Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error!! The product definitation file lost.
Ivan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 16, 2010 20:13 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

When I trying to install PowerDVD 10 ("CyberLink.1516(Trial)_DVD100209-06.exe") I get an error message:

Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 was detected on your system. Please uninstall first.
Do you want to uninstall Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 now?

"yes"

Error!! The product definitation file lost.

My system is Windows 7 x64, build 6.1.7600

Could you please tell me what registry key or file should I delete to bypass the error?

Thanks.
David_H [Avatar]
Member Location: U.S. Joined: Jan 08, 2009 16:19 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ivan,

Were you logged into the same Windows User Account when you tried to remove the program as when you installed it? If not, that may be the problem. (It should also be a User Account with Administrator privileges.)

Kind regards, David
Ivan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 16, 2010 20:13 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
The problem is a little bit more complicated. I manually deleted Cyberlink directory and used TuneUp Utilities to clean up registry.

Thanks.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 17. 2010 12:36

David_H [Avatar]
Member Location: U.S. Joined: Jan 08, 2009 16:19 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ... I manually deleted Cyberlink directory and used TuneUp Utilities to clean up registry.

Hi Ivan,

That's too bad. I'm afraid I can't help any further. What you will need now is for a CyberLink Tech Support representative to help you manually delete the portions that were missed. It may also require manually editing the Windows registry. You should contact CyberLink Tech Support pronto. Good luck.

For the sake of others who are reading this thread, it is rarely a good idea to delete a program folder without first uninstalling it via a Windows uninstaller. Computer programs are seldom contained in just one folder or one nest of folders. There will usually be system components that are installed in various system folders, common or shared folders and files and user-specific folders and files, and a variety of Windows registry entries. Some of these folders and system files are hidden by the operating system and you have to unhide them before you can find and remove them.

This is why many applications require a sophisticated installer to install them. And it's also why you need a similar uninstaller to remove them. Deleting files and folders manually is seldom a good idea unless you have detailed instructions from the software manufacturer on how to do it.

Here is the best way to test PowerDVD 10 during its "demo" period:

How to Test PowerDVD 10
1 - Before you install PowerDVD 10, first create a full backup of your main hard drive partition (this should be the hard drive partition where Windows is installed---it is usually your "C" drive). Note: Windows' built-in "restore" feature is sometimes not sufficient---that's why you need a full backup. I use Norton Ghost 15.0 but there are many good backup programs on the market.

2 - Check with your video card manufacturer, audio card manufacturer and/or computer manufacturer to see if there are any video or audio driver updates for your computer. If there are, install them. This is very important because PowerDVD 10, being a new program, requires the latest video and audio drivers to be installed on your computer. Many user problems are due to old drivers that the user never bothered to update. Just because older versions of PowerDVD work fine on your computer does not guarantee that version 10 will work if you have old drivers.

3 - Install PowerDVD 10 and test it. While you test it, do not use your computer for anything else. Don't check your email, messages, etc. That way you won't loose anything in case you need to restore your computer back to its condition prior to installing PowerDVD 10.

4 - If PowerDVD 10 malfunctions with your system or you decide it doesn't meet your needs, then use the Windows uninstaller to remove it. Here's how to run the uninstaller under Windows 7 and Vista: Launch the Windows Control Panel. Click on the "Uninstall a program" link under "Programs". In the next window, select "CyberLink PowerDVD 10" from the list of programs then click on the "Uninstall/Change" button at the top of the list. The Windows uninstaller should now walk you through the steps to remove the program.

5 - If something goes wrong and you are unable to successfully uninstall PowerDVD 10, then you should run your backup program and restore the contents of your main hard drive partition using the backup that you created in Step 1 above. This should return your computer to the exact same state it was in when the backup was created. It also means that you will loose any work that you've done since you installed PowerDVD 10 (that's why I recommended that you don't do anything else with your computer until after you've finished testing PowerDVD 10 so you won't have anything to loose).

It can be a lot of work to test a program and it can be a royal pain in the you-know-where when the program under test misbehaves and trashes your system. But the above steps will save you if you get into trouble. The less you know about your computer, the more important a backup is because fixing computer software problems can be very complicated as the various threads in the CyberLink forums illustrate.

Kind regards, David

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 18. 2010 00:35