Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Relocating produced file
Peter Buckles [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 13, 2014 08:13 Messages: 48 Offline
[Post New]
I've saved my produced files on my computer. Now I want to relocate them to an external hard drive. How do I do that so PD will be able to find them?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not clear on why you'd want to re-open your produced video clips in PD, but if it's to start a new project, you'd simply import the clip(s) from their current location and edit as usual.

If instead you're asking about reopening an existing project after you've moved the source files, you'll need to use the Browse tool that will appear when you reopen the project in PD and it can't find the clips in their original location. Once you've located them, be sure to save the project (or use Save As) so the clips' locations will be retained.

Finally, if you're asking how to always be able to open up projects without having to track down where the original clips have been moved (or if they've actually been deleted), you'd want to first use Pack Project Materials from PD's File menu and specify a folder where copies of all project materials will be stored.
Peter Buckles [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm not clear on why you'd want to re-open your produced video clips in PD, but if it's to start a new project, you'd simply import the clip(s) from their current location and edit as usual.

If instead you're asking about reopening an existing project after you've moved the source files, you'll need to use the Browse tool that will appear when you reopen the project in PD and it can't find the clips in their original location. Once you've located them, be sure to save the project (or use Save As) so the clips' locations will be retained.

Finally, if you're asking how to always be able to open up projects without having to track down where the original clips have been moved (or if they've actually been deleted), you'd want to first use Pack Project Materials from PD's File menu and specify a folder where copies of all project materials will be stored.

My computer harddrive crashed and I had to get a new computer. I had all my files on an external hard drive. Called Master videos, Packed Projects, and Produced Projects. I installed my PD16 Ultimate and used "open project" and wuold get different messages like, "Can't find file", file is a newer version, and some that could be opened had missing clips (blacked out clicps).

Some of the vidioes are fully intact and others are not. I guess the only thing I could do is to import, edit, and pack the project when ready to produce. Do think that this is in order?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 10. 2023 15:14

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My computer harddrive crashed and I had to get a new computer. I had all my files on an external hard drive. Called Master videos, Packed Projects, and Produced Projects. I installed my PD16 Ultimate and used "open project" and wuold get different messages like, "Can't find file", file is a newer version, and some that could be opened had missing clips (blacked out clicps).

Some of the vidioes are fully intact and others are not. I guess the only thing I could do is to import, edit, and pack the project when ready to produce. Do think that this is in order?

If you give the external drive the same drive letter as you had on your other computer, most pds file contents should load properly as long as the folder structure names match the old drive.

You probably are getting the "file is a newer version" as you probably never updated PD16 to latest version after your reinstall on new computer. Click PowerDirector in right hand corner and verify version is 3424, if not get the update from here, https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html?action=download

Jeff
Peter Buckles [Avatar]
[Post New]

My computer harddrive crashed and I had to get a new computer. I had all my files on an external hard drive. Called Master videos, Packed Projects, and Produced Projects. I installed my PD16 Ultimate and used "open project" and wuold get different messages like, "Can't find file", file is a newer version, and some that could be opened had missing clips (blacked out clicps).

I found all my produced videoes onmy external drive. I would like to upload a few to Youtube ,can't figure out how to get back to produse to upload the files. Would please explain?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I found all my produced videoes onmy external drive. I would like to upload a few to Youtube ,can't figure out how to get back to produse to upload the files. Would please explain?

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/119233.page#post_box_449079

Jeff