Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 7.0 Won't Activate in Windows Vista
Jimbo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 17, 2007 18:39 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I can't get my copy of PowerDVD 7 to activate in Windows Vista - after I put in the activation key, I get the following message:

Activating now...

You cannot upgrade PowerDVD 7 because you do not have Administrator privileges on this computer.

I'm logged on as the local administrator, so that's just crap. Anyone know how to get it activated?

J
-----
Windows Vista Ultimate (Fresh Install)
Installed PowerDVD 6 (Yes, I did manage to get it to install, despite what it says in the sticky post at the top of the forum)
Upgrade to PowerDVD 7
Enter Activation Key -> Won't Activate
Jason_Hockey_Player [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 31, 2007 21:04 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
You may have to right click on the shortcut for Power DVD 7 and select "Run As Administrator. Im a nice ice hockey player!
Jimbo [Avatar]
[Post New]
I eventually managed to get PowerDVD 7 installed and activated, although I had to use the Build 2414 patch installer instead of the link I was sent when I purchased my upgrade.

It's working ok, although I get a Windows Vista UAC prompt every time I start the software - the PowerDVD.exe is marked as "Run as Administrator", though that may be a result of the hoops I had to jump through to get it installed. I'm going to contact Cyberlink tech support about this, because I reckon there's no way that Microsoft would have given them a Vista certification for the product if it needs Admin privileges just to play a DVD.

J
Timothy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 05, 2007 09:55 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
How did you use the 2414 patch installer to make it work?
Jimbo [Avatar]
[Post New]
I installed my existing PowerDVD 6.0 by setting the compatibility mode for XP and setting the Run as Administrator flag, then downloaded the v2414 patch (it's not really a patch, it's a full install with the patched version) and installed that, again with the Run As Administrator flag set.

Note that after I finally got it installed and activated, I had difficulty then getting it to run as an ordinary user - running the installer as administrator had set the flag for the PowerDVD exe in Program Files and I had to hack the registry to remove it because the option was greyed out on the Properties dialog.

Good luck.

J
Timothy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 05, 2007 09:55 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
If UAC is disabled then the option to run as admin is grayed out because you’re already and admin and it no longer needs to ask permission. I’m at a roadblock activating. I submitted to support that I am logged in as admin and UAC is disabled and they email me back telling me to disable UAC and try again. I cannot stand when support is so inconsiderate as to not read what I email them in the first place and then to send me a canned answer is just insulting. I'm stationed in Germany for the army and I don’t have a phone near my computer that I can access. I wish I knew why the activation program thinks I'm not an admin. This is so frustration to not be able to use something I paid for. If they have today off as some companies do then I guess I go my 4 day weekend without HDDVD Enjoyment. I guess it could be worse I could be in Iraq. O wait I will be soon. Joy. Thanks Cyberlink for looking out for your customers.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 06. 2007 13:51