Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Nikon Z8 raw files
Rus54 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 08, 2019 14:15 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Does anyone know if the latest version of photodirector will load nikon z8 raw files? I'm on version 12 and it does not. Just wondering if it's worth updating or wait. I emailed customer service but they never responded.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Please share a sample photo here using the Attachments button below the forum's text box so it can be tested

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Rus54 -

The short answer is yes.

I grabbed some raw samples (.NEF) from Photography Life & they imported & displayed correctly in PhD14.

Oh - and those same files imported & displayed properly in PhD12. No problem... even PhD7! surprised

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 01. 2023 18:09

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I also downloaded samples from Photography Blog to compare JPG display to NEF.

Same happy results with PhD14, 12 & 7.

Cheers - Tony
Rus54 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote G'day Rus54 -

The short answer is yes.

I grabbed some raw samples (.NEF) from Photography Life & they imported & displayed correctly in PhD14.

Oh - and those same files imported & displayed properly in PhD12. No problem... even PhD7! surprised

Cheers - Tony

What camera were your photos taken with? I have photos taken with older nikon cameras that load correctly also. It's just the Z8 that has the issue. Photoshop had the same issue when the camera came out in may but apparently they've resolved it. Just wondering if PD had resolved it yet.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Please understand, I do not own a Nikon Z8. I downloaded sample files from the websites linked above.

I can definitely confirm that the .NEF & .JPG files I tested were taken on a Nikon Z8.

1. Both websites stated that.
  2. Metadata in PhD states that.
  3. Window properties states the same.
  4. EXIF tool says the camera model is Nikon Z8 too.

Just to clear this up, could you please attach one of your Z8 .NEF files for us to check, just as optodata suggested. We may be at crossed purposes.

Cheers - Tony
Rus54 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Please understand, I do not own a Nikon Z8. I downloaded sample files from the websites linked above.

I can definitely confirm that the .NEF & .JPG files I tested were taken on a Nikon Z8.

1. Both websites stated that.
  2. Metadata in PhD states that.
  3. Window properties states the same.
  4. EXIF tool says the camera model is Nikon Z8 too.

Just to clear this up, could you please attach one of your Z8 .NEF files for us to check, just as optodata suggested. We may be at crossed purposes.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
DSC_0121.NEF
[Disk]
 Description
sample z8 raw file
 Filesize
34448 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
102 time(s)
Rus54 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The problem seems to be my copy of pd13. I downloaded NXstudio from nikon and it loads everything properly. Thanks for your help in getting this sorted.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for sharing the new clip. I tried opening it in PhD 6, 7 and 365, and in each version the import preview works normally and the photo loads in low resolution but then stalls with an animated Loading... message

This is the PhD 6 screenshot:

I suggest you contact CL tech support and include a link to this forum discussion so they can download and test the same clip
Rus54 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for sharing the new clip. I tried opening it in PhD 6, 7 and 365, and in each version the import preview works normally and the photo loads in low resolution but then stalls with an animated Loading... message

This is the PhD 6 screenshot:

I suggest you contact CL tech support and include a link to this forum discussion so they can download and test the same clip

Yes, that's the same as what I get in PD13. I contacted customer support again and included the link to this thread. They actually responded to my first inquiry saying they forwarded it to their development team. I'll post again if they come up with a solution. Thanks!
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi again -

There's something quite different about your DSC_0121.NEF file and the other Z8 sample files I tested... at least, how different photo applications treat it.

Like optodata, whichever version of PhD I used, the .NEF file imported correctly but showed the constant "loading" progress wheel & didn't resolve itself.

I don't think it's anything to do with your copy of PhD13.

I also checked DSC_0121.NEF in Lighroom, Photoshop, Photo Studio X - they all displayed the photo correctly. In ON1 Photo RAW (a consistently robust & reliable app) your photo was displayed as shown in the attachment. EEK!

All the other sample files I tested at the same time displayed correctly in every application.

Without success, I tried to get some clues by comparing EXIF data from your photo & others I tested. Nothing stood out to me as being a contributing factor.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Z8 raw in ON1 Photo RAW.png]
 Filename
Z8 raw in ON1 Photo RAW.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
695 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
16 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 02. 2023 16:11