Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
UHD Motherboard Requirement
mike.T [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 17, 2012 05:05 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks for the clarification. However, how does your scenario pan out when you have a graphics card with it's own HDMI or DisplayPort connector. In that case, it seems like the motherboard is out of the loop since the traffic goes from the software to the buss to the high end GPU.

That being said, there is a path from the UHD BD drive through BIOS to the buss through the chipset. Does that play into the completion of the entire path from media to display, or not?

Yes. you're right. If for the discrete GPU case, the HDCP 2.2/HDR/HDMI 2.0a features are implemented by the discrete GPU.

So when NV/AMD GPU can support UHDBD, then mainboard is not required for HDCP 2.2/HDR 10/HDMI 2.0a.

But so far there's no discrete GPU that supports UHD-BD. I guess CyberLink is still trying hard to persuade NV/AMD to work with them to come up a solution.

UHD-BD DRM requirement not only requires HDCP 2.2, if you take a look at the AACS2 License agreement, you'll see there're far more requirements that need to be meet. For example, they need kernel mode processing, they need to protect the screen from being captured by 3rd party screen recorders, etc. These requires support from NV/AMDs, CyberLink can't make it on their own.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2017 21:51

[Post New]

Yes. you're right. If for the discrete GPU case, the HDCP 2.2/HDR/HDMI 2.0a features are implemented by the discrete GPU.

So when NV/AMD GPU can support UHDBD, then mainboard is not required for HDCP 2.2/HDR 10/HDMI 2.0a.

But so far there's no discrete GPU that supports UHD-BD. I guess CyberLink is still trying hard to persuade NV/AMD to work with them to come up a solution.

UHD-BD DRM requirement not only requires HDCP 2.2, if you take a look at the AACS2 License agreement, you'll see there're far more requirements that need to be meet. For example, they need kernel mode processing, they need to protect the screen from being captured by 3rd party screen recorders, etc. These requires support from NV/AMDs, CyberLink can't make it on their own.

Is it just me, or do the producers of UHD seem out of touch with reality? In this over-the-top effort to protect "intellectual property" (questionable term at best) they are really impacting the methods on delivery for the product. I think the music industry figured out long ago that standing in the way of content distribution through multiple means was counter productive.

It might just be the geek in me, but I am part of the over 60 crowd that invests in players, big TVs, and old school home theater approaches. That being said I also like my HTPC approach to serving up content to that system. Streaming has a place, but ripping BDs and UHDs, running through hardware to a display is still a market. 3D never really took off because it got so complicated. Is that the future of UHD? Not a lot of people are currently investing in UHDs and you don't find them on the shelves. Same scenario I saw with 3D. Granted, you don't need the glasses that people don't like, but making hardware acquisition expensive and complicated isn't going to work in thier favor.

So, in this forum and context. It's nice that we have software programmers incorporating UHD in PowerDVD 17. But, if you can't access the functionality because hardware platforms are difficult to impossible to obtain, having it as the Number 1 reason to upgrade probably won't force a lot of sales and may rebound when buyers figure out what it takes to deliver UHD.
Bryanz786 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2017 20:11 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
So we dont have to beat a dead horse...for those interested in 4k playback outside of physical media, it will play those files...you do not need a special motherboard, cpu, etc... for physical media, at this point..forget it until nvidia sorts out the drivers needed to get it going. There is an experimental driver available to Windows Insider Program and the latest build downloaded to get Netflix 4k thru Edge browser on a gtx10 series card without a special motherboard or kaby lake processor. By the end of summer, that decryption should be available to all..including those interested in the pioneer uhd player.
triffid
Member Location: Prague, the heart of Europe Joined: Feb 04, 2017 06:33 Messages: 146 Offline
[Post New]
Quote That's the old BIOS. I have the latest F21, but it does not have an SGX option under peripherals.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a chance to enable SGX on your motherboard. Let me know if you are interested.

... .
FOR THE LIST OF ULTRA HD BLU-RAY COMPATIBLE MOTHERBOARDS CLICK HERE
My hardware: Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 motherboard + i7 7700 CPU + Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK
bondisdead [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 11, 2017 17:05 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
The Advisor is right, I am afraid. You see, I checked all Z170 and Z270 boards on the market to make the list. Unfortunately not all manufacturers provide detailed enough specifications. Many are missing HDMI version, leavning us uncertain if it is 1.4 or 2.0, almost everybody forgets about HDCP version and nobody actually mentions SGX among specifications.

I needed to read manuals, check related downloads and wrote questions to the manufacturers. The work is not done yet. Gigabyte support answered to me that they passed my question to a qualified technician and he should answer later. However if you have the latest BIOS and you still can't find Intel Software Guard Extensions option there, then Gaming GT is not able to play UHD BDs, I am sorry.

Does your BIOS look like this? There is no SGX option on the picture.

[url=http://www.tweaktown.com/image.php?image=imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/7/4/7420_50_gigabyte-z170x-ud5-th-intel-z170-motherboard-review_full.png
http://www.tweaktown.com/image.php?image=imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/7/4/7420_50_gigabyte-z170x-ud5-th-intel-z170-motherboard-review_full.png[/url]

My MSI Z170A Gaming M5 Live Update utility recently offered the Intel Software Guard Extensions download. It might have been when I swapped my Skylake i5 for a Kaby Lake, but not sure. Does this mean my PC would playback UHD? Guess I need to confirm HDMI 2.0.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 19. 2022 23:01

triffid
Member Location: Prague, the heart of Europe Joined: Feb 04, 2017 06:33 Messages: 146 Offline
[Post New]
MSI boards don't have HDMI 2.0.

... .
FOR THE LIST OF ULTRA HD BLU-RAY COMPATIBLE MOTHERBOARDS CLICK HERE
My hardware: Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 motherboard + i7 7700 CPU + Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK