Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"file broken"
Brendan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2007 07:51 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I created a movie in Power Director, saved it for the last time and shut down the computer. The next time I went to the program to produce and burn the movie, however, all I got was the error message "file broken". Needless to say this is not good. It would appear that many others may be having the same trouble with this error code in Power Director. Has anyone figured out a solution to this problem, or is my movie lost? B Berube
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I've read this posting, I've read the PM you sent me and I've read your other posting on this matter.

Please make sure you have stated the following to Technical Support.

1. The Version of PowerDirector (since I think you're referring to version 5).
2. the build number - look in Help/About.

I'm unclear from this posting as to the actions you carried out, what file you were opening and whether you have tried anything to correct the problem yourself?

I see no reference to the system you're operating under or the capabilities of your PC.

Please make sure you list the actions you have undertaken leading up to your problem.

A lot of problems can be self corrected IF a bit more logic and thought is applied to the editing process - sorry if this appears uncaring - prior to carrying out the task of editing. Sorting out clips and various media files is important - just as saving numerous pds files are during the editing task to ensure a "fall-back" is always available.

This "file-broken" problem is NOT widespread, contrary to your posting - you are i guess referring to a posting back in July 2006 and PD5

Dafydd

Brendan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2007 07:51 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd,

I guess my disappointment may have come through on my initial posting. The Cyberlink techs will have, by now, all the info you mention in your response, as I sent it before looking in the Forum. Based on posted customer satisfaction to Cyberlink's ability or willingness to help software owners with serious problems of this nature, I am not hopeful in this quarter. They have known about it since at least last summer, but I am unaware of a patch or other remedy.

My laptop is quite new (one year) with the Centrino 1.4 and 2gb (yes 2gb) of RAM running in XP Home. It is a brand new (with the new JVC camcorder) PD Express 5.00.2309 SEP) that I have. I understand and appreciate the advice you included with your reply. If, however, there is no solution forthcoming from the folks at Cyberlink to allow me to retrieve my lost movie then, for me at least, the 'fix' will be to remove this software from my computer and replace it with a program that will not turn 25 to 30 hours of work into digital cyber dust when the operator has done nothing to provoke either the software or the operating system. I know, I know, my disappointment is coming through again. Your suggestion, however, on saving a whole new file to a new location each time one backs up is a good one, although it shouldn't be necessary. If only...

Others in my project (a local film festival) have different movie software, but no problems even approaching Cyberlink's 'broken file' have cropped up. I'll be the only one I know of with no entry. I know, I know...

Brendan B Berube
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I've sent you a PM.
Vivian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2008 12:24 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem with a video that I created. I was able to take the 'filename.bak' file and rename it to 'filename.pds' and then open that and most of my work was still there. What I found out is that all would be good with my file until I added a long scrolling poem at the end and then 'file broken'. I may have to do without the poem in my video since that seems to keep breaking my file.