Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
what is "hardware acceleration"?
roller11 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: colorado, usa Joined: Dec 14, 2010 19:03 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I am unable to play Blu Ray 3D disc in 3D even though I meet the requirements under the "requirements" tab . There are two requirements: with or without 'hardware acceleration". My nvidia 9800GT GPU meets 'without' HA and doesn't meet 'with' HA. What is hardware acceleration? Is it a setting in PDVD10? Is it built into a piece of the hardware? How do I operate without harware acceleration?
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Hardware acceleration is a technology to use the GPU (the CPU of the Graphics Adaptor) to decode Video content.

For BD-3D a supported Adaptor is recommended because CPU may be not able to decode the stream in Software.

please post more information about your System:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page

this will help other users to jump in and help.

BR
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
roller11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hello,

Hardware acceleration is a technology to use the GPU (the CPU of the Graphics Adaptor) to decode Video content.

For BD-3D a supported Adaptor is recommended because CPU may be not able to decode the stream in Software.

please post more information about your System:

this will help other users to jump in and help.

BR
Michael
If I understand you, the 'with/without' HA is built into the GPU, it isn't anything you can control or switch on or off. Your GPU is either a without HA, or it's a with HA graphics card.
This leads to still another contradiction: The "System Requirements for Blu-ray 3D without Hardware Acceleration " section on the requirements page lists the nvidia 8600GT *or above* as a 'without hardware acceleration' so according to Cyberlink, all nvidia GPUs at or above 8600GT are without HA. But on the same page, the site declares all nvidia GPUs at or above GT 240 as 'with HA'. That means all GPUS at or above GT240 are, at the same time, both with and without HA. How do you resolve this direct contradiction?
system:
display: sony kdl-55hx800 HDTV
graphics cards: nvidia 9800GT, gtx580
CPU: Intel i7-920
app: PowerDVD mark II patched to 12/16/10
test apps: Avatar 3D, Polar Express 3D (real 3d, not red/cyan glasses), Cloudy Meatballs 3D, Christmas Carol 3D
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
please post some more information - it makes it more easy to understand your issue.
Please describe the issue you face in very detail
Please also describe in detail what 3D environment you use.

For HW accel for BD-3D playback
Many oldVGA do not support decode of H.264 MVC (which is the BD-3D codec) in HArdware so CPU must take over this part, which needs powerful CPU.

thanks
BR
Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 17. 2010 03:17

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
roller11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
please post some more information - it makes it more easy to understand your issue.
Please describe the issue you face in very detail
Please also describe in detail what 3D environment you use.

For HW accel for BD-3D playback
Many oldVGA do not support decode of H.264 MVC (which is the BD-3D codec) in HArdware so CPU must take over this part, which needs powerful CPU.

thanks
BR
Michael
My issue is that Blu Ray 3D discs play only in 2D, not play in 3D, using PowerDVD10 Mark II. I am meeting all requirements under the "requirements" section under "PowerDVD 10" info.

display: Sony KDL-55hx800 3D ready TV, hdmi 1.4 inputs
cable: HDMI 1.4
glasses: Sony active shutter glasses
GPU: nvidia 9800GT, hdmi 1.4 capable
CPU: Intel 17-920 2.66 Mhz
memory: 6GB
Blu Ray drive: LG GGC HL20 Blu Ray
Test disc: Polar Express Blu Ray 3D (real 3D, not fake red/blue glasses so-called 3D), avatar Blu Ray 3D, Christmas carol Blu Ray 3D

If you go to noted 'requirements' page and 'hardware support page' you will see I meet all requirements for Blu Ray 3D without hardware acceleration.
What other info do you want?
[Post New]
Hello,

I doubt that 9800GT is HDMI 1.4 compatible.

Br

Werde Facebook Fan
roller11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hello,

I doubt that 9800GT is HDMI 1.4 compatible.

Br
Michael
Whether it is or not, that isn't the issue. The issue is whether or not I meet the official requirements for Blu Ray 3D playback. Go to the 'requirements' tab under PDVD10. Scroll down to "System Requirements for Blu-ray 3D without Hardware Acceleration ". Under "Graphics Processor" any VGA card at or above 8600GT satisfies the requirement. The 9800GT is above the 8600GT, therefore Cyberlink is claiming the 9800GT will playback BluRay 3D. The 'without hardware acceleration" requirement is met because I'm using a CPU that is way above the minimum. Is the info on the Cyberlink site wrong?
[Post New]
Hi,

so you want to output to an HDMI 1.4 TV without an HDMI compatible Graphics Adaptor?

Br

Werde Facebook Fan
roller11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

so you want to output to an HDMI 1.4 TV without an HDMI compatible Graphics Adaptor?

Br
Michael
No, I want to know if the 8600GT, or above, supports Blu Ray 3D. Does it or doesn't it? What's your answer?
Katie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2011 03:23 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
whether the 9800GT is hdmi 1.4 compatible is Entirely the issue when you are using a sony television with sony glasses.

the 9800 (and 8600 for that matter) are Capable of blu ray and 3D if used with nvidia 3D vision and with a powerful enough cpu to support it. the reason you need nvidia is because those GPUs lack hdmi-out, so to get 3D your only option is by connecting a DVI Y-adapter from both DVI outputs on the card to a single DVI input on your display.

doing it that way means you have to use an nvidia emitter, nvidia glasses, etc.

However, if you already have a 3D tv with a built-in emitter and its own glasses, as well as a gtx 580...then why the hell are you so bent on using an underpowered card in the awkward setup described above?

580s Have HDMI output, Support HDMI 1.4, can Handle the task without needing support from your processor, and would need Nothing more than a 1.4 cable connected directly to your Already capable display.

in short, 8600s and 9800s SUPPORT 3d, but are basically restricted to use with a 120Hz computer monitor via a Y-split DVI cable and nvidia 3D vision. 580s are Vastly superior to those two cards, and are HDMI 1.4 compatible (which is what you need to use with non-nvidia 3D vision setups - AKA your Sony tv with Sony glasses).