Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PhotoDirector 8 Ultra...what a mess!
bobmitch [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2012 13:49 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
Installed it and I assume that because of MSI Afterburner 4.3, the software locks up. Even when Afterburner isn't running, the program loads slowly and you can't do anything within it for a few minutes. Then it becomes "more" responsive. Still can't load photos, or much else. If I click to see what version of the program I have (build 2031), it takes a few minutes for even that screen to load. Here are my system specs:

Asus X99-A with Intel i7 5820K

32 GB of DDR4-2666 in quad channel

EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0 with Nvidia drivers 375.70

Samsung 512 GB 840 Pro SSD C:

It is unfortunate that the program locks up the way it does. The MSI RTSS (monitors GPU speeds and fan control). I cannot use the program to do anything without locking up. Tried to load some photos, and nothing...but a black box in the middle of the screen.
[Post New]
Hello bobmitch,

You have a far superior PC setup than I'm using here, but I've not experienced any of "the mess" you've had. PhD functions smootly here, as it should for you. I often have monitoring software running (CAM), but without any ill-effects.

Though I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to suggest what might be the cause, I'd fairly confidently suggest that it's related to your installation/setup.

Is PhD8 installed in the default location, which would be your Samsung SSD C

Is there any other information you could provide to help resolve the problem?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
bobmitch [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2012 13:49 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello bobmitch,

You have a far superior PC setup than I'm using here, but I've not experienced any of "the mess" you've had. PhD functions smootly here, as it should for you. I often have monitoring software running (CAM), but without any ill-effects.

Though I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to suggest what might be the cause, I'd fairly confidently suggest that it's related to your installation/setup.

Is PhD8 installed in the default location, which would be your Samsung SSD C

Is there any other information you could provide to help resolve the problem?

PIX

Yes it was installed in the default directory of the SSD, which is my C: drive. I have another copy running on my MSI laptop and have no issues with it at all. Samsung SSD is the main C drive there as well. I am suspecting MSI Afterburner might be the culprit...but I have never ran a video card in the past 10 years without the program. It helps keep temps down by controlling the fan speeds of my Video card. In addition, it does have a display that is enabled in 3D mode that gives me the GPU speed, temp and fan speed at all times. On the laptop, I don't run Afterburner until I need it. Less hyper of a GPU there.
MrJoshua [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2014 21:26 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
I agree the load is a pain i bought the PD8 when i upgraded my powerdirector and at first run PD8 crashed when i imported pictures 2 time it was fine well if you can accept the program not responding message for as long as it takes to import the pictures its even worse then my pd5 it also locked up BUT once pd8 has done its job its smooth.

Last thing if you use this software a lot i would not have it installed on my ssd because the constant write to the ssd will shorten its life, but thats just my opinon i have 3 SSD 2x 250 1x 500 and they have gotten so slow because i read on the web to late that you can shorten the lifetime of your SSD if it writes and reads a lot i had WOW on 1 SSD with my os because of the fast load times well i played a lot of WOW now my ssd run slower then my hybrids

but if you have no problems with speed on your ssd then you just ignore my comment