Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerProducer or PowerDirector?
Eric [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 19, 2007 01:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I am new to editing of my DV tapes from my camcorder to my PC. The hope is to categorize all our events and make a DVD of each.

I was using PowerProducer and am able to capture each of the DV tapes as a separate file.........but, what I want to do is grab bits of "each" tape and put together into a file. What tool will allow me to put together a DVD with pieces off of different DV tapes? I do not see any kind of option to open another file at the same time and copy/past as necessary, in either PowerProducer or PowerDirector.

Many thanks.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Eric,

It sounds like you want to to edit or extract clips of video from each of your DV tapes and then create one video with all of the clips. Is that right?

This is what PowerDirector does. You can import all our video from the DV tapes, and then use the trim function to extract the clips and place them in the timeline to create your final video.

PowerProducer is mainly a DVD authoring tool.

Hope that helped.

Dave
Eric [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 19, 2007 01:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you Daveed. That is exactly the intent.
BradyB
Senior Member Location: Springfield, Illinois USA Joined: Feb 24, 2007 07:38 Messages: 153 Offline
[Post New]
What exactly is a " DVD authoring tool"?

I have been confused about this ever since I started learning video editing.

I currently use PowerDirector; this package seems to create DVD's. Is creating a DVD the same as authoring?

Thanks for your input.

Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Brady,

What I meant by that is PowerDirector is mainly for editing and creating video. These videos can then be created as video files or burnt onto DVDs that can be played on a DVD player. However, the create DVD function (Create Disc) is not as robust as PowerProducer's...whose main function is to create DVDs.

You can create DVDs with PowerProducer that more resemble commercial DVDs. I.e. with multi-item menus (like when you find special features, language settings, etc. on a commercial DVD).

Hope that makes sense.
Shawn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 04, 2006 16:08 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Hey,
Maybe I can ask something here about DVD authoring.

If I want to produce a couple of videos in PowerDirector and then use some kind of DVD authoring tool, how should I produce the clips in PD5? Should I produce them to VOB files or MPeg or AVI or what?

I want to be able to produce and then when I take the produced files (produced in PD5) and then use a DVD authoring program to turn them into a DVD with cool Special Features or multiple videos, etc, but I don't want to lose quality when I do it.