Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is it just me with HD
JMK2011 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 19, 2009 16:35 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
I been checking out alot of video footage with HD cams and seen that MABEY HD is for just standard straight on shooting or tripod shooting. I see alot of panning with a HD cam and looks like alot of video stutter (not from shaky hands with stabilizing)). Is this what HD video looks like when panning around ?? Even looking at some video from a cannon XL H1 I seen alot of stuttering when panning from left to right or following a subject.

Thanks in advance...
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jay,

It depends on what mode you are shooting in. If you were shooting in say 50/60i you shouldn't see any stuttering. However in 24/25p you may do.

This is from wikipedia and discusses 50i compared to 25p:

This framerate is derived from the PAL television standard of 50i (or 50 interlaced fields per second). While 25p captures only half the motion that normal 50i PAL registers, it yields a higher vertical resolution on moving subjects.

I shoot in 1920x1080 25p as opposed to 50i because I find the picture quality better in low light and prefer the movie look it yields when used with Cine mode.

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
JMK2011 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick reply Andrew.

So, If I recored in a lower mode (kids playing) and also have some higer mode vids (say close ups of a butterfly on a flower) on same time line I will need to render seperately to get the proper quality from each mode?

Or is it how the final vid is rendered to get better quanlity video?

I guess I'll just have to break down and purchase a HD cam and do ALOT of testing to see what gets me the best quality that I'm looking to achive.

I cant say enough how much this forum has helped me with getting ready for the move up to HD but I like to ask Q's before any electronic move.

Thanks again...

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
It all depends on the settings. I have a Canon HG20 which I bought in November 2008. In 60i I do not see any stuttering, but like Andrew indicated when I select 30p I do get stuttering with camera pans. 60i is more like what you see when you watch the news on TV.

I recorded my wedding using 60i and I am very happy. I have a friend who had their wedding recorded with a different camera and their DVD showed stuttering when ever the camera panned. I don't know for sure what mode the camera was set for, but it resembled my camera set for progressive mode. Personally, I didn't like it but it's all a matter of taste. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
JMK2011 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks James and Adrew:

I am looking at the Cannon HF S100 or S10. I do alot of video with my old trusty Panasonic PV-GS59 mini dv but been really looking into HD. I remember James stated even though I dont have the Blue ray that I can at leats get a slightly better quality DVD produced with a HD cam in AVCHD... I think...

Anyone know if I can simply do an upgrade from PD8 Deluxe to PD8 Ultra?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2010 19:49

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I film racing and it works good, BUT I had to change the default settings. Straight out of the box it did, in fact, look horrible. It also depends on how much it is zoomed in. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
George1938
Senior Member Location: Northern & Central New York, Summer & Orlando, FL winter Joined: Jun 20, 2009 04:58 Messages: 162 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jay,

I have had a Canon HG21 since December of 08 and do a lot of panning. The three choices are 60i Standard, PF30 and PF24 and have not observed stuttering. However per the manual PF24 (which I use) & PF30 are converted and recorded on the hard drive or memory card as 60i. (Same for HF-S21)

So I guess I am confused as to what the frame rate really is i or p regardless of the setting.

With my new Vixia HF S21 it also has 24F which is true progressive and is not converted. This is what I always use and so far I have not observed any stuttering.

You ave tweaked my curiosity and I am going to check further, however I am going to be away until Thursday and will let you know after I run some tests upon returning

I also use the MXP mode and burn to Blu-ray as I want the highest quality possible and of course NTSC and I think HD is the only way to go.
Cheers,

George Dell Studio XPS 9100
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz
64 Bit Operating Sytem
12 GB DDR3 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1248 MB Memory

Canon HF S21 & Canon HG21
George1938
Senior Member Location: Northern & Central New York, Summer & Orlando, FL winter Joined: Jun 20, 2009 04:58 Messages: 162 Offline
[Post New]
Jay,

Here is the info from a file from my HF S21 showiing that it is indeed progressive. Whereas all from the HG21 were converted to interlaced as mentioned in the manual.

So when I return Thursday I will be running some tests to compare interlaced with progressive to see if indeed there is any difference.

George

PS: This info can be obtained by downloading MediaInfo who Dafydd told me about. http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

General
ID : 0
Complete name : G:\Canon_HFS21\Canon_041610\00079.MTS
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
File size : 29.3 MiB
Duration : 10s 440ms
Overall bit rate : 23.4 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 24.0 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Duration : 10s 343ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 22.2 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 22.7 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.446
Stream size : 27.3 MiB (93%)
Dell Studio XPS 9100
64 Bit Operating Sytem
12 GB DDR3 SDRAM

George1938
[Post New]
Hi all,

I am now more confused than ever as Tuesday I recorded a scenic (36 - 12 second +/ clips where I panned each to check for stuttering using various settings, including 60i Standard, PF30, PF24 & 24F with the first 3 being interlaced and only the 24F being progressive. What I observed was that only the 24F progressive allowed me to pan with no stuttering and was rather obvious & distracting with the other three. Up to this time I had only used the 24F and I guess the reason I had noted no stuttering.

I might add that all 36 were recorded using a tripod with a floating video head. Straight zooming was also much smoother with the 24F. I might add that on the second day after receiving this camera I recorded a 1-1/2 hour video for someone and I was constantly panning the audience of over 100 persons with no noticeable stuttering using the 24F frame rate. My goal is to only record the highest quality possible for Blu-ray projection.

Go to this Canon site for their explanation and under specifications it states:60i, Native 24p (records at 24p), 24p Progressive (records at 60i), 30p Progressive (records at 60i)

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=ModelFeaturesTabAct&fcategoryid=177&modelid=19827&pageno=11

With my HG21 everything was recorded interlace and I never noticed any stuttering at the settings I used. I also find some of the statements between the manual and other literature to be somewhat conflicting, somewhat like politican's talking.

So perhaps someone would like to further comment on my findings and I would be happy to upload samples to view if someone would tell me how.

Cheers,

GEORGE Dell Studio XPS 9100
64 Bit Operating Sytem
12 GB DDR3 SDRAM

JMK2011 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello George:

I thank you for the testing on frame rates/settings on the Cannon. I think these HD cams are mostly to be used as a camera in the sence shooting should all be straight on (less any panning).

So it looks like 24p will be for shooting when panning is needed and a higher rate when shooting when panning is not needed.

Thanks again George,