Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video from Canon T2i has wrong fps
VanHee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 28, 2006 20:51 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
The new Canon DSLR, T2i/550D, has several video modes. The mode I've been working in is the 'Crop Mode' which uses the center pixels in the sensor to create a 7X video with longer focus depth. Canon says the video should be 480p at 60 fps but I only get 30 fps in PowerDirector. Is there a setting I need to change?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi VanHee -

No. 60fps = 60 interlaced fields per second.

This might help you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
VanHee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,

Thanks for your reply. The Canon T2i produces 60fps progressive for all frame sizes except 1080p which is 30fps. I think the answer is that PowerDirector doesn't handle 60fps progressive. That's too bad because it means I'll have to buy something else.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 31. 2010 13:33

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
PD8 handles my 60fps 1080 progressive.

If you're on about output then you are governed by a different issue in selecting the correct render resolution and frame rate.

As regards editing 60fps 1080p you'll find PD8 handles it.

thanks

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 31. 2010 14:06

VanHee [Avatar]
[Post New]
SoftDeko,

Thanks for your response. So this answer has changed?
http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/posts/list/1429.page

Back to my original question, I have PD8 but it does not articulate 60fps of video shot by my T2i. How do I fix that?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
No that answer hasn't changed at all.

PD8 can handle 60fps 1080p. It will edit the footage.
When it comes to viewing individual frames then that's not a do-able in PD's present form.

PD8 will display a block of electronic video data into either 25 or 30 fps, this is the way PD8 handles the data.

I have no problem with that.

I would like a 60frame display as an option but that isn't part of PD8.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
VanHee [Avatar]
[Post New]
One of my objectives is to extract frames of action videos as photos. You can't extract a frame that it won't show you. In addition, I wonder how you can verify that you have 60fps if you can't see/count the frames?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
MediaInfo, bitrate per frame

Single frame capture from Video? Slow the video down (change the speed within PD) and you'll still have a blur, it isn't going to be as sharp as a still.

My son uses a Canon7D.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
VanHee [Avatar]
[Post New]
The frames are not as good as a still photos but they're getting better with progressive video from DSLRs. You can set the shutter speed to 1/4000 of a sec with enough light. Here's a frame of a std definition video taken with a shutter speed of 1/1000 sec.

You can also extract HD frames and resize them to get better photos.
VanHee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's a link to the actual the Steller's Jay video from which the frame above was taken. As I said it's Std Def.:
http://www.motionbox.com/videos/a499ddb61714ebcb2c?iid=switch_player_sd&type=sd

Here's a croped portion of a 1080p frame that shows some softness resulting from the compression codec:

If you downsize the frame to 1/2 height and 1/2 width (1/4 of the original pixels) you get a better image, but still large enough to use on the internet: