Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sharpness feature doesn't work anymore in Photodirector!
FDskate [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2018 13:21 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I have used this once a week for several years, and now it just doen't work anymore. It's pretty much a feature in itself, that when Cyberlink posts an update - it messes up something that has previously been working. Beware of updates...

https://youtu.be/eBRYAwWHoa4
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It works as expected for me, and you can easily see the difference when I undo it: https://youtu.be/EvyPiSWFmxw

Are you using version 14.6.1730.0?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 21. 2023 13:26

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi FDskate -

Like optodata, mine's working fine (update or no update). On one PC, I hadn't updated PhD to the latest (14.6.1730.0) build so I tested your scenario both before & after updating.

Like you, I used a snapshot taken from a video. These have been cropped to highlight the differences.

Not sure what's happening at your end, but it's definitely not consistent with what I've observed.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
FDskate [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2018 13:21 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi FDskate -

Like optodata, mine's working fine (update or no update). On one PC, I hadn't updated PhD to the latest (14.6.1730.0) build so I tested your scenario both before & after updating.

Like you, I used a snapshot taken from a video. These have been cropped to highlight the differences.

Not sure what's happening at your end, but it's definitely not consistent with what I've observed.

Cheers - Tony

I am not sure why it isn't working anymore. I just know that I haven't changed anything except updated the software. I have done hundreds of layer adjustments like this before without this issue. I guess anything could be the culprit, and it's not the first time I have gotten random glitches like this, with Cyberlink. Don't get me wrong, I quite like the programs, but they are not always working 100%. At least not for me.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You might want to submit a report to CL tech support to see if they can figure out what's going on. You can reach them here.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I know this is a stab in the dark.

Even though I tried to replicate your scenario by using a snapshot from a video, I noticed in your screen capture you were using other layers (transparent background & title)... which I didn't do in my testing. I've since added the same layers, but adjusting sharpness still works as expected.

Have you tried adjusting sharpness on a single photo with no title/background layers?
Is there anything you did to any layer that may have interfered with the sahrpening adjustment?

Like I said - a stab in the dark.

Cheers - Tony
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Sharpness was not meant to fix motion blur in the OP post. It is very hard to fix with any software. Look at the photoshop tuts on this. It doesn't work at all in the AI softwares that I have tested.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 23. 2023 21:59

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi FDskate -

tomasc may be onto something there...

If you're still interested in trying to isolate the problem, you could attach that snapshot of Freya and we can check it out in PhD on our PCs.

Also - I'm attaching the video snapshot I used in the examples above. You could use it to check sharpening in your PhD365.

Worth a shot, I reckon. Apples & apples.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - SnapShot.png]
 Filename
SnapShot.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2964 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The sharpen tools work in layers. After applying 100% , one could apply another 100% and get oversharpened images that don’t look right with the artifacts with motion blurred images. The image should be sharpened before going into layers.

It is much better to use the deblur tool for motion blurred objects in images like in this Cyberlink PhD tutorial: https://youtu.be/rjzV-3QYOdA .