Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How many computers can PowerDVD be installed on?
[Post New]
Thank you in advance for any help - I just purchased PowerDVD 18 ultra and am wondering if it can be installed on more than one computers with me being the only user? Also further down the track, if I upgrade my PC (and of course, erase the old one), can I still use the same install on a new PC or do I have to buy it again?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2018 05:14

CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Just one, that's the license you bought.

David
[Post New]
Actually, as I read the End User License Agreement (EULA) which can be found in the cyberlink directory where POWERDVD is loaded, it does not restrict the software to one device, the only restriction is to one "user":

EULA

"* GRANT OF LICENSE & USAGE RESTRICTIONS
Below are the general license terms and usage restrictions followed by specific provisions depending on the type of license you have.
CyberLink, as licensor, grants to you, the licensee, a non-exclusive right to download and/or install the accompanying PowerDVD software program(s) (hereinafter the "SOFTWARE") on a certain number of computer(s)/ device(s) in accordance with the number of the license(s) you purchased and use the SOFTWARE in accordance with the terms contained in this license. You agree and acknowledge that you may receive SOFTWARE update, upgrade notices or any commercial electronic messages during the use of SOFTWARE.

**INDIVIDUAL CONSUMER
If you acquire the SOFTWARE under an individual license it is for your own use under the general terms above."

As I read the license, as long as I (the user) am only running one instance of the software, there is no restriction as to the number of devices on which the software can be installed.

This is more in line with cloud based software that does not apply hardware installation restrictions, only use restrictions.

As for your upgrade question. As long as you keep the key, you can reinstall PowerDVD and use the same key and it will reinstall. If, in the future, you purchase an upgrade to PDVD 19 (hypothetical) at reduced cost (license upgrade), retain both keys. That way if you ever need to do a clean install, PDVD will request the license for PDVD 19, recognize it is an upgrade key, and then request the previous version key PDVD 18 key, to allow the installation to proceed.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 09. 2018 13:53

Steve48 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 08, 2013 20:10 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Is any one able to confirm if the abovce is correct? I have a need to install and use my copy on a laptop for just one night (I will not be using the desktop at the same time).
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is any one able to confirm if the abovce is correct? I have a need to install and use my copy on a laptop for just one night (I will not be using the desktop at the same time).

EULA:
CyberLink, as licensor, grants to you, the licensee, a non-exclusive right to download and/or install the accompanying PowerDVD software program(s) (hereinafter the "SOFTWARE") on a certain number of computer(s)/ device(s) in accordance with the number of the license(s) you purchased

You purchase 1 license, then you can install it on 1 device.
2 licenses -> 2 devices.

That's what I read and understand.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 13. 2018 05:42

[Post New]
Thank you all for your help & contribution. I think I'll stick to the single installation on one device for now to be on the safe side.
Forum Moderator [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2018 01:01 Messages: 578 Offline
[Post New]
Thread closed for future reference. All the information you need on license installation is above. Please direct any sales or technical issues to CyberLink's customer support team:

Sales or installation related issues:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do

Software technical issues:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/sup