Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 10 install problem
ROBERT [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2010 11:49 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Just purchased PowerDVD 10 Ultra upgrade, and before installing I removed PowerDVD 9 so that I would have a clean install in Windows XP Pro. I get error message stating cannot find PowerDVD 8 or above, and aborting the install allowing no opportunity to input keys. Have CD Keys for both versions, how do I install the software.
David_H [Avatar]
Member Location: U.S. Joined: Jan 08, 2009 16:19 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
I Robert,

I just upgraded from PowerDVD 8 Ultra to 10 Ultra. Like you, I removed the old version first. But I went a step farther and I used a registry cleaner to make sure that all traces of version 8 had been removed from my computer. (I simply used the registry cleaner in Norton 360.)

I had no trouble installing the PowerDVD 10 Ultra upgrade even though an older version was no longer on my computer. As far as I can tell, the "upgrade" is the same download as first-time users get. The only difference is how much you pay---existing customers get the discount.

Perhaps your Windows registry still has entries from the old version that are causing the trouble.

One more thought: I purchased the upgrade as a download. If you purchased the upgrade on CD, then it may have extra security to prevent it being "shared" with friends who have never purchased PowerDVD before. If this is the case, you should contact CyberLlink directly for Tech Support.

Kind regards, David
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Robert,

for installing the UPGRADE it is essential to have an earlier Version installed on your PC.

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
David_H [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: ... for installing the UPGRADE it is essential to have an earlier Version installed on your PC. ...

Hi CyberLink-Michael,

Respectfully, I think you've got it wrong. If a prior version is required by the version 10 upgrade installer, then why was I able to remove PowerDVD 8 Ultra from my computer, clean the Windows registry, and install the PowerDVD 10 Ultra upgrade with no trouble even though an older copy of PowerDVD was no longer on my computer?

The first time I ran PowerDVD 10 Ultra, it asked for my registration code. I entered the code that CyberLink provided when I purchased the upgrade on the CyberLink website and that was all I needed to do.

Do older versions of PowerDVD leave "secret" files or registry entries so later upgrade installers can find them? More information would be appreciated because this may cause a problem when I replace my computer with a new one later this year. I'll be wanting to install my PowerDVD 10 Ultra program on it (I'll remove it from my old computer first). Since this will be a new computer an older copy of PowerDVD will have never been present.

Kind regards, David
Maverick1251 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 29, 2010 08:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
My installation of powerdvd 10 ultra kept closing as soon as it tried to uninstall power dvd 9 ultra and nothing else happened, so I deleted 9 ultra and used the recommended cleaner. I then tried again and now it tells me I need Version 8 or higher to install. but it wont let me reinstall 9 ultra saying the version I have is only for versions of 9 ultra that support the play back of blue ray discs. so now i have neither version and have paid for both???? Anyone help????

I have not found an original power dvd 9 ultra. I only have the latest upgrade on my pc, and it wont let me download the original.

I have windows 7, 32 bit, ati radeon hd 3200 graphics, Matshita BD-CMB ata device, 2 x AMD Athlon X2 dual-core ql-64

9 ultra worked fine until i tried the upgrade, but i want to install 10, as i have paid for it!!
Also, regarding previous comments. I tried a clean install on another pc thats never had power dvd of any kind on it and it asked for version 8 or later, so you do need an earlier version and this will affect you if you buy a new pc.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2010 09:18

David_H [Avatar]
[Post New]
My system has Windows XP Media Center Edition (SP3). Perhaps that's the difference. Maybe the upgrade's requirement to have a prior version installed is broken on XP but not on Windows 7. I don't know.

I never had PowerDVD 9---I upgraded from version 8 Ultra to 10 Ultra. As I wrote earlier, I carefully removed version 8 and cleaned all traces that I could find off my hard drive before I installed the version 10 upgrade and I had zero trouble.

From what you're reporting, Maverick1251, it sounds like I'm going to have trouble moving PowerDVD 10 Ultra to Windows 7 later this year if I don't install version 8 on it first. Buggers!

Kind regards, David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2010 10:18

Maverick1251 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 29, 2010 08:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: My system has Windows XP Media Center Edition (SP3). Perhaps that's the difference. Maybe the upgrade's requirement to have a prior version installed is broken on XP but not on Windows 7. I don't know.

I never had PowerDVD 9---I upgraded from version 8 Ultra to 10 Ultra. As I wrote earlier, I carefully removed version 8 and cleaned all traces that I could find off my hard drive before I installed the version 10 upgrade and I had zero trouble.

From what you're reporting, Maverick1251, it sounds like I'm going to have trouble moving PowerDVD 10 Ultra to Windows 7 later this year if I don't install version 8 on it first. Buggers!

Kind regards, David

I cant get any version on at the moment. i'm waiting for support to get back to me with a solution as even the most recent version of ultra9 wont go back on my pc after cleaning it. The version of 9 i had was a full download and not an upgrade too. but cant get access to it after 30 days!!!! hence support