Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New Sony 24mbps Cameras
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

As any of you who currently use Sony cameras know, up until now the maximum bitrate they can record at is 16mbps.

A new range of Sony cameras has been released. These include:

1. HDRXR550, 350 and 155 - hard drive
2. HDRCX550, 350 and 155 - flash

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hdd-avchd-hard-disk-drive/hdr-xr550ve

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hdd-avchd-hard-disk-drive/hdr-xr350ve

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hdd-avchd-hard-disk-drive/hdr-xr155e

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/cam-high-definition-on-memory-stick/hdr-cx550ve

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/cam-high-definition-on-memory-stick/hdr-cx350ve

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/cam-high-definition-on-memory-stick/hdr-cx155e

The new range record up to 24mbps unlike previous models.

PD9 is on the horizon and I'm concerned that we try to ensure these new cameras are compatible with SVRT, along with the new wave of Panasonics which currently cannot utilise SVRT.

Sample files of the new Panasonics have been submitted so, as a plea, if anyone is in posession of any of the new 24mbps Sony cameras please supply some sample clips of about 10 seconds in the 24mbps recording mode.

I'd really hate to see us have to get six months into the release of PD9 before it is sorted, particularly as that is exactly what happened with the Canons when they became 24mbps capable.

Dafydd is aware I'm posting this and information on how sample files can be submitted is available through him.

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
[Post New]
this is really very interesting!

it shows, that canon camcorders, first with 24Mbps, sets the new standard for consumer based (or "pro-sumer") camcorders near ~ $1000.USD
makes me happier I have my HFs10

Only the true Pro Broadcast Studio camcorders will have higher,
and set-able, Mbps rates, and resolutions.

I still don't think sony will be any better unless it's a 3CCD imaging system, with higher dynamic range, and more natural looking colors than the canons.

I had a look at one of the links, cx550ve ... it looks similar to the canons now, ... maybe better low light super sensitive Exmor R™ CMOS sensor, and included wide-angle lens, and 12MB snap-shot camera - but what's canon been working on during the last year ?

When's PD9 scheduled to arrive?
end of this year, beginning into next year? ... please do tell.
will i be allowed to update to PD9 ultra, FREE, if i buy PD8 ultra, NOW?

also, please do share the sony sample footage with us... there's a good lad.
is there a place to download the panasonic sample footage?

i'm interested to see if another companies AVCHD file will play thru a Canon HFs10
just to see if the AVCHD codec matches the canon, or if it chokes within the data stream

seriously though, Canon Techs told me there are differences between one companies AVCHD files and another companies file.

how can this be if all the companies are suppose to follow the AVCHD standards. - it must drive software developers crazy !

This message was edited 15 times. Last update was at May 04. 2010 19:30

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
EditMode,

I have a Canon HG20 and had to deal with the Canon AVCHD mess for about a year with PD7/PD8. As of now things are much better because PD8 will utilize SVRT with Canon AVCHD footage at 24 Mb/s. It seems as though each camera manufacture adopts their own flavor of the AVCHD spec and this leads the crux of the problem for software companies.

PD9 will not be released for awhile because beta testing has not officially started yet. However, testing is around the corner and hence the urgency to acquire as much usable footage as possible. Sending sample files to Cyberlink was exactly how SVRT was incorporated for Canon AVCHD.

Edit---
One thing that I have to make clear is that only Cyberlink knows when a new product will be released. Certain forum members may test beta versions, but only Cyberlink knows the details on product releases. The current working version of PD is PD8.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2010 19:56

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
[Post New]
Quote: EditMode,

I have a Canon HG20 and had to deal with the Canon AVCHD mess for about a year with PD7/PD8. As of now things are much better because PD8 will utilize SVRT with Canon AVCHD footage at 24 Mb/s. It seems as though each camera manufacture adopts their own flavor of the AVCHD spec and this leads the crux of the problem for software companies.

PD9 will not be released for awhile because beta testing has not officially started yet. However, testing is around the corner and hence the urgency to acquire as much usable footage as possible. Sending sample files to Cyberlink was exactly how SVRT was incorporated for Canon AVCHD.

Edit---
One thing that I have to make clear is that only Cyberlink knows when a new product will be released. Certain forum members may test beta versions, but only Cyberlink knows the details on product releases. The current working version of PD is PD8.
thank you for that info James. I'm not trying to get "insider" info, just trying to see the best editor to get. and if i should wait for the new release

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2010 20:04

Bob in Tucson
Member Location: Milwaukee, Denver, Tucson Joined: May 30, 2008 18:11 Messages: 133 Offline
[Post New]
Check Vimeo.com Some folks have uploaded files already.
You'd have to invesigate to see how they were produced by the originator to find out if they are original camera files or have been re-rendered with software.
I was able to download clips from Vimeo for the Panasonic TM700 and put them into PD8 to check their properties, etc, etc, etc.

http://vimeo.com/videos/search:sony%20hdr%20cx550

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at May 05. 2010 10:11

The best thing about PD is the people in the Forums !!!
Win-7 Ultimate, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Intel Core i7-980X, 12-GBs DDR3, Intel X25-M 160GB SDD, Asus nVidia GeForce GTX580 (1), Dell U3011 Monitor, Canon HF100 and HF-S21
[Post New]
Quote: Check Vimeo.com Some folks have uploaded files already.
You'd have to invesigate to see how they were produced by the originator to find out if they are original camera files or have been re-rendered with software.
I was able to download clips from Vimeo for the Panasonic TM700 and put them into PD8 to check their properties, etc, etc, etc.

http://vimeo.com/videos/search:sony%20hdr%20cx550
Hey Bob - how's Tucson this time of year

thanks for that link, but I don't think they're not altered by vimeo.com - they have a statement that says -
"Sony HDR-CX550 test. Recorded at 1080 but converted to 720 for Vimeo sing Compressor."

most of these video streaming sites re-render it to a lower format resolution.

maybe the moderators, here, will allow other members to see the ones members uploaded, are there member accessable file lists (IP addresses & logins)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 05. 2010 12:06

Bob in Tucson
Member Location: Milwaukee, Denver, Tucson Joined: May 30, 2008 18:11 Messages: 133 Offline
[Post New]
So, have I got this right...??? (using PAL stats for comparison)

>New Sony has bumped up the Mbps from 16 to 24 for their interlaced format.
>Sony has not included a progressive format option in this model like Panasonic.

>Panasonic gets up to 28Mbps in their new progressive format.
>But, no interlaced format at 24Mbps in the 700 models like Sony.

New Sony HDR-XR/CX Movie Quality
HD ; FX (1920x1080i, 24Mbps)
FH (1920x1080i, 16Mbps)
HQ (9Mbps)
LP (5Mbps) , SD ; HQ (9Mbps)

Source: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/cam-high-definition-on-memory-stick/hdr-cx550ve

New Panasonic 700 series
Signal System (PAL) 1080 / 50p, 1080 / 50i
Recording Format (PAL) 1080 / 50p : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
<AVCHD standard compliant>
HA / HG / HX / HE : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
Recording / Playback Mode (PAL) 1080 / 50p (28Mbps / VBR),
HA (17Mbps / VBR),
HG (13Mbps / VBR),
HX (9Mbps / VBR),
HE (5Mbps / VBR)

Source: http://panasonic.net/avc/camcorder/hd/hs700_tm700_sd700/mainparts.html

Bitrates are getting bigger along with file sizes. Great for quality, but.....
Now you have to upgrade all your playback stuff to match up.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 06. 2010 11:03

Win-7 Ultimate, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Intel Core i7-980X, 12-GBs DDR3, Intel X25-M 160GB SDD, Asus nVidia GeForce GTX580 (1), Dell U3011 Monitor, Canon HF100 and HF-S21
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bob,

Panasonic 50p at 28mbps - quite astonishing, with the next bitrate down 17mbps.

I would love to take a look at some sample files of that!

Some useful information here from Wikipedia:

'In 2010, Panasonic introduced a new lineup of consumer AVCHD camcorders (HDC-HS700/HDC-TM700/HDC-SD700) with 1080-line 50p/60p progressive-scan mode (frame rate depending on region)[19]. While this mode is not compliant with current AVCHD specification, it uses the same codecs for video and audio, packaged into the same container and stored in the same folder as AVCHD-compliant files.[20] While current AVCHD specification limits bitrate to 24 Mbit/s, video recorded in 60p/50p mode can reach 28 Mbit/s. It is also reported that such a video uses Level 4.2, unlike Level 4.0/4.1 used by AVCHD-compliant camcorders'

It is not compliant with the current AVCHD spec so I can't see CL making 28mbps footage from this camera compatible with SVRT.

The Sony and Canon range do conform however so we'll wait and see!

The lack of progressive shooting with the Sonys is why I swapped to Canon, after I was sure Canon 24mbps footage was supported by SVRT.

Cheers,

Andrew

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 06. 2010 14:16

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Bob in Tucson
[Post New]
Hello,
I've been following a discussion on Amazon re: Panasonic TM-700 (ntsc)
and here's a comment that was posted referring to 60p (1080p) files:
The only setting I got to work in vegas that handles the 60P and keeps the 60P rendered out is the M-JPEG.
Huge files (1 GIG per minute of video).

Yeah, Huge files (1 GIG per minute of video).

Another post:
"A video sample I just uploaded to you tube from the TM700 at 60P.
Make sure you watch in 1080P mode (bottom right of video window)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmEPngFDWb8

(U know that with Utube I've found that letting the video completely download b 4 U start playing
...should eliminate starting/stopping of higher definition videos)

Source: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3P5NINJ0LEBSL/ref=cm_cd_pg_oldest?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx264K42EKYAT1D&cdPage=1&asin=B0035LD0EY&store=photo&cdSort=newest&cdThread=Tx23EHL80JNGIID#wasThisHelpful

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at May 09. 2010 09:59

Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Hi,

My in-laws have just purchased the Sony HDR-CX155 which shoots in 24mbps. I've 'borrowed' it to test the files it produces and the great news is that the 24mbps footage IS compatible with SVRT!

Great news indeed!

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB