Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 18 & Bauhn DVD Maker DK8723
Ian26 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Joined: May 17, 2014 08:08 Messages: 188 Offline
[Post New]
I have a query. The background to it is that I have been asked by a family member to transfer some holiday videos from VHS to DVD. I have been told that they are the full size VHS tapes and not VHS-C.

Some time ago (I think it was in the last 2 years), I purchased the Bauhn DVD Maker DK8723 from Aldi and I have just installed the capture software, but not the software they have for the editing. That software is ArcSoft ShowBiz.

What I would like to know is PowerDirector 18 compatible with the capture software. I don't particularly want to use ArcSoft ShowBiz.

Any help woud br appreciated. as I don't want to learn how ShowBiz works as I am quite happy with PowerDirector which I have been using since version 9

Thanks,

Ian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 12. 2023 03:46

IanB
PowerDirector Ultimate 18.0.3801.0 (64bit)
Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1
4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 processor (6M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
Nividia GeForce 720 Version 372.54 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4GB x 2)
2 x 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard D
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Assuming your software captures files in MPEG2 you can simply import them into Power Director. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Ian26 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Joined: May 17, 2014 08:08 Messages: 188 Offline
[Post New]
OK, I have connected up a Panasonic NV-HD650MK2 to my PC and PowerDirector18. I have about 12 videos to convert from VHS to DVD of my daughter-in law's parents world travels over the years. Her father passed away in 2021 and her mother is moving interstate in about 4 or 5 months time, and wants to downsize the collection to DVDs.

This reply is in addtion to my original post on the same matter. At the moment I am partly working "blind" in regards to controls on the VCR due to not having the remote that works the unit. (My daughter-in-law and her mother have supplied the VCR but no remote. which I hope to have in a day or so). I have the VCR connected to the PC through the Bauhn DVD Maker DK8723. whch came with all the software required includingArcSoft ShowBiz - WHICH I AM NOT USING.

I have opened PD18 -> Capture -> Capture from an external or optical device, but nothing is happening with the capture. The VCR appears to be working OK as the counter is working. Am I missing something here?

Any help would be much appreciated. In the meantime I will search through manual to see what I can find.

Ian. IanB
Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Perhaps I didn't make clear what I meant. I was suggesting you use the Showbiz capture utility only to get the footage into your PC then import the files into Power Director. If they're MPEG2, which they likely will be, you should have no difficulty doing that.

I've done much the same in the past using a Climax Digital VCAP 302 USB capture device and it worked fine.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 31. 2023 04:55

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have opened PD18 -> Capture -> Capture from an external or optical device, but nothing is happening with the capture. The VCR appears to be working OK as the counter is working. Am I missing something here?

Any help would be much appreciated. In the meantime I will search through manual to see what I can find.

It does sound like the device drivers were never installed. The capture from a TV signal button would be lit up if it was.

See this link for further help once the device driver is working: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/97284.page .
Ian26 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi there,

This is not directly related to the subject except that I am using Bauhn DVD Maker to a project I am working on. I tried to create a new topic but the code wasn't showing, just an icon that wasn't doing anything and consequently I couldn't publish the topic.

I have cut & pasted the topic below. I was trying to ask for help with a sound problem. Sorry if I am "hijacking" my post of the above. Any way here goes:

Hoping someone can help me. I Have been converting old VCR holidat tapes to DVD for a family member . There are 11 tapes altogether, 10 have been completed without any problems. Of those tapes, running times vary from 18 minutes to about 75 minutes. The 11th conversion is causing me grief with the soundtracks. The full tape was about 97 minutes. editing has cut it down to 93 mins' FWIW the tape - as with all the others - can be classed as one clip. With editing splitting the scenes and deleting irellavent sections, the conversion is then made up of separate clips.

Now the problem, I am just over 1/3 of the way through - about 32 minutes - and the problem I am having is the the sound is all garbled. There appears to 2 or 3 sound clips sitting on "top of each other", each lasting about 2 - 3 seconds then repeating themselves, then 2 or 3more clips following, doing the same thing., and so on & so on.

This particular conversion is being re-edited as I missed 2 chapter settings in the original. I transferred the first version to DVD. That version plays OK on Power DVD as there is no problem with the sound. This has got me baffled. I was thinking I'll complete the edit and do a test burn and see if it shows up on the DVD.

In the meantime I hope somebody can explain what is happening.

Ian IanB
Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Now the problem, I am just over 1/3 of the way through - about 32 minutes - and the problem I am having is the the sound is all garbled. There appears to 2 or 3 sound clips sitting on "top of each other", each lasting about 2 - 3 seconds then repeating themselves, then 2 or 3more clips following, doing the same thing., and so on & so on.

I've seen similar issues as noted with shadow files. You might make sure they are unselected in pref > General and also manually delete temporary files and see if overplay audio still exists.

Jeff
Ian26 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I've seen similar issues as noted with shadow files. You might make sure they are unselected in pref > General and also manually delete temporary files and see if overplay audio still exists.

Jeff

Didn't help! cry

Ian IanB
Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1