Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error Reading Setup Initialization File!
Marty [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2007 16:32 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have been running a retail version of PowerDVD 6 Deluxe on my Dell XPS Gen 5 for roughly two years now, without any problems. I recently purchased a new Plextor DVD-RW drive with a SATA interface and installed it with no problems. Movies play just fine from the new drive using PowerDVD 6. I also still have a Plextor DVD-RW drive in my system which has a standard IDE interface as well. Well last week I purchased an upgrade to PowerDVD 7 Deluxe from the CyberLink web site. I downloaded the upgrade installation file from the link provided to me, but every time I try to run it I receive the following error message "Error Reading Setup Initialization File." Please see attached screen capture image. The installation process starts, but as soon as I accept the license agreement and click NEXT, the error pops up and the installation aborts. I have tried downloaded the file again and again but still no joy! My PowerDVD 6 still works just fine, but now I wonder if I have just wasted my money. Do I ask my credit card company to reverse the charges? Does anyone know of a solution to this installation problem? I will wait a few days before contacting my credit card company, so please forward any suggestions you may have. Thank you, in advance, for any help or advice you may provide.
 Filename
PowerDVD7_Error.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Error Message
 Filesize
63 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
70 time(s)
Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
I got the same problem.
CyberLink support gave me some suggestion.
U can try it.
1. Remove PowerDVD from "add or remove programs.
2. If U can't remove the PowerDVD, use the PowerDVD 6 install program to remove it.
When remove process is done, Click "No" button to stop the PowerDVD6 installation process.
3. Delete a installation folder.
C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{6811xxx-xxx}
4. Reboot your PC then install PowerDVD6
5. Install PowerDVD7 Deluxe upgrade version.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 01. 2007 23:06

Marty [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ah-HA! Thank you for the suggestion. First of all, CyberLink sent me a different link to download PowerDVD 7 Deluxe, but I got the same error (just in a different part of the installation). I then came to the conclusion that the problem was with the uninstallation of my current PowerDVD 6 Deluxe. I tried to uninstall through add/remove programs, and I received the same error. I followed Daisuke's advice (well sort of), and reinstalled PowerDVD 6 from the CD-ROM. After the installation completed, I was then able to successfully install PowerDVD 7 Deluxe, which completed the uninstallation of version 6 without any problems. Now everything is up and running very nicely. Many thanks to CyberLink tech support, and to Daisuke for the suggestions. Now I can stop fretting about this issue and enjoy the new updated program. If I could only get the Onyx skin to download. Has anyone else had a problem where telling the skin to download just brings up a progress bar that doesn't even move? I let it sit there, trying to download, yesterday for over 15 minutes, but nothing happened. Hmm...maybe I should stop being greedy and just be happy that PowerDVD 7 is finally loaded and working properly.
Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
The PowerDVD7 skin download is a bug. You can ask for CL support help.
They will provide PowerDVD7 skins to you.
Marty [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the reply. I will contact CL support about this issue. It seems a bit silly though. If it is a known bug then it sure seems like CL should provide some sort of patch, or at least a published link for all PowerDVD 7 users to use when trying to get skins for their player. Problems in the quality control department? =o(