Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Movie Won't Play
ANTHONY [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 14, 2010 21:30 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I've been trying to watch the movie, "Slumdog Millionaire" with PowerDVD 9 Ultra on my LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray drive connected to my computer. I've been able to watch other Blu-Ray movies with no problem, but for some reason, this movie just won't play. This is about the fourth copy of the movie I've tried, but to no avail. What is it with this movie that it won't play on my equipment?
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Could you post a Diagnostic file so that others can look at it?

You didn't mention any specifics about your PC or what particular operating system you are running. What is the type (Nvidia? Radeon?) and Version and date of your graphic card driver? Do you have the latest firmware installed for you LG BR player? Lots of questions...very little information provided. Not intending to be rude....but that movie plays fine on my system. In order to solve a problem, specific information needs to be provided about your system. Most people blame Power DVD as the culprit.....I have never had a problem playing any Blue Ray movie on my system. Most likely it is something you need to change or add to your system to make the movie playable. I have seen similar problems with Stand a lone Blue Ray disc players that need firmware updates. This is no different.

Select > Run
Type in > Dxdiag
Click > OK
Select > save the information
save as ****DxDiag.txt
Replace the **** with your name so the file can be identified easily.
Example: johnsmithDxDiag.txt
Attach it to your next post .

Just trying to help you see a GREAT MOVIE!!

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 17. 2010 20:39

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
ANTHONY [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Could you post a Diagnostic file so that others can look at it?

You didn't mention any specifics about your PC or what particular operating system you are running. What is the type (Nvidia? Radeon?) and Version and date of your graphic card driver? Do you have the latest firmware installed for you LG BR player? Lots of questions...very little information provided. Not intending to be rude....but that movie plays fine on my system. In order to solve a problem, specific information needs to be provided about your system. Most people blame Power DVD as the culprit.....I have never had a problem playing any Blue Ray movie on my system. Most likely it is something you need to change or add to your system to make the movie playable. I have seen similar problems with Stand a lone Blue Ray disc players that need firmware updates. This is no different.

Select > Run
Type in > Dxdiag
Click > OK
save as ****DxDiag.txt

Kevin

I've attached the text file that I got by running the diagnostic. Maybe you can make some sense of it.
 Filename
AnthonyDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
436 time(s)
ANTHONY [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Could you post a Diagnostic file so that others can look at it?

Select > Run
Type in > Dxdiag
Click > OK
save as ****DxDiag.txt

Kevin

And yes, I have the latest firmware for this drive. Can't figure out why this movie doesn't play, but others do just fine.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Anthony,

Thankyou for getting the info. If it were me I would first update my NVIDEA GTS 250 driver.

Currently yours is:
Driver Date/Size: 1/12/2010 13:03:34, 11862120 bytes

The latest currently is:
GeForce/ION Driver Release 197

Version: 197.45 WHQL
Release Date: 2010.04.13
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit
Language: English (U.S.)
File Size: 117 MB

Here is the link to the driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_197.45_whql.html

Please verify I gave you the correct link for your graphic card, but I believe this is correct.

Just so you know....there is not usually a single answer to cure a problem...wouldn't that be nice!! Usually it is a step by step process to cure an issue. I appreciate your patience.

Kevin
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Anthony,

Another standard question....If I don't ask I won't know...right?

What build of Power DVD 9 Ultra are you using? The latest build is build 2528.

Here is the link to the update if you need it:
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdvd/patches_en_US.html

It is standard practice to have the latest update as it might, no promises,correct a problem. At least you will have eliminated that possibility.

Regards,

Kevin

P.S. if we can't get this working I can tell you all about Slumdog Millionaire...At the very end of the movie...this is what happens....just kidding!! We will work this out somehow!

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi again Anthony,

I am diligent in finding a solution for you. I did a search in the forums "slumdog", here are the results, I didn't have time to read them as of yet....a solution may be in one of these posts:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=search&action=search&clean=1&search_keywords=slumdog&search_terms=all&search_forum=&sort_by=time&sort_dir=DESC&search_cat=

Time for me to retire for the evening, but I will check to see what your progress is tomorrow. Good Luck!

Kevin
ANTHONY [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi again Anthony,

I am diligent in finding a solution for you. I did a search in the forums "slumdog", here are the results, I didn't have time to read them as of yet....a solution may be in one of these posts:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=search&action=search&clean=1&search_keywords=slumdog&search_terms=all&search_forum=&sort_by=time&sort_dir=DESC&search_cat=

Time for me to retire for the evening, but I will check to see what your progress is tomorrow. Good Luck!

Kevin

I updated the driver, but still could not get it to work. I also tried AnyDVD, which I found through one of the posts you directed me to. This program is supposed to remove protections on the disk which prevent one from veiwing certain movies, but this didn't help either.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]

ANTHONY [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

That is what I'm using.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
If all else fails Anthony....which so far everything has so far. You could submit a support question to technical support, at least get that ball rolling. It's not as fast....it may take a few days....you might not like the answers, as it has been reported that they are of the canned variety. But it is a thought.

Maybe someone else may chime in with some ideas to help you. I have reached the extent of my knowledge as to what to do next. It must be frustrating, I can only imagine. It just doesn't make sense to me....it seems like you have everything updated....current....just like my system....but for some reason you can't play the movie that I can. I wish I could have the magic answer to help.

See what Technical support says, and if you don't mind, could you publish their response in this thread? It would be interesting to see what they guide you to do to fix this problem. I can assure you...you are not the only one experiencing this issue, so others may benefit from the information.

Regards,

Kevin
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
One other thought...And it might appear to be a silly question.

Have you verified that the particular disc plays on another system or on a Stand-alone Blue Ray player? Is it at all possible that it is the disc. Although you made a reference to this being the fourth copy you have tried.

Another basic question that I should have asked at the very start. When you say it won't play...What exactly happens when you load the disc? Do you see the progress bar as the disc starts to load? Does it stop part way through?

Another thought....Why don't you install the trial version of Power DVD 10 to see if that works. Its free and I believe it is a 30 day trial. As far as I know the trial version allows for Blue Ray playback...but I could be mistaken. Worth a shot!

Kevin
ANTHONY [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: One other thought...And it might appear to be a silly question.

Have you verified that the particular disc plays on another system or on a Stand-alone Blue Ray player? Is it at all possible that it is the disc. Although you made a reference to this being the fourth copy you have tried.

Another basic question that I should have asked at the very start. When you say it won't play...What exactly happens when you load the disc? Do you see the progress bar as the disc starts to load? Does it stop part way through?

Another thought....Why don't you install the trial version of Power DVD 10 to see if that works. Its free and I believe it is a 30 day trial. As far as I know the trial version allows for Blue Ray playback...but I could be mistaken. Worth a shot!

Kevin

I have no other system to check it on, but I've tried other copies of the disk with the same result. My system recognizes the disk and shows the disk loading, but then nothing. One change I did notice after I updated my video card driver was that I saw a couple previews, but I don't think those are on the disk. I think those are coming from the internet. I also saw the legal warning, but then nothing. It just sat there with a black screen, and I couldn't access any menus. There was a slight scratch on the disk, but I have been told that BRs are not as susceptible to misplaying because of damage as are DVDs, but I'm going to try another one just in case.
ANTHONY [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've got to go for a while, but I'll check back in later this evening when I've gotten another copy and tried it.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Just confirming again that you have this firmware version for your player.

http://newchocolate.lge.com/ca_en/support/product/support-product-profile.jsp?customerModelCode=CH08LS10&matchedModelCode=2300000071&searchEngineModelCode=CH08LS10&initialTab=warranty&targetPage=support-product-profile

Kevin
ANTHONY [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yes, that's the firmware I have. I just tried another copy of the movie, with the same result. There's something wrong with this movie, which for some reason, I just can't play. I just tried a different BR movie, and it works fine. Go figure.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Anthony,

My only other suggestion of:
"Try the Power DVD 10 trial to see if that makes a difference."

And of course..."submitting a question to Cyberlink technical support."

This copyright protection (which seems what you are experiencing) is such a pain!!

Sorry that you weren't able to fix this issue.

Kevin
ANTHONY [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Anthony,

My only other suggestion of:
"Try the Power DVD 10 trial to see if that makes a difference."

And of course..."submitting a question to Cyberlink technical support."

This copyright protection (which seems what you are experiencing) is such a pain!!

Sorry that you weren't able to fix this issue.

Kevin

I'll try it, just to see if it works, but I shouldn't have to buy it just after paying for 9 Ultra a couple months ago. Is that their racket, to keep upgrading and charging you when their software doesn't play the movies it should? I should have free upgrades for at least a year. Thanks for the help.
BHAVIK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 18, 2010 09:34 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Last week i downloaded the trail version for powerdvd 10 ultra, i managed to play the blu-rays i bought, and all of a sudden i cant now for a few days, EVEN the same blu-rays that where working.
PowerDVD kept asking for an update and wouldn't play the Blu-Ray. After I applied the update the software kept telling it needed to update but then would say no update was available. The problem is it still wasn't playing Blu-Rays. My solution to this was to reinstall the OS but this time I used Windows 7 64bit. I then installed Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 trial.However it's still not playing Blu-Rays. I get an error that says "You must update CyberLink PowerDVD now to continue the playback of this content" Then a Yes and No box. If I click Yes, then it says "Player application update" - "Update Complete". If I click no, nothing happens. It just continues this loop over and over.
I eventually came to a weird conclusion that i may have to buy it because i know that trails can be locked in many ways remotely...so i did spent a fortune...got it all installed no problems, STILL the same problem.

Any ideas?

im starting to doubt my new blu-ray player now :S
this is so annoying it was working FINE a few days ago!

Can someone explain what's happening here? Please
Rob Z [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 17, 2010 20:41 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same problem. However, Slumdog Millionaire works with PowerDVD Ultra 8.Therefore, it seems that the problem is with PowerDVD Ultra 10.