Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 10 crashes starting Blu-ray disc playback (PowerDVD 9 works fine)
xmax [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2010 22:54 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

On my system PowerDVD 10 crashes whenever I attempt to start Blu-ray disc playback. There is no error message - PowerDVD 10 simply exits. DVD disc playback works fine.

I have also tried PowerDVD 9 on the same system and it plays Blu-ray discs without a problem. DXDiag output is attached and software versions are detailed below (all latest). The only difference I can see is that PDVD9 contains extra Hardware Support data in Infromation tab (attached).

Also this article below suggests this may be a codec issue however I do not see the same keys in my registry (reg export with relevant keys attached): http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codecs-external-players-55/no-dxva-cyberlink-codecs-win-7-a-80871/

I've wasted many hours on this - any help would be greatly appreciated. The reason I need PDVD10 working (other than the fact that I paid for it) is for Blu-ray 3D playback which PDVD9 does not support.

Thank you,
Max

Problem summary:
- PowerDVD 10 crashes when starting Blu-ray disc playback
- PowerDVD 10 plays back DVD discs with no problem
- PowerDVD 9 plays back Blu-ray discs with no problem

Software versions:
- PowerDVD 10 Ultra - Mark II - exe ver 10.0.1830.0
- PowerDVD 9 Ultra - Update 2528 - exe ver 9.0.2515.0
- ATI Catalyst 10.7

Filename
PDVD9_Info.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
429 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
495 time(s)
 Filename
Cyberlink.reg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1180 time(s)
JERRY [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 14, 2010 15:32 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I've been having similar problems. I found that if I play a DVD first, I can then play Blu-Rays.

If I try to play a Blu-ray after starting my PC, PowerDVD 10 MarkII closes. I then can't access the settings or play anything.

If I try to play a DVD after starting my PC, PowerDVD 10 MarkII plays the DVD fine. I can then play Blu-ray movies and access the settings.

If I turn off the automatic download setting and try to play a Blu-ray after starting my PC, PowerDVD pops up messeage stating there is a problem with the Display or Content and to download the checking tool from Cyberlink.
brandon87 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 14, 2010 02:32 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
im having the SAME DAMN problem with 9 and 10, just crashes, i have TWO darn graphix cards too.. 2x GTX 260 geforces

and all my drivers are up to date, what can this bee!!!!

someone help... i need blu-ray to work!!!
xmax [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2010 22:54 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Update: Cyberlink support suggested clearing out temporary files etc. but that still didn't help - not sure how it could since I tried a clean OS re-install. Finally gave up and switched to a different system which worked fine.... for now.
NatMac [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 20, 2010 23:49 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am currently having the exact same proplem with my PowerDVD 10 Ultra Mark II.

Has any one solved this as yet? $100 for a program that closes everytime I try to play a blu ray (which the the whole reason for my purchase) is very frustrating.

Any suggestions would be of great help!

ty vm.
Carlos [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2011 18:02 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem but it also crashes with DVDs. I thought it was the computer but I am able to play DVDs without crashes using Media Player Classic. With PowerDVD 10 I consistently crash four or five times in every movie.
I am also frustrated because PowerDVD 9 did not play the Blu Ray at all (crashed immediately). So I purchased the upgrade and that works better but still crashes. Now I see PowerDVD 11 but I am getting tired of shelling money when I could have bought a stand-alone blu-ray player by now.
John [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 29, 2012 21:49 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
DVD works fine, Blu-ray disc playback crashes every time. I used to get an error after it loaded 99% but the latest windows 7 update killed it (9-11-2012). HP did not supply disk set so I can't uninstall re-install as was suggested on another thread.
setter22 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 25, 2012 18:03 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Having the same issue here, pdvd 10 will play dvd's ok, but the minute i try to play a blu ray disk. The program simply closes. I had bought pdvd ver 9 ultra, (disk copy). This was then subsequently upgraded to ver 10. System is a new build with a fresh win 7 64 hp installation, all drivers etc are up to date.
John [Avatar]
[Post New]
FIXED

I called HP tech support (my box is a desktop and is still under warranty). We uninstalled it, reinstalled it from the "recovery manager" program (search for it and run it) and it still didn't work (had me worried at this point but I remembered it didn't work when I got it either and had to apply a patch). The tech sent me a link to a patch, I applied the patch and it now works just like new (after the patch when it was new-LOL). The entire process took about an hour! Glad I bought the extended warranty on this thing.

After all this crap I discovered that it uninstalled the entire suite of programs so I'll have to reinstall all the other cyberlink products separately (hope it doesn't wreck the blu-ray player again!).
John [Avatar]
[Post New]
setter22- if you have trouble you can do the same stuff as I did. I have all the steps fresh in my mind and I have the link to the "magic blu-ray patch" that got it going for me. My machine is the AMD 6 core h8-1050z with window 7 64 bit with cyber version 10 just like you.
setter22 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi John, any chance you could link this patch and let me know your steps to resolve this problem. Any help would be much appreciated.
John [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey, setter- I HAVE to finish my taxes this week or my CPA
AND the IRS are going to kill me (or send me to jail to die). But if you still have trouble after October 15th I'd be glad to help you...

setter22 [Avatar]
[Post New]
That would be great John, but yes, by all means take your time to sort out your taxes. Ill be fine waiting for a bit, really appreciate this. Thank you.
Martin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 18, 2012 07:01 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I also have the exact same problem. John, if you could post the steps to fix the problem, that would be great! Thanks.

[Post New]
I had that problem (under Windows 7 x64) and I managed to somehow fix it by setting the powerdvd icon to "Windows 7" compatibility mode.
Martin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 18, 2012 07:01 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I actually solved the problem by first updating windows 7 with the service pack and some other updates that were waiting, and then uninstalling, restarting computer and re installing powerdvd. The problem has gone away now.