.
6. Click OK...PIP designer window closes.
7. Place the same clip on Track #2, directly under the clip in Track # 1.
8. Select the clip on Track #2 and select the Modify button.
8. Select the Mask button again and apply the other mask (left side mask) and uncheck "Maintain Aspect Ratio"...stretch mask to either side of the Preview screen.
9. Click OK.
10. Apply any of the adjustements you want to see on Track #2 and you will see the results in the Preview Screen...see Final Example Screen Shot.

See if this makes sense to you.

Kevin
[Thumb - Split Screen.PNG]
 Filename
Split Screen.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
862 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1974 time(s)
[Thumb - Mask 2.PNG]
 Filename
Mask 2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Left Side Mask
 Filesize
249 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1289 time(s)
[Thumb - Mask 1.PNG]
 Filename
Mask 1.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Right Side MAsk
 Filesize
263 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1256 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 22. 2010 14:17

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
langben [Avatar]
[Post New]
That did it! Thanks for helping me out.

Merry Christmas!
Mileyboy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 11, 2012 11:32 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hello...ive tried to create split screen using the above information but it wont work....it seems simple but each time it keeps showing normal screen...is there something im missing

Thanks
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello...ive tried to create split screen using the above information but it wont work....it seems simple but each time it keeps showing normal screen...is there something im missing

Thanks

Here is a simple method, does not use masks. It also is not full screen for the two images.

Select Clip mode in the preview, grab one of the white dots on the corner drag smaller. Do for each track.

Track one, clip mode drag one corner (white dot) make image about half screen.

Add the second video/image to track 2, clip mode, drag opposite corner to fill half screen. you now have two video/image on screen at the same time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 11. 2012 14:15

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 28, 2014 01:58 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
This works a treat on Power Director 12. Thanks
Aurimas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 26, 2014 12:03 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,
I am new here and looking how to split screen in to 3 parts horizontally. Any help would be appreciate.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Hi all,
I am new here and looking how to split screen in to 3 parts horizontally. Any help would be appreciate.

Split Screen Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhyEBFKKYs0

The above is for two videos, you can make the size of the mask to fit one third of the screen.

It may help to turn on the grid so you know where to place the three videos.

This is a old thread, you should have started your own topic.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 26. 2014 12:59

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Aurimas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 26, 2014 12:03 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Forgot to thank you, so it`s better late than never Was helpful and made what I wanted. Thanks