Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
[solved] PowerDVD 7 Ultra suddenly won't start
ikantspelwurdz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 10, 2010 21:10 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I have PowerDVD 7 Ultra, bundled with an LG BD-ROM drive. A few days ago, it was working fine. Today, it will not start. If I double-click Powerdvd.exe, nothing happens. The task manager shows Powerdvd.exe for about one second, and then it disappears. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and nothing changed.

If I turn off all services and startup items and reboot, it doesn't work.

If I boot Windows in safe mode, it *does* start, but obviously I can't actually play DVDs in safe mode.

The only thing I can think of that might have changed anything in my system in the past few days is that I had ran the DirectX Web updater, but I don't know why that would cause PowerDVD to suddenly fail.

dxdiag is attached.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
54 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
330 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2010 11:20

[Post New]
ikantspelwurdz;
We have seen many issues related to the startup of Cyberlink programs fixed by driver updates for the video card.....I know...doesn't sound like this is a video issue, but it often works.

There is a link to a document discussing the reason the driver update is needed and instructions...found in the link of my signature.

Here is a link to the drivers for your card. Let us know if this works for you :

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-260.99-whql-driver.html
ikantspelwurdz [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just updated the drivers. It didn't make any difference.
[Post New]
OK...worth a try since you said you changed DirectX. Let's see if Michael or someone else can help!!
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
The fact that PowerDVD will start in safe mode, indicates that it could be in conflict with another program, have you installed any new programs in the past few days.

You could try restoring your computer to a date that you know PowerDVD last worked, the conflict could be caused by a windows update, or an anti-virus update, check and see what updates have been applied in the past few days.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
ikantspelwurdz [Avatar]
[Post New]
The earliest restore point I see is one that was generated several hours ago when I decided to uninstall PowerDVD. Restoring to that one probably won't help.

I have tried disabling all my startups and services. That would include Antivirus, and presumably any other programs that might cause a conflict. As far as I know, the only things I've installed since PowerDVD last worked were some old computer games, and I don't recall using Windows Update.
ikantspelwurdz [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling yet again. Now I'm getting an error "Error applying transforms" right after installation seems to finish.

Same issue.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

if posting any issue here - please help to provide as many information as possible:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page

if PDVD can not startup there are some common reasons:

1. outdated drivers
2. drivers not installed properly
3. Antivirus Solution false postitve without notice
4. Firewall blocking

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
ikantspelwurdz [Avatar]
[Post New]
1:
My drivers are up to date.

2:
I see no symptoms of improperly installed drivers. Other things work fine, and Device Manager shows no warnings.

3:
I've tried booting with zero startups, which means antivirus was disabled. It still didn't work.

4:
I don't use a software firewall.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: 1:
My drivers are up to date.

2:
I see no symptoms of improperly installed drivers. Other things work fine, and Device Manager shows no warnings.

kindly check Video driver on NVIDIA website - from DXDIAG the driver is not up to date
kindly check Audio driver - it is dated 2008 - need to visit Realtek for must updated drivers.

kindly provide all the information:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page

or please contact our technical support.
https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
ikantspelwurdz [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've updated both drivers since my first post.

PowerDVD - full Version, bundled with LG BD-ROM
PowerDVD SR Number - Can't check - it won't launch
Operating System - WinXP Pro SP3 x86
Admin account
LG Super Multi Blu, firmware is up to date with auto-update tool
24" LCD at 1920x1200
DVI-D with HDCP
Single monitor
Avira, but it fails without any antivirus too.

I have contacted tech support. They suggested I change my resolution to 1920x1080. I did, but it didn't help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2010 15:24

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]

Try cleaning your registry, run CCleaner or other registry cleaners, then run regedit and locate that key and delete it if found, then try installing again

Robert
Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
ikantspelwurdz [Avatar]
[Post New]
I ran CCleaner, then uninstalled PowerDVD, then searched my registry for keys matching that GUID and deleted them. Then reinstalled PowerDVD again.

No errors on install. Aside from that, no change. PowerDVD still won't start.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2010 16:59

ikantspelwurdz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Something I found while experimenting. It's probably useless, but just in case it isn't....
If I rename "CLHelper.exe" to something else, PowerDVD will launch. It will crash if I try to play anything with it, but I can see the GUI and the options menus and that stuff.

I can do the same with "CLDShowX.dll."

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2010 17:25

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, installation issue now resolved, that's good.

As you have stated previously, PowerDVD will start in safe mode, this still indicates a possible conflict with another program. You said that you had installed some old computer games, have you uninstalled them yet?

Running out of ideas now, it could still be your video card, in safe mode Windows does not use your video card but uses onboard graphics.

Start in Safe Mode
Right click My Computer>manage>device manager. What errors appear as a yellow exclamation mark or a red X

PDtoots
ikantspelwurdz [Avatar]
[Post New]
You said that you had installed some old computer games, have you uninstalled them yet?

Yes, and I don't see any stray registry keys matching their names.

Running out of ideas now, it could still be your video card, in safe mode Windows does not use your video card but uses onboard graphics.

I don't have onboard graphics. I did try uninstalling my graphics and sound drivers to see what would happen. I also tried booting in VGA mode. Neither made a difference.

Start in Safe Mode
Right click My Computer>manage>device manager. What errors appear as a yellow exclamation mark or a red X

Two yellow question mark instances of "Logitech Driver Interface," under "DriverInterface." These only appear if I enable "show hidden devices." These appear in normal mode as well as safe mode.

Disconnecting my Logitech keyboard and mouse made them go away. I tried plugging in a generic mouse and rebooting, but no luck.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2010 18:15

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
There is nothing more we can do to resolve your issue, please contact Technical Support

https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Tell them everything you have tried and maybe they will provide a link for the full version of PowerDVD7 Ultra to replace the OEM version you have, not saying that will correct your problem, but worth a try.

PDtoots
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just a thought, download the trial version of PowerDVD 10 and see if that will install and play OK, you will need to uninstall PowerDVD 7 though.

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2010 23:40

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit

PDtoots
ikantspelwurdz [Avatar]
[Post New]
This has gotten downright surreal. I've gotten so desperate to make this work that I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP.

It still doesn't work!!!!!

Another thing I found, using a tool called ProcMon, I found that CLHelper is looking for a file called CLHelper.DLL, but this file does not exist. After failing to find it, a whole bunch of process threads exit. I've also tried installing PowerDVD 7 Ultra to a Windows 7 laptop that has no BR drive. It runs fine on the laptop, and it does not look for or come with any CLHelper.DLL.

The PowerDVD 10 trial seems to work, but I'd much rather get 7 Ultra working.
ikantspelwurdz [Avatar]
[Post New]
I found the culprit!

Turns out, it's all Avira's fault. I have been using it and PowerDVD together for quite some time, but it's the only thing on my system that can auto-update without my knowledge.

I reformatted again, and this time, the first thing I installed was PowerDVD. It launched, but would not play DVDs. I then went through a grueling process of trial and error, installing stuff, then testing PowerDVD, then rebooting, then testing PowerDVD, and so on. First came the LAN drivers. Then SP3. Then more Windows Updates. Then more Windows Updates. Then more Windows Updates. Then NVIDIA drivers. After that and a reboot, PowerDVD would play DVDs. After installing Avira, PowerDVD refused to launch. Disabling Avira Guard did not help. Killing the processes did not help. Disabling the startup items did not help. But as soon as I uninstalled Avira, PowerDVD worked again right away.