Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD16 is S-L-O-W
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 07, 2009 15:27 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD16 on a 2014 Lenovo laptop running Win 8.1. I have used PD since version 8 or 9. I have the following settings preferences

1) Windows "compatiblility" settings enabled
2) Shadow files enabled
3) Preview quality set at "normal"
4) Preview mode at Real-time (i need audio)
5) Open CL enabled

It is unbearably slow and I am only running 1920 or less.

Thoughts anyone?
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
101 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the details. Your Intel HD Graphics driver is almost 2 years old and you can download the most recent version (Feb 2021) from here.

You haven't siad what you're doing with your project(s), but there are all kinds of edits that will slow PD to a crawl even if you're using shadow files. If simply placing a clip on the timeline and hitting play is S-L-O-W, then that's a different story.

Also, the DxDiag results show a whole bunch of WindowsUpdateFailure3 crashes which is a potential sign of OS instability. While this situation shouldn't cause performance issues with PD, you still may want to run the two commands shown in bold here to have Windows check and repair any damaged system files.
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the details. Your Intel HD Graphics driver is almost 2 years old and you can download the most recent version (Feb 2021) from here.

You haven't said what you're doing with your project(s), but there are all kinds of edits that will slow PD to a crawl even if you're using shadow files. If simply placing a clip on the timeline and hitting play is S-L-O-W, then that's a different story.

Also, the DxDiag results show a whole bunch of WindowsUpdateFailure3 crashes which is a potential sign of OS instability. While this situation shouldn't cause performance issues with PD, you still may want to run the two commands shown in bold here to have Windows check and repair any damaged system files.

Optodata,

Nice to see you are still here. I posted this same problem in 2019 for this very same laptop. You walked me through steps to take over the course of several days and were very, very helpful. Thank you. The dialog is here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/80503.page

I only use this program one month per year right before Christmas as I am making a movie which plays on our house along with a LED "lights to music" show we do each year.

The use of PD16 includes building a movie to a sound track. The assets I use are kept in an "Image" folder and a "video" folder. I build a 4:3 to fit an area on my house. I build several videos, all around 2-3 minutes in length.

An example of SLOW is with a group of assets in the content area of an opened project, if I click on one asset to delete it, it takes about 10 seconds for the blue box to outline the asset, then I right click to delete and it takes another 20 seconds for the asset to go away. Working on the time line is simply un-doable at this point.

Since I posted last night, I performed a sfc/scannow and a dism...scanhealth. I also disabled shadow files. Attached is a new dxdiag since doing all that. PD16 did not improve at all after those changes

So..I was thinking about re-installing PD16??? What else?

Charles
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
95 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2021 14:26

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the new info. Based on what you've added, I don't think you need to use shadow files (which take time to generate and slow PD down while it's creating them), and I also don't think uninstalling/reinstalling PD will make any difference.

Assuming you're not looking to get a new computer, using the Reset this PC tool or doing a clean installation of Windows may be the only ways to solve this particular issue. Here's a link to the steps, which will give you the option to keep all your data files and (most) of the installed apps or to completely start over.

Make sure you have all your old installers, CDs and DVDs ready, and it's always a good idea to make a full system backup that's stored on external discs or USB drives in case you need to recover any missing files.

Since we're talking about some significant changes here, I also think it's important to consider updating to a modern version of Windows.

Your system isn't compatible with Win11, but Win10 is a far better OS than 8.1, especially since MS stopped mainstream support for that version three years ago and will end all support in Jan 2023 (15 months from now).

You could try an in-place upgrade from 8.1 to 10 first and see how that goes, and only doing a clean Win10 installation and adding back all your apps if PD16 was still lagging.
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the new info. Based on what you've added, I don't think you need to use shadow files (which take time to generate and slow PD down while it's creating them), and I also don't think uninstalling/reinstalling PD will make any difference.

Assuming you're not looking to get a new computer, using the Reset this PC tool or doing a clean installation of Windows may be the only ways to solve this particular issue. Here's a link to the steps, which will give you the option to keep all your data files and (most) of the installed apps or to completely start over.

Make sure you have all your old installers, CDs and DVDs ready, and it's always a good idea to make a full system backup that's stored on external discs or USB drives in case you need to recover any missing files.

Since we're talking about some significant changes here, I also think it's important to consider updating to a modern version of Windows.

Your system isn't compatible with Win11, but Win10 is a far better OS than 8.1, especially since MS stopped mainstream support for that version three years ago and will end all support in Jan 2023 (15 months from now).

You could try an in-place upgrade from 8.1 to 10 first and see how that goes, and only doing a clean Win10 installation and adding back all your apps if PD16 was still lagging.

ugg! When I had this same problem in 2019, did alot of work to get PD16 to work right, then it still was good in the 2020 season and now it's not. What changed?
optodata
[Post New]
I don't know. All the advice I gave was sound then and it's sound now. PD16 didn't suddenly go bad, and based on what you're describing I can't think of anything that would help short of purging whatever's gone wrong with Windows.

You're free to try uninstalling/resinstalling PD on the off chance that it will work better. You can also ask CL tech support for assistance as they might have tools or diagnostics that could help.

Remember that WIndows can get bogged down by all the updates and changes that have been released. Starting over - especially with a newer version - can make a world of difference as far as performance goes.

As long as you make a backup, there's no harm in doing an in-place upgrade to Win10 (or a Reset this PC to keep Win8.1) to see if that resolves the issue.

You can even do a new Windows install and only load PD16 to make sure it works, then work on and finish your project before restoring the backup image. We're talking a couple of hours at most here, maybe longer if you do a clean install and decide to keep it and then have to load all your apps again.

You may also be able to install PD16 on another system so you can get your project finished. Those are the best options I can think of, and personally I've done enough full reinstalls to know that that's the most reliable way to get rid of stubborn performance issues like this.