Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
XAVC-L
Brian02 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 12, 2014 12:28 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Does anybody know if any file support is planned for PD on XAVC-L format?? There are a number of posts related to XAVC-S format but some of the new Sony cameras output a XAVC-L format. The other prosumer video editing packages have begun to include support for these but I can find nothing about Cyberlink's intention to support this format. This may require me to migrate to a new editing platform if I can't edit these files. Any insight is appreciated.
[Post New]
http://freemxfconverter.com/mxf-to-quicktime.htm

http://www.pavtube.com/guide/convert-transcode-canon-and-panasonic-mxf-to-mpeg-video.html

Just don't transcode to QT, go to mkv or mp4.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 02. 2016 05:30

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Brian02 -

I have no direct experience here but, from what I've read, SoNic67's suggestion of conversion/transcoding is going to be required... not just for PDR either!

SoNic67 - that first link's a bit of a worry. Quote: In order to edit MXF files in Premiere, you should choose a best codec or format for premiere editing, WMV format is the first choice. WMV?!@#?*

I came across a Vegas forum where Sony X70 users were discussing the same issue. The best suggestion there seemed to be to use Sony's own Catalyst Browse or Catalyst Prepare for transcoding ready for editing.

Downloaded one of the sample clips - XAVC-L in an MXF wrapper - & the software - but was unable to confirm. Apparently Browse/Prepare require OpenCL support.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 02. 2016 12:51

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
I also only get the information on Wikipedia that Cyberlink PowerDirector can native import and edit XAVC L files.
Brian02 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 12, 2014 12:28 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Appreciate the response. Looks like it won't happen right away, but I'm sure PD will accommodate it at some point. Until then, Pavtube or Freexf will be my solution. I don't think that handbrake can transcode it either, but I'm guessing they won't be too far behind given that they were H.265 compatible shortly after it was released. Thanks.
[Post New]
XAVC-L uses MXF as container and includes 10bit color depth, so it goes to professional like Sony PXW-Z100... ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365