Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
ADDING TRANSITIONS & TITLES FROM OLDER VERSIONS
mikey105 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Oregon Joined: Nov 23, 2009 19:25 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
As PD continues to evolve, some of the older Transitions and Titles in older versions are dropped. I have some in PD 8, 10, 11 and 14 that I would like to add to my PD 15 library. I have already looked in DZ, but those are all newer types, and apparently none of the early issue items are ever retained there in a historical file for access.

I could use some help in locating where these items are stored within the file structure of PD, and the best way to bring them into PD 15. Also if you know of any compatibility issues related to this idea I would like to hear from you also.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi mikey105 -

Some of this is still a bit of a mystery to me, particularly with a number of versions of PDR installed...

I guess you're asking about stock standard PDR titles and transitions? not custom or downloaded? Yes?

First up - where everything is (file paths):

1. Stock standard effects - C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\templates (in sub-folders) and some in C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirectorxx (version) (in sub-folders)

2. Custom effects - C:\Users\UserName\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\xx.0 (version) (in sub-folders)

3. Downloaded effects - C:\Users\Public\CyberLink (in sub-folders)

It is possible to copy the contents of sub-folders in 1. (above) from (say) PowerDirector 10 to the corresponding PowerDirector 15 folder, but you need to be careful with folder naming. It may result in a mess if you do it in bulk!

If there are particular titles/effects you want to transfer, so they're available in later versions, try:

1. Open (say) PDR10 & drop the effect you want to transfer into the timeline

2. Click Modify & save it as a new template (so it's now a custom effect)

3. Open (say) PDR15 and the custom template is in your library

It would be easier to advise if you had specific templates in mind.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
mikey105 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Oregon Joined: Nov 23, 2009 19:25 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi mikey105 -

Some of this is still a bit of a mystery to me, particularly with a number of versions of PDR installed...

I guess you're asking about stock standard PDR titles and transitions? not custom or downloaded? Yes?

First up - where everything is (file paths):

1. Stock standard effects - C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\templates (in sub-folders) and some in C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirectorxx (version) (in sub-folders)

2. Custom effects - C:\Users\UserName\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\xx.0 (version) (in sub-folders)

3. Downloaded effects - C:\Users\Public\CyberLink (in sub-folders)

It is possible to copy the contents of sub-folders in 1. (above) from (say) PowerDirector 10 to the corresponding PowerDirector 15 folder, but you need to be careful with folder naming. It may result in a mess if you do it in bulk!

If there are particular titles/effects you want to transfer, so they're available in later versions, try:

1. Open (say) PDR10 & drop the effect you want to transfer into the timeline

2. Click Modify & save it as a new template (so it's now a custom effect)

3. Open (say) PDR15 and the custom template is in your library

It would be easier to advise if you had specific templates in mind.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony! Yes - stock standard title and transitions. The file paths are what I needed most. I will take care to use some (meaningful to me) file names so as not to duplicate anything. I don't have all the various versions on the SAME computer, they are on a couple of different ones.
stevefrench73 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 15, 2015 22:30 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
I had to manually copy the files from the older PD files. I really wish the installer would search for older versions and copy the custom and downloaded templates, transistions, etc... But once I figured it out it wasn't too troublesome.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2017 23:49