Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AVCHD in 1080p
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Working with MPEG 2 HD I could create a custom profile that was progressive, but when producing to AVCHD I don't see any option to change the format to progressive. I shoot mostly motorsports, so 1080i is not an option. Am I missing something?

My camera is capable of 1080p. Does anyone know if SVRT will recognize this? I shot some samples this morning to test, but didn't realize it was set to interlaced by default. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Bob in Tucson
Member Location: Milwaukee, Denver, Tucson Joined: May 30, 2008 18:11 Messages: 133 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, Jaime. (I do enjoy your Go-Kart videos)
You said: "Working with MPEG 2 HD I could create a custom profile that was progressive..."
How did you do that?
I cannot locate a custom setting for 1080p, only 1080i.

I'm hoping to get a Panasonic SD700, which shots in 1080p, and I'd like to know if or when 1080p will be added to PD-8.
However, more realistically I'm hoping 1080p will be included in PD-9....

Plus: If I don't know the source of a file, how can I tell if I'm working with a 1080p or 1080i file?
The 'properties' option in PD doesn't identify if your file is p or i ....Right?

Today I learned: The repeated pattern of I, P and B frames in an MPEG stream is known as the Group of Pictures (GOP).

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Apr 26. 2010 11:14

The best thing about PD is the people in the Forums !!!
Win-7 Ultimate, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Intel Core i7-980X, 12-GBs DDR3, Intel X25-M 160GB SDD, Asus nVidia GeForce GTX580 (1), Dell U3011 Monitor, Canon HF100 and HF-S21
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
When working in MPEG 2, I choose a 1080i profile. Click on the button to create a custom profile. Click the video tab. There is a drop down menu for field type. Change it to progressive. I hope that's right. Otherwise I have been doing it wrong for a while.

Put the clip in the timeline and right-click on it. Choose set TV format. The first two radio buttons are interlaced, the third is progressive. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jaime,

Changing the GOP pattern is one of the things you should also do.

If you look at the 3g2 GOP pattern for 720p you'll note it is markedly different from an interlaced one (AVCHD). However it also of a pattern which inhibits file merging (supposedly but I haven't had issues to note so far).

If I could find a GOP pattern reading software (free) for a progressive already produced file (which we have from our cameras). I think we could make an AVCHD profile more suited to our needs.

In addition, I have found it possible to share an AVCHD template with another user. I gave Bubba in Nevada my templates and he then had access to the ones I created in custom. The only downside is it involved complete substitution of previous customised profiles.

I'll take a deeper look at the 1080p profile and perhaps come up with some suggestions.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 26. 2010 06:31

James Dotson
[Post New]
Thanks, I'll have to research that more. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Bob in Tucson
Member Location: Milwaukee, Denver, Tucson Joined: May 30, 2008 18:11 Messages: 133 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,
I've tried many different ways to find a 1080p option in the custom video profile drop-down menu,
but the only progressive option that I see is 1280x720p.
I don't see a 1920x1080p option....Yes/No..? Waaz up?

(thanks, Jaime, I forgot about the Set TV Format option. It's nice to
know exactly what the file really is with which you're working.)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 26. 2010 12:45

Win-7 Ultimate, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Intel Core i7-980X, 12-GBs DDR3, Intel X25-M 160GB SDD, Asus nVidia GeForce GTX580 (1), Dell U3011 Monitor, Canon HF100 and HF-S21
James Dotson
[Post New]
There's not a 1080p format. I create a custom profile using 1920x1080i and set it to progressive. I just checked a video clip I saved and it says that it's progressive, but Dafydd points out that there may be more to do. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
James Dotson
[Post New]
This is what I am talking about.

[Post New]
Thanks You, Thank You, I got it, I found it, the visuals did the trick, Jaime.
You're absolutly right. I finally found 'progressive' under the MPEG-2 format button.
(I noticed that the 'Advanced' menu does not appear when H.264 AVC is selected.)
Q: I took a AVCHD Progressive clip through this process and found that the original FPS rate of 59+ was reduced to 29-FPS in the produced MPEG-2 clip. Did you get that result, too?
Or, if you shoot in MPEG Progressive, do the fps change after production?
Q: Where did I get the idea that in order to get the great motion qualities of 1080p, the frame rate has to be 59/60-fps..???
I do know that the Panasonic 700's do shoot 1080p at 59.94fps and 23.62Mbps.
I don't think that PD can produce files with those numbers. (???)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 27. 2010 12:44