Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Dolby Digital 5.1
Ben [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2010 11:21 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
.In the feature list for the program, it says that Power Director supports 5.1 authoring, which it does appear to do. But you can't seem to apply 5.1 mixing to any audio tracks in a project that are not natively encoded in 5.1

So is it possible to apply 5.1 mixing to audio tracks that arent native 5.1? If not, whats the point of having 5.1 support at all.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 09. 2010 11:36

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ben and welcome to the forum,

That is an excellent question! As you have found out you can select 5.1 audio when producing a DVD, BRD and AVCHD discs but there is no ability to apply any audio mixing to the separate audio tracks during pre-production that I am aware of. It has been requested in future releases of Power Director by other members here, but for now I don't think it is possible. You would think that it should be an available feature? I am not exactly sure why it is not included.

It might be possible to edit your audio in another audio editing software, but I have never tried it myself and I can't offer you any alternatives. Maybe someone else will chime in with a solution for you.

Regards,

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 09. 2010 13:15

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
JF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 17, 2010 22:36 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ben.

I don't proclaim to be an expert in audio mixing in any way, but if it helps, my video camera records in 2 channel Dolby Digital (ie stereo). When I output my movies on DVD via PD8, I output them in Dolby Digital 5.1 via the sound options in the Produce tab. I'm not sure how PD8 mixes my 2 channel into 5 channels plus sub; I guess it's got its own algorithm, and my DVDs actually play in 5.1 !!

Hope it helps.
Ben [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2010 11:21 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Well the kind of thing I'm talking about is Dolby Digital 5.1 Creator. I've used it before in Pinnacle 9. About the only good thing in that program.

It allows you to set the sound position for each audio track, and also create sound paths in 2D space to give the impression of a moving sound source.