Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Movie 2012 in Blu Ray Will Not Play on PowerDVD 8 Ultra
Steven [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 07, 2010 10:48 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I cannot get past the trailers for new movies. There is no menu. I have tried the keyboard, but nothing. Just an endless loop of the menu video. Is there a fix or patch?

I see problems in version 9, and see no reason to upgrade. The solution may be to abandon a computer, abandon Cyberlink, and buy a blu disk player, as this is a consistent problem.

It seems like the DVD makers are trying to add stuff that no one wants to and that sabotages viewing of blu ray disks.
r! ^..^~~ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2010 14:32 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I am or "was" trying to play the same movie with the same results with PowerDVD8. The "forum" suggested I upgrade, that that probably would fix it. NOT. Now my system, with PowerDVD9 Ultra, won't even load the movie. If I don't get control of my computer with the task manager quickly, the system blue-screens! Last night I just ripped the movie with AnyDVD HD and watched it with the Windows Classic Player. This blu-ray situation is way too much crap!
JEREMEY [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2010 15:16 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
yeah i tried playing that blu ray and it did the same thing about not loading up a menu, so i upgraded as well to the dvd 9 ultra and now i cant play any blu rays! any help would be appriciated... my computer keeps locking up when i try to run the dvd ultra 9!!!!!
r! ^..^~~ [Avatar]
[Post New]
I had the same problem until I added the last patch to my PowerDVD9. Now all is good it plays like downtown Make sure you have the most recent patch. That is the key to all of this. Go to the software downloads, get it! r! ^..^~~
r! ^..^~~ [Avatar]
[Post New]
One other thing here. The BD Advisor said that I didn't have sufficient computer power and a bunch of other things to play blu-ray. The techs, when they finally got to me, said the same. WRONG... I knew my system with a Prescott P4 @ 3.4 GHz would do it and it does... perfectly. It took me a week though to figure that the software updater for the PDVD9 wasn't working properly. So I went to the site and search manually. All is good now... but it was very frustrating getting here! r! ^..^~~
Brian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 13, 2010 12:41 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]

I had same trouble and Dell support told me to reinstall the OS. Geez.
Tested a range of Blu Rays and several also do not work (problems getting to the top menu, playimg). Dell is sending a new drive, but I am almost sure that is not the answer.
It looks like upgrading, with the patch, worked... but do I need to upgrade at additional $$ just to get a working Blu Ray I just paid for?!?!

Ideas welcomed!!
r! ^..^~~ [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't believe blu-ray is going to work "correctly" on any computer unless it has the latest patch installed. And yeah, I think you might have to pay the extra money to get it all working. It seemed I did anyway. Dell, invariably, is wrong. LOL...too much. Lately, Dell would tell me anything to make a sell. I don't like that! r! ^..^~~
Goliath [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 09, 2007 22:13 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem here with PowerDVD 7 Ultra. Problem solved when installing PowerDVD 9 Ultra 30-Day Trial Version. I know it's not a perfect solution but at least you can watch the movie for 30 days. I guess we have to wait for the next patch before user of older version of PowerDVD would get a permanent fix.
r! ^..^~~ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Goliath .. In a pinch you can also watch Blu-ray movies by ripping it to your hard drive with AnyDVD HD. Download the free Windows Media Classic Player which already supports 2mts files to watch it. Really, let me tell ya' - 2012 rips so clear I couldn't tell the difference between it and Blu-ray (after I had gotten it working). The program, AnyDVD HD is a thirty-day-deal also - unless you buy it. r! ^..^~~
RIFF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2010 23:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Seems to me that those of us that paid good money for Blu-ray DVD drives and got Cyberlink PowerDVD 7 bundled with their purchase are getting left behind. We should not have to pay for an upgrade when it is obvious that a patch is in order. Hence the users with PowerDVD 9 are having to patch theirs as well to play 2012.
[Post New]
I'm in agreement. I have 3 original LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD players, which means I paid an arm and a leg for them. I expect support for the software that comes with them; typically PowerDVD 7.?. However, last year I purchased PowerDVD8 Ultra as an upgrade because I wanted to exploit the full sound of 7.1 through fiber optic. I was a little pissed to say the least when PowerDVD8 would not play "2012." My family drove 45min to come to my house to watch it, and were disappointed. I was furious because I have paid top dollar for the hardware and software. I WANT IT TO WORK WHEN IT SHOULD. Cyberlink should know better; if a new movie has a new format, they should not be waiting for complaints to do something about it. Cyberlink needs to get on top of this if they want to keep business.
Chad [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 17, 2010 22:10 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I would like to know if they even have plans to update powerdvd 7 ever again to fix this problem. When Avatar comes out is it also going to be unplayable?

If we are forced to upgrade to 9 then i would like a much bigger discount than 20% off of only 9 that apparently is hit and miss for 2012 to even work for some people.
RALPH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 01, 2010 13:35 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone!
I have a few posts on a few sites about the same problems that others seem to have...not playing, etc.

I found out from Best Buy computer Geeks (who worked on it for me...for a price) that it was a simple video card driver upgrade to windows 7. Now my version 10 Ultra plays blu-ray but has a "skip" every second. This is one that I, nor an in-house technician, has an answer to.

My XPS 1530 is great but forget Dell...their support is non-existent. You can't get anyone that is not from India...not even if you offer to pay for the service.

On two occasions, they told me they need to reinstall the operating system...that is their standard answer. And, they are completely wrong.

In closing, I love the version 10 (once I can get rid of this skip) and I would never buy another Dell's support. I will pay Best Buy to work on it.

Good luck everyone...
r! ^..^~~ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not only is it a royal hassle getting the software to play corrctly, watch you don't crash your system and need a download of the program. This happened to me and I couldn't find anywhere on the Cylnk site to redownload PowerDVD 9 Ultra. There is none. So I had to make a ticket to get the download. This is a week ago. After three days they got back to me and sent me a site that doesn't work to do the download. I'm three tickets into this thing just trying to get the 9 Ultra program again. What a waste of time.
Asit [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2008 02:36 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I still don't see any patch for powerdvd 7.3 ultra for this problem. I am not going to upgrade just to be able to play blu-ray disc. It is ok to upgrade to
get new features, but to play discs that are still called blu-ray, the existing
software MUST work. I don't know how much longer powerdvd is going to
take to cleanup this mess, they have completely screwed up my HTPC
experience.

If I have to buy something new, I will not pay for the latest version, I will
pay slightly more and get a stand alone player.