Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Search by geo tagged location
Tezza [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 17, 2023 20:41 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, new to Photo Director and would like to know if it is possible to search photos by geo tagged location in them. I can't seem to work out how to do that, and googling didn't help much.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
A better place to look would be in PhotoDirector's online Help system, which you can reach by hitting the F1 key.

Take a look at the section on the Metadata Tab and I don't see any reason why you can't directly add a geo tag in PhD when importing photos, or search by tag if the photos already have that info in their EXIF data.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tezza -

As optodata suggests, you can search by GPS data, but you need to add it as a tag. To my knowledge, you can't search for some terms displayed in the EXIF.

Examples:
If you search for "Nikon" PhD will find all photos either taken on a Nikon camera or tagged with "Nikon"
If you try to search with "33° 51' 21.53" S 151° 12' 24.00" E" (that's Sydney, Australia) PhD will find nothing even if you have hundreds of GPS enabled photos shot in Sydney.
BUT - if you search for "33" PhD will find all those Sydney photos.

One way to overcome that is to add the GPS data to tags when you import, assuming you're importing a folder of photos all shot in the one general location. See attached screenshot.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - PhD_Import Apply Tag.jpg]
 Filename
PhD_Import Apply Tag.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
415 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Tezza [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 17, 2023 20:41 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tony / Optodata,

Yeah ok that's a lot more manual than I hoped it would be. Picasa used to be able to do this fairly easily - create location collections out of the GPS data. I'd use Google Photos except all my files are on OneDrive and I really don't need another cloud storage subscription.

Seems none of the modern photo managers I've looked at so far do this well (ACDSee, Excire), if at all. Got close to 30,000 photos, with the majority of them with GPS data and adding place tags to them all manually is going to be tedious.
[Post New]
GeoSetter (free) will at least allow you to populate the location name info into IPTC from GPS coordinates with one click. Probably a way to batch run this (?). Amazon Photos supports grouping/selection by coordinates (free if you have Prime).